From: Ron Weiss
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:39 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] prop size?

Does anyone have a suggested size prop I should run on a Subaru EJ 22,
165hp. at 5500rpm. 2 to 1 reduction. No pure wood props please....Ron

Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Ron Weiss <ronweiss4@...>

--Thanks Leon,I'll let you know if I need anymore info....Ron- In Q-
LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Leon - C" <leon@...> wrote:

Run the numbers through David Gall's Excel sheet for props. I'm
sure it's posted some where - maybe even on his site. If not I can
E-mail a copy.

Assuming 165 mph = 84 inch pitch and 76 inch dia.
==============
Leon
Does anyone have a suggested size prop I should run on a Subaru
EJ 22,
165hp. at 5500rpm. 2 to 1 reduction. No pure wood props
please....Ron

training Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

of Service.

Ron Weiss <ronweiss4@...>

-Hey Leon, If you could email me that sheet I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, Ron-- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Weiss" <ronweiss4@...>
wrote:

--Thanks Leon,I'll let you know if I need anymore info....Ron- In
Q-
LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Leon - C" <leon@> wrote:

Run the numbers through David Gall's Excel sheet for props. I'm
sure it's posted some where - maybe even on his site. If not I
can
E-mail a copy.

Assuming 165 mph = 84 inch pitch and 76 inch dia.
==============
Leon
Does anyone have a suggested size prop I should run on a
Subaru
EJ 22,
165hp. at 5500rpm. 2 to 1 reduction. No pure wood props
please....Ron

training Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

Terms
of Service.

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Ron why no wood props? They seem to be the most used.

Peter

_____

Does anyone have a suggested size prop I should run on a Subaru
EJ 22,
165hp. at 5500rpm. 2 to 1 reduction. No pure wood props
please....Ron

training Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation art

of Service.

-----------

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance&w1=Aviation+mainte
nance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Av
iation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=NYqbfr
CRSu-_RfVcTvi4nA> maintenance

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+training&w1=Aviati
on+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+scho
ols&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.s
ig=UheaD83XCnCASim3ftrZHw> maintenance training

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w1=Aviatio
n+maintenance&w2=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schoo
ls&w4=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.si
g=aX8ElLSzXlWeeJ4RuRL4kw> maintenance schools

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2=Avi
ation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+maint
enance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dx8FsS6KYgxHm3RuBm
YoSA>

Aviation
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Aviation+art&w1=Aviation+maintenance&w2
=Aviation+maintenance+training&w3=Aviation+maintenance+schools&w4=Aviation+m
aintenance+schools&w5=Aviation&w6=Aviation+art&c=6&s=161&.sig=dRTZGQXiIldZ3q
X6IHfOfQ> art

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

_____

John ten

Ron,

I second Peter's comments and unless you have an overpowering
predjudice against natural composites, suggest that you consider the
following :

Gyroscopic loads

post propstrike consequences

chances of getting the prop exactly right first try

repairability away from home

ability to fabricate replacements

John

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@...> wrote:

[...]

--I'm not comfortable with a wood prop spinning so quickly on a 165
hp. at 5500 rpm's. Besides, my two closest quickie buddies both
through wood props! Both are here to tell their stories, but, I'm
not willing to take that chance....Ron- In Q-

wrote:

[...]

LIST> "
on the web.

_____

John Loram <johnl@...>

Curiosity drive me to ask; are you running the prop at crankshaft
speeds (5500rpm)?

[...]

Ron as I understand your first post you will be running a 2:1 reduction so
that 5500 engine rpm will correspond to 2750 prop rpm which is fine. The
prop will start to lose efficiency above 3500rpm. Running 5500 prop rpm is
not for happy props.

Peter

_____

----
-----------

[...]

-Sorry Guy's, Brain Fart! Still, I know of two that have failed.
Makes me nervous....Ron-- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Harris"
<peterjfharris@...> wrote:

[...]

* Visit your group "Q-LIST
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Q-
LIST> "
on the web.

subject=Unsubscribe>

_____

[...]

this just does not make a lot of sense. I know of Quickies that have
crashed. Using this logic, I should not fly one. Metal and composite
props fail too. If they failed they were either improperly designed,
improperly built or misused. You may also wish to out for yourself
what damage was done to the engine, post failure. Unless you intend to
repeat the mistakes of the past, find out why those failed, remove
that failure mode, get a prop made by a reputable builder and fly it
with confidence.

Nervous is fine - it keeps you alive, irrational fear prevents living.

John
Sydney

<peterjfharris@> wrote:

[...]

--I just asked for help with the size. My fears, irrational or not ,
are mine. I would appreciate a direct answer. If you don't have one,
well, you know what they say about opinions....Ron - In Q-

<peterjfharris@> wrote:

Ron as I understand your first post you will be running a 2:1
reduction so
that 5500 engine rpm will correspond to 2750 prop rpm which is
fine. The
prop will start to lose efficiency above 3500rpm. Running 5500
prop rpm is
not for happy props.

Peter

_____

Does anyone have a suggested size prop I should run on
Subaru
EJ 22,
165hp. at 5500rpm. 2 to 1 reduction. No pure wood
props
please....Ron

maintenance
training Aviation maintenance schools
Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation
art

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
Yahoo!
[...]

Steve Ham <sham@...>

Take a chill pill Ron, the concept of this list is for experienced opinions.
If you need a direct answer, there are other sources. A&Ps,

IAs, reference books ect..but of course those will cost you.

Steve Ham

--
----
-----------

[...]

--- Relax Steve, My attempt at humor wasen't very funny. However
here's my dilemma. In the last couple of weeks I've been trying to
get info on the airsoob site. I have a Subie-Lyc 2.2. Apparently no
one with this set up has logged on in the last couple of weeks
because all the info I can get is that some reduction units don't
like 2 bladed wood props(harmonic issues). One guy used a Prince and
liked the performance, but, there was this vibration? He seemed to
like his Warp Drive, however, it didn't perform as well! Still, I
didn't get measurements for my motor( diameter, pitch, breast size)?
I've been to many different propeller websites with the same "aren't
really sure" answer. Catto even flatly refused and sent me to
Prince! A@P's seem to twitch when I mention Subaru. I don't mind
paying for information, but, I can't seem to find any. Leon sent me
a "prop size sheet" that didn't get through. Finley's website won't
come up, however, I do recall very few specs, mostly set up. I do
remember him running or ran a Warp Drive. So, if anyone comes across
a high performance airplane with a Subaru 2.2 in the nose, if you
could please take a moment and ask him or her....What size prop are
you running? I'd really appreciate it! Ron
In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ham" <sham@...> wrote:

[...]

I think Jon Finley was running a three blade warp drive. You might try to
contact Reg Clarke at Air-Soob. He has a lot of experience with Soob's.
There are some RV 6s running Suburu's. Might try their group. Hope this
helps.

Steve Ham

--- Thanks, RonIn Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ham" <sham@...>

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-
LIST@yahoogroups.com]
On
Behalf Of
Ron Weiss

[...]

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:
subject=Unsubscribe>

[...]

Steve the limiting factor will probably be the diameter. The largest diam
will be most efficient. If you decide Warp Drive best to go for the largest
diam. ie 60" for a Q Dragger; ? for the triQ. Then adjust pitch so you get a
satisfactory ground run RPM say 4500rpm.-5000rpm , then go fly. Test and
keep adjusting prop pitch until you get 5500 rpm at WOT level flight.

Note that the CF blades are more easily broken than a wood prop.and more
prone to vibration.

Peter

_____

[...]

David J. Gall

Ron,

The spreadsheet Leon tried to send you is located here:
http://david.gall.com/files/Airplane/Prop-100.xls.
It is based on NACA Technical Memorandum 212. It should be sufficient to get
you "into the ballpark" for your propeller selection. It can recommend pitch
and diameter for either a two- or a three-bladed prop.

Your reported propeller failures sound like resonance problems. With a 2:1
reduction, the propeller is in lock-step with the vibration of the engine
from the power pulses. This is not due to "some reduction units" but is
characteristic of the gear ratio and the orientation of the propeller. Most
reduciton units use a different, non-integer ratio in an effort to alleviate
this problem. Some use various vibration dampeners, but the real problem is
the ratio and the orientation of the propeller.

For a reduction unit with an integer ratio or for a direct drive engine,
(assuming a horizontally-opposed engine like a Subaru or Continental) the
propeller needs to be installed in such a manner that it is horizontal when
the power pulses occur throughout the crankshaft rotation. This is referred
to as "clocking" the prop. Set the engine at Top Dead Center then install
the prop with the blades horizontal.

If you install the prop with the blades vertical when the engine is at TDC,
then the power pulses impart a bending load on the prop as they move the
prop hub laterally left-to-right while the prop is aligned vertically. This
bends the prop and sets it to oscillating. If the natural oscillating
frequency of the prop is close to a whole-number multiple of the RPM,
resonance may occur. Even absent resonance, large forces may build up in the
prop or in the friction surface where the prop is clamped in the prop
hub/crush plate, leading to prop failure.

See the file "Installing Wood Propellers.rtf" in the files area or try this
link for more info:
http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wP2ERN5XhWLms7lChuzq63Jm4Lag52JrmvgqpGHOoOPIEPR
Np3D-AnqusooTSR48-zr837BdIKoeWR27ce1vF2SdJGKUea4G/Installing%20Wood%20Propel
lers.rtf

David J. Gall

--- Awesome info!!!! Thanks,RonIn Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "David J.