Custom Wing Tips

Joseph Snow <1flashq@...>

I am getting ready to install Nav lights in the Main wing tips and atop the vertical stabilizer. I will be carving the wing tips and top of the vertical stabilizer from blue foam; then, covering with a 2 layers of BID. I then want to make custom clear plastic lens where the position light will be installed.

I remember someone on the list describing how the lens were made. It seems the clear plastic is heated to about 300 deg., then forced over the part or a mold of the part to stretch and form the clear plastic. After cooling, the formed plastic is trimmed and installed.

Has anyone on the list done something like this? Can you point me to a detailed description, perhaps in Q-talk, on the Web, a book or article? What type of plastic?
How thick originally? Temperature? Etc.

Thanks,

Joseph Snow

britmcman99

Companies like the _Aircraft Windshield Company_
(http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjse6ddEH.4A2YhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBxbnNibGg1BGNvbG8DdwRzZWMDc2MEdnRpZANGNjY1Xz
k5/SIG=170p24qhn/EXP=1155087006/**http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=dd-local-t
l1&id=20566456&stx=aircraft+windshield+company&csz=Los+Alamitos+CA&ed=FNuYn616
0Swp1owPbCQmDG0kdo.A14yYPcTEvluYJGxt_gc3lLEUq96TmliCa37E1e5tKsc-) - (562)
430-8108 - 10871 Kyle St, Los Alamitos, CA - routinely carry molds of various
aircraft canopies and window. They stretch plexi all the time. Once, I had a
custom part built for my motorcycle windscreen. There are probably a
number of places near you that could assist. If you make a nice internal mold
shape, it probably would not amount to much to get them to warm up some material
and stretch a part. It only requires a convex mold side.

Phil Lankford

Mark A. Pearson <wlkabout@...>

Sam (Hoskins), do you have Dave Eksrom's address, he can do this or describe how it's done. I lost his address the last time I had to deal with a worm or something.

Mark Pearson