Revmaster

Dave Dugas

To the Revmaster Guys,
During removal of my plugs during a routine inspection, I spotted a small crack on the surface of the head where the spark plug washer makes contact. Sure enough after removing the heads I discovered cracks in 3 other places. I suspected them, because pulling the prop through the cycle, compression was poor in 3 out of 4 cylinders. I've been flying a lot lately and the Revmaster has been running great, but I have noticed about a 50 rpm or so drop from the normal 3100 rpm during climbout. I've flown with these heads for over 350 hours with no problems, until discovering the cracks. These heads are the second set that have been on the engine...the first set lasted about 100 hours, and had to be changed as a result of not checking the torque of the head bolts, causing a lean mixture and sticking a valve. The engine sat in a corner of my garage and hangar for over 17 years during construction.
I've flown with this engine for over 460 hours, and loved every minute of it! I just ordered a new set of heads from Revmaster, and in talking with Joe at Revmaster, I've also ordered the auto spark plug conversion for the magneto wires. Joe explained that the plug hole for the auto plugs is smaller in diameter, allowing more metal remaining in the weak area between the plug hole and the valve. Hopefully the heads will last longer this way. I will report my experience when I do the deed. Joe also said that the mags should be serviced every 500 hours or 5 years. I'll be doing that also, as I'm at about 460 hours, and 18 years overdue.
I'm also replacing the black rubber motor mounts with the new red neoprene ones, hopefully straightening out the spinner / cowl gap.
I do quite a bit of cross country traveling with my Q2, and so I've ordered a Trutrak Pictorial Pilot auto pilot to install this fall. I can't wait to see how it works because opening the sectionals in a little rough air can get pretty wild. Aircraft Spruce had a good price at $1970.00 with the servo included. It's the 3 1/8" version, and a better price than right from Trutrak. I'll report on that installation as well.

Dave Dugas
(( Jim P, I'm going to get this issue af Kitplane, so that I can show off the article and say, "I know this guy." Hope all is going well, and missed Oshkosh this year. Congratulations on the article. ))

http://mail.yahoo.com

Larry Severson

I've also ordered the auto spark plug conversion for the magneto wires. Joe explained that the plug hole for the auto plugs is smaller in diameter,
You will not be able to get plug removal sockets for it. I had to take a 5/8 long socket and grind it down to fit in the available space.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com

Dave Dugas

Larry,
Other than that, how is the auto plug conversion working out? Dave D

larry severson <larry2@socal.rr.com> wrote:

I've also ordered the auto spark plug conversion for the magneto
wires. Joe explained that the plug hole for the auto plugs is
smaller in diameter,
You will not be able to get plug removal sockets for it. I had to
take a 5/8 long socket and grind it down to fit in the available space.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

I'm not recommending a Great Plains VW head, but when they machine their 2nd hole it has enough material removed to get your socket around the plug. I'm very surprized Revmaster doesn't do the same. Dave, maybe you should ask for it to be done.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Other than that, how is the auto plug conversion working out? Dave D

larry severson <larry2@socal.rr.com> wrote:

> I've also ordered the auto spark plug conversion for the magneto
> wires. Joe explained that the plug hole for the auto plugs is
> smaller in diameter,

You will not be able to get plug removal sockets for it. I had to
take a 5/8 long socket and grind it down to fit in the available space.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com

quickieq2uk

Guys,

I have the 75hp heads with the auto spark plug conversion and I have no problems fitting a socket in the top or bottom of the heads, when the intake manifolds are removed. When they are on it is still achieveable just a bit more tricky.

Regards,

Simon Wilson
United Kingdom
Q2 G-OSAW

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@cox.net> wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------

Dave Dugas

Doug,

Good point. Joe from Revmaster will be calling me when he gets close to shipping, and that will be the first thing I ask him about. Thanks Doug. Dave D

[...]

Simon...That's good to know....thanks for the info. Dave D

Simon Wilson <quickieq2uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: Guys,

[...]

John Wirta <john.wirta@...>

Hey Guys.

I've had nothing but spark plug problems with my 75 HP
Revmaster heads since I started flying my Q2 in 1982. The thought of
rebuilding the firewall for the O200 and repainting the reworked fuselage
was just more than I wanted to deal with. Cracked heads and galled plug
holes were common in my Revmaster experience. In July of 2005 on take off a
plug finally popped out of the head (a first in all the time I've flown my Q
since /82). It's now Aug /06 and I just got my Q back in the air with new
Revmaster heads with the 12 mm sparkplug holes. Are my problems finally over
with this change.time will tell!

_____

larry severson <larry2@socal. <mailto:larry2%40socal.rr.com> rr.com> wrote:

I've also ordered the auto spark plug conversion for the magneto
wires. Joe explained that the plug hole for the auto plugs is
smaller in diameter,
You will not be able to get plug removal sockets for it. I had to
take a 5/8 long socket and grind it down to fit in the available space.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal. <mailto:larry2%40socal.rr.com> rr.com

Dave Dugas

John
How many hours between replacements? I've got 350 hours on these heads, I'd be happy to get that again. Dave Dugas

John Wirta <john.wirta@sympatico.ca> wrote:
[...]

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Or ask Revmaster if they sell a spark plug socket or recommend a brand

Mike Perry

Doug Humble <<mailto:hawkidoug%40cox.net>hawkidoug@cox.net> wrote:
I'm not recommending a Great Plains VW head, but when they machine their
2nd hole it has enough material removed to get your socket around the
plug. I'm very surprized Revmaster doesn't do the same. Dave, maybe you
should ask for it to be done.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble

REBECCA SIMPSON

I have a spam can project with a revmaster and to get the lower plugs/plug wires, I went to the harware store and got the $1.99 cheap spark plug wrench made from what looks like thinwall pipe. I cut a slot in the side to allow to get around the plug wire and use the 2nd one to get the plug. Sure made it easy for me.

Tad

Steve <sham@...>

Tad, I bought a deepwell socket and ground the outside diameter. Works well.

Steve Ham

I have a spam can project with a revmaster and to get the lower plugs/plug wires, I went to the harware store and got the $1.99 cheap spark plug wrench made from what looks like thinwall pipe. I cut a slot in the side to allow to get around the plug wire and use the 2nd one to get the plug. Sure made it easy for me.

Tad

---------------------------------
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Larry Severson

At 08:46 PM 8/11/2006, you wrote:

Larry,
Other than that, how is the auto plug conversion working out? Dave D
My only problem so far has been engine cooling. The engine starts and runs the same, but spark plugs are a lot cheaper.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com

Larry Severson

At 06:36 AM 8/12/2006, you wrote:

I'm not recommending a Great Plains VW head, but when they machine their 2nd hole it has enough material removed to get your socket around the plug. I'm very surprized Revmaster doesn't do the same. Dave, maybe you should ask for it to be done.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
Joe's explanation is that the extra fin removal would result in less strength in the bolt area. The whole change over was caused by head cracks in the bolt area.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com

Larry Severson

At 08:42 PM 8/12/2006, you wrote:

Or ask Revmaster if they sell a spark plug socket or recommend a brand
They don't, except to say "Buy a quality socket". They sent me a ground down one.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com