What paint finish is the modern approach ?

Richard Thomson

Hi Guys,
I am at the point where I need to put primer and top coat on the TriQ.
I had been looking at using 2 pack polyurethane with epoxy primer. But
before I go down that road, what is everyone else using and why ?

Richard Thomson
G-BMFN Tri Q
Weston S Mare UK
richard@...

David Chalmers <David@...>

I was planning to also use a 2-part Polyurethane but after talking to Ken Miller on the canard-aviators list he recommended an acrylic urethane for ease of repair. He suggested that it is difficult to repair a polyurethane finish. I painted the gear leg with the poly and the the rest was done in PPG Concept (an acrylic urethane). It worked fine - however I have noticed that the PPG Concept takes a slight stain from the exhaust output. I haven't tried to repair either yet so can't verify Ken's statement but he has a lot of experience with Ezes. I used PPG K36 primer - it is great stuff, goes on dark grey but changes colour as soon as you touch it so it acts as a guide coat.

Dave Chalmers
Redmond, WA
TriQ200 N4016G

I am at the point where I need to put primer and top coat on the TriQ.
I had been looking at using 2 pack polyurethane with epoxy primer. But
before I go down that road, what is everyone else using and why ?

Richard Thomson
G-BMFN Tri Q
Weston S Mare UK
richard@...

Robert Bounds

You need to put on a sanding primer if you haven't already done that. I'd recommend a catalyzed urethane primer. When it's sanded to 320 or 400 grit and all nice and level, shoot a coat of epoxy sealer and then immediately follow with a catalyzed urethane or acrylic urethane topcoat. Just remember to pick one brand to use all the way through and follow their instructions. Use some kind of EFFECTIVE breathing system, this stuff will kill you. (or use one of the water based systems that pop up once in awhile. They won't kill you, they just look crappy and fall off in two years.;-)
Bounds

I am at the point where I need to put primer and top coat on the TriQ.
I had been looking at using 2 pack polyurethane with epoxy primer. But
before I go down that road, what is everyone else using and why ?

Richard Thomson
G-BMFN Tri Q
Weston S Mare UK
richard@...

Terry Adams

Interlux Brightside one part polyurethane, easy application, high gloss, excellent flow and leveling characteristics as well as incredible abrasion and chemical resistance. Brightside also takes advantage of the latest in ultraviolet technology. After people comment on how beautiful the finish is and admire their reflection in the glossy finish, I drop the bomb and tell them I painted it myself, with a roller, a 99 cent mini foam roller.
I applied 1 1/2 gallons of finish in two coats, sanded between coats, wet sanded with 1200, buffed with 3M Perfect-It. Brightside was $100 gl.

Terry Adams