From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:51 AM
To: Q-LIST
Subject: [Q-LIST] Anyone help with Crazing and sunbumps

Can anyone advise how to deal with local crazing and
sunbumps? I have several areas on the Tri-Q I am restoring
where there are small patches (1-2" dia ) that need local
repair, the main area around them and the underneath glass is
in good condition, and I do not want to strip the whole thing
to repair them. I can find loads on finishing the new
airframe, but cannot see much so far on repairs of this type.
Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard Thomson
Weston s Mare , UK
Tri-Q G-BMFN ( 21 yrs since 1st reg. this month )
Viggen@cloudland.co.uk

Sharon Ricke <rickes@...>

Richard

I'm retired from SW PAINT Co. Auto Div. I have worked on a few Vetts.I'll need more info to help.
Jim in Oregon
541 409 6269

Can anyone advise how to deal with local crazing and sunbumps? I have
several areas on the Tri-Q I am restoring where there are small patches
(1-2" dia ) that need local repair, the main area around them and the
underneath glass is in good condition, and I do not want to strip the whole
thing to repair them. I can find loads on finishing the new airframe, but
cannot see much so far on repairs of this type. Can someone point me in the
right direction please.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard Thomson
Weston s Mare , UK
Tri-Q G-BMFN ( 21 yrs since 1st reg. this month )
Viggen@cloudland.co.uk

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Sun bumps? See: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1653/re1.html

If sun bumps are areas where the paint is raised then you will likely find the area to be much larger than the bump you see.

Mike Q200

Richard Thomson wrote:

Can anyone advise how to deal with local crazing and sunbumps? I have
several areas on the Tri-Q I am restoring where there are small patches
(1-2" dia ) that need local repair, the main area around them and the
underneath glass is in good condition, and I do not want to strip the whole
thing to repair them. I can find loads on finishing the new airframe, but
cannot see much so far on repairs of this type. Can someone point me in the
right direction please.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard Thomson
Weston s Mare , UK
Tri-Q G-BMFN ( 21 yrs since 1st reg. this month )
Viggen@cloudland.co.uk

Richard,

Are you refering to delaminations? Have you taken a coin and tapped
the area? Sun bumps don't ring a bell. Was this plane sitting in
outside in the sun for a long time? Where are these "bumps located
on the plane"? Is it the main or canard? Which canard do you have?

There's a straight forward and simple fix if the delamination is the
size of a silver dollar or smaller and I can explain how to do that
fix. Larger delams need to be addressed differently and I can
explain that too. Your problem is repairable but you need to be sure
of whats going on between teh skin and foam.

Many times when sun beats down on a canard or wing for a prolonged
time areas delaminate. The problem is the top part fo the foam gets
brittle, the skin breaks loose and creates a dust barrier between
the skin and foam......not good!

Regards,

Jim Patillo Q200

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Thomson" <richard@...> wrote:

Can anyone advise how to deal with local crazing and
sunbumps? I have
several areas on the Tri-Q I am restoring where there are small
patches
(1-2" dia ) that need local repair, the main area around them and
the
underneath glass is in good condition, and I do not want to strip
the whole
thing to repair them. I can find loads on finishing the new
airframe, but
cannot see much so far on repairs of this type. Can someone point
me in the
right direction please.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard Thomson
Weston s Mare , UK
Tri-Q G-BMFN ( 21 yrs since 1st reg. this month )
Viggen@...

Jim Patillo

Richard,

I misread your post before I spoke, sorry. I guess these are just
blisters between the glass and paint primer you are refering to.

Why can't you carefully sand thru the affected area, use some light
weight filler and repaint?

Sorry for the misunderstanding,
Jim Patillo Q200

Richard Thomson wrote:
[...]

Thats OK Jim, I do have a fairly good understanding of bonded structures
from years of being in metal rotor blade manufacture. The old tap test was
the inspectors main weapon in the detect a delam stakes. Thankfully to date
the main structure seems sound except for several bumps mainly on the main
wing areas about mid span, quite a ways from the centre brace areas. There
is some underfiller peeling at the wing fairing area, but when picked off
the glass surface taps a treat. I hope I do not find too much like Mike had
with the paint peeling, but to date the bumps I've picked at seem fairly
localised.
It has been outside in all weathers for a few years, with just a cover, and
my first thoughts were it would be scrap, but as I have surveyed it further
it has been a pleasant surprise, and so far the main structure seems to be
quite sound, I think it had a full paint job about 7 years ago, which may be
why it is still reasonable.
I intend to remove the tailcone and pick at that first, and practice
localised repairs and refinishing. then attack the main wing afterwards.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies to this thread.