Jim Patillo

Who is this?

The Q rudder is fine.Plenty of authority in x winds and steering. The
problem is there is not enough weight on the tailwheel to make it steer. The
reflexor takes care of that . It corrects how the parts wher glued together in
building.

Dave Carlson
Q2 Revmaster 400 +hrs never dinged. In garage for sale.

dkeats <dkeats@...>

Alaska Chris------------- The two most common reasons for the Qs going off the runway are, they don't have the Gall wheel alignment and the other is the pilot doesn't keep up with the airplane. You gotta remember , these airplanes are doing alot with the amount of hp they have. I feel they are a high performance airplane. Put on top of that , they are taildraggers and you may have a handfull for the normal C-150 driver. Anyone with 100 hrs in a Q or Dragonfly manages to handle these airplanes no problem.
At my home airport there are pilots flying the 25 million dollar CL415 turbine water bombers, and they look at me in awe when I do a performance takeoff. They understand their is no teacher like experience. Learn to fly them and you'll fall in love.----------------Canada Chris

chrishazlitt <chrishazlitt@...>

I want a flying Q1... trying to get the money together now for when
the right opportunity presents itself. That is why so many questions
from me trying to zero in on the most predominant cause for troubles,
didn't mean to get anyones dander up with so many newbie questions,
it's settled now... I appreciate Jim's willingness to go to the extent
he did to educate me but if someone wants to flame me for being
stupid, please email me directly in the future. :)

--- In Q-LIST@..., Q2FLYBOY@... wrote:

The Q rudder is fine.Plenty of authority in x winds and steering.
The
problem is there is not enough weight on the tailwheel to make it
steer. The
reflexor takes care of that . It corrects how the parts wher glued
together in
building.

Dave Carlson
Q2 Revmaster 400 +hrs never dinged. In garage for sale.

No flaming here Chris, if you took it that way I apologize. I'm one of
the biggest Q proponents you will ever come across. I spent 20 years
and 4000 hours making my dream come true. I'm happy to hear you're
considering a Q, your continued enthusiam and that you are asking
questions.

It's just these questions along with a handful of others are always
the ones asked from new people that get on this list. If you would
simply take the time to reserach the archives you would find 99% the
information you are looking for. Why not give it a try. If you then
can't find the answer ask away and you'll get the answer.

We don't need a bigger rudder or a different wing or rocket assisted
take offs. We've been there and done that. The plane works fine the
way it is. Good luck in your venture.

Best regards,
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

--- In Q-LIST@..., Q2FLYBOY@ wrote:

The Q rudder is fine.Plenty of authority in x winds and steering.
The
problem is there is not enough weight on the tailwheel to make it
steer. The
reflexor takes care of that . It corrects how the parts wher glued
together in
building.

Dave Carlson
Q2 Revmaster 400 +hrs never dinged. In garage for sale.

chrishazlitt <chrishazlitt@...>

I was primed to react, was bit twice by two others on boards related
to the Q or DF and had a short fuse earlier today for other reasons.
My momma always said I was "too sensitive"...

LOL..

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Jim Patillo"

--- In Q-LIST@..., Q2FLYBOY@ wrote:

The Q rudder is fine.Plenty of authority in x winds and
steering.
The
problem is there is not enough weight on the tailwheel to make
it
steer. The
reflexor takes care of that . It corrects how the parts wher
glued
together in
building.

Dave Carlson
Q2 Revmaster 400 +hrs never dinged. In garage for sale.

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

HI Cris:

So your looking for a Q1? I usually scan over these things and perhaps missed the Q1 thing earlier. Not that much Q1 stuff on the LIST.

My reason for writing is that you will get more informative answers to your questions from the Q1 crowd than the Q2 guys. Mainly because most Q2 fellas have never flown a Q1. And most Q1 fellas have had a ride in a Q2. Therefore your handling questions for the Q1 will most likly get different answers from the Q1 guys. The two Q's are really quite different animals despite looking the same.

Now to ease your pain a bit. The Q1 is slow, performance similar in stall and cruise to a C-150. That kind of plane performance wise, at least with the Onan. It ain't fast on landing, final at 70 and touchdown in the mid 50's, very responsive to control input and very pleasantly responsive to aileron steering on the ground at speeds 20 and above. The rudder is more than enough to execute a very nice slip when needed, it slips just as good as my C-170 proving the rudder is FINE, I get so blown away at these rudder discussions they are so unnecessary, ever wonder why the flyers never complain about the rudder only the builders and dreamers?, and together with the ailerons the directional control is more than adequate in x-winds.

The only control surface with which I would like to see more authority are the ailerons. When in a steep 60+ degree bank I personally would like the plane to roll out a little faster. The learning curve will be more concentrated with the stuff not necessarily associated with with the span cans like learning the tricks of aileron steering, very cool when mastered, the landing configuration as opposed to the flying configuration. Most don't realize the Q1 is in climb configuration when setting on the ground. The configuration from flying to landing flair will take a little getting used to but that will come quickly. On the other hand the Q2 definately benefits from a few upgrades, the Gall and 6 pack, but the Q1 doesn't it's good per plans.

All in all the Q1 is a fine flying machine which doesn't need deviated from the plans. Build it per those plans and you will have a plane to enjoy for many years.

Keith Welsh
340+ hrs N494K
Flying since May 1989

P.S. I can understand why Jim and others get flamed at rudder and handling questions. Got any idea how many times they have answered them? Where these notions come from is a mystery to me but they sure linger from generation to generation. Just like going from a C-150 to a Super Decathlon there is a learning curve and patients and knowledge is golden.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Q2FLYBOY@... wrote:

> The Q rudder is fine.Plenty of authority in x winds and steering.
The
> problem is there is not enough weight on the tailwheel to make it
steer. The
> reflexor takes care of that . It corrects how the parts wher glued
together in
> building.
>
> Dave Carlson
> Q2 Revmaster 400 +hrs never dinged. In garage for sale.

James Cartwright <james.cartwright@...>

Chris,

If you are looking for a direct answer then look at it this way. The airplane does not need a bigger rudder and the handling problems are not due to the landing gear being on the wing tip. Here is one example to debunk that theory. A Pitts S-1 one has just as much directional instability as a Q and it has a conventional landing gear and a much larger rudder. The biggest problem is wheel alignment just like in a car with high speeds if you do not have a proper alignment on the car it can become very twitchy and easily run out of control where at lower speeds you would not recognize a problem with the alignment. Just my opinion.

James Cartwright
Q-200
Piper Cub
Wanna be Q-1 Owner

Lebanon TN.

From: larry severson <larry2@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Jim Patillo
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:30:42 -0700

It's just these questions along with a handful of others are always
the ones asked from new people that get on this list. If you would
simply take the time to reserach the archives you would find 99% the
information you are looking for. Why not give it a try. If you then
can't find the answer ask away and you'll get the answer.
Last I checked, it costs $400 to get a chance to research the
archives. I plan on spending the money when I get ahead, but it isn't
a simple task of "go look it up", or maybe after 2 + years of hanging
around I still am clueless.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Jim Patillo

Yor clueless my old pal! Its at the top of the message page just
before this one a box, in which you type your question and press
search and viola it appears! Oh by the way, its FREE. Now that's not
difficult is it?

Jim P.

Are you comin' up nex week?

At 07:10 PM 8/13/2006, you wrote:

Yor clueless my old pal! Its at the top of the message page just
before this one a box, in which you type your question and press
search and viola it appears! Oh by the way, its FREE. Now that's not
difficult is it?
I am still clueless. I went to the group page, and found no way to get to the archives. Must be simple in my old age.

Jim P.

Are you comin' up nex week?
With my wife. I need a whole lot more enlightenment, plus a bit of fun, AND that great turkey.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

Ron Weiss <ronweiss4@...>

--larry, when you click on to messages, look under the word message.
there will be 2 boxes...message# box and search box. ignore the
message # box. type in any subject you wish to look up in the search
box, then press go! all of the questions and answers regarding that
topic will come up, hence, your in the archive! good luck, Ron- In Q-

Ron Triano <rondefly@...>

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com, larry
severson <larry2@...> wrote:

It's just these questions along with a handful of others are always
the ones asked from new people that get on this list. If you would
simply take the time to reserach the archives you would find 99% the
information you are looking for. Why not give it a try. If you then
can't find the answer ask away and you'll get the answer.
Last I checked, it costs $400 to get a chance to research the
archives. I plan on spending the money when I get ahead, but it isn't
a simple task of "go look it up", or maybe after 2 + years of hanging
around I still am clueless.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

I think a lot of new Q drivers run into trouble because they are not looking
at the far end of the runway. Resist the temptation to look at the
foreground. The landing roll is a bit like carrying a very full cup of
coffee. Look at the coffee and you will sure as hell spill it. It is not
possible for a driver with normal reaction time , to steer a Quickie if not
watching the far end of the runway.

My view.

Peter (no ground loops)

_____

off the runway are, they don't have the Gall wheel alignment and the
other is the pilot doesn't keep up with the airplane. You gotta remember
, these airplanes are doing alot with the amount of hp they have. I feel
they are a high performance airplane. Put on top of that , they are
taildraggers and you may have a handfull for the normal C-150 driver.
Anyone with 100 hrs in a Q or Dragonfly manages to handle these
airplanes no problem.
At my home airport there are pilots flying the 25 million dollar CL415
turbine water bombers, and they look at me in awe when I do a
performance takeoff. They understand their is no teacher like
experience. Learn to fly them and you'll fall in
love.----------------Canada Chris

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

Just like motorcycle riding.

Pat

I think a lot of new Q drivers run into trouble because they are not
looking
at the far end of the runway. Resist the temptation to look at the
foreground. The landing roll is a bit like carrying a very full cup of
coffee. Look at the coffee and you will sure as hell spill it. It is not
possible for a driver with normal reaction time , to steer a Quickie if
not
watching the far end of the runway.

My view.

Peter (no ground loops)

njepsen@ihug.co.nz <njepsen@...>

This is excellent advice Peter and something that I personally adhere too with my 2 tail draggers. But it is rarely taught by instructors. It also explains why its always easier to steer a TG ( IMHO) after the tail comes up, because then you can see better and the eye can see the errors earlier and the corrections become smaller but further ahead of the 8 ball.
Hope all is well with you. Stanica & I are shivering in the cold NZ winter at the moment. We will be over your way again in a couple of months at a shooting competition at Belmont, so are looking forward to a little of the warmer clime!
Neil

Peter Harris wrote:

[...]

Hi Neil,

Regards to Stanica, and call by ifd you are visiting.

Cheers,

Peter

_____

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com
<mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com
off the runway are, they don't have the Gall wheel alignment and the
other is the pilot doesn't keep up with the airplane. You gotta remember
, these airplanes are doing alot with the amount of hp they have. I feel
they are a high performance airplane. Put on top of that , they are
taildraggers and you may have a handfull for the normal C-150 driver.
Anyone with 100 hrs in a Q or Dragonfly manages to handle these
airplanes no problem.
At my home airport there are pilots flying the 25 million dollar CL415
turbine water bombers, and they look at me in awe when I do a
performance takeoff. They understand their is no teacher like
experience. Learn to fly them and you'll fall in
love.----------------Canada Chris

njepsen@ihug.co.nz <njepsen@...>

Thanks peter. We probably may not be that far north, but if so, i'll give you a ring first.
neil

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com