Off Topic - SIU girl makes good!

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

I know this is off topic, but I just had to brag a little about my alma
mater, Southern Illinois University.

Joan Higginbotham, a 1987 SIU electrical engineering grad, is currently
circling the earth, repairing the Space station. Pretty darn cool. I have
never met her but we're pretty proud of her.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/higginbo.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Regards,

Sam Hoskins - Q-200

Currently limited to the troposphere

www.samhoskins.blogspot.com

http://home.mchsi.com/~shoskins/index.htm

Allan Farr <afarr@...>

Yes it is definitely cool, but what's an "alma mater"?
Allan F

I know this is off topic, but I just had to brag a little about my alma
mater, Southern Illinois University.

Joan Higginbotham, a 1987 SIU electrical engineering grad, is currently
circling the earth, repairing the Space station. Pretty darn cool. I have
never met her but we're pretty proud of her.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/higginbo.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Regards,

Sam Hoskins - Q-200

Currently limited to the troposphere

www.samhoskins.blogspot.com

http://home.mchsi.com/~shoskins/index.htm

Larry Hamm <LDHAMM@...>

"Alma mater is Latin for "nourishing mother". It was used in ancient Rome as a title for the mother goddess, and in Medieval Christianity for the Virgin Mary.

It is now a term mainly used in academia as a sobriquet for the university or college a person has attended. This usage is taken from the full name ("Alma Mater Studiorum Universit di Bologna") of the oldest European university, the University of Bologna." (Wikipedia)

Now, if she just builds and flies a Quickie, she'll really have it made!

Larry Hamm

Allan Farr wrote:

Yes it is definitely cool, but what's an "alma mater"?
Allan F
I know this is off topic, but I just had to brag a little about my alma
mater, Southern Illinois University.
Joan Higginbotham, a 1987 SIU electrical engineering grad, is currently
circling the earth, repairing the Space station. Pretty darn cool. I have
never met her but we're pretty proud of her.
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/higginbo.html
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html
Regards,
Sam Hoskins - Q-200
Currently limited to the troposphere
www.samhoskins.blogspot.com
http://home.mchsi.com/~shoskins/index.htm

Bruce Crain

Good job SIU! Sammy you will have to offer her a ride in a real
aircraft when you get the chance!
Bruce

Allan Farr <afarr@...>

Thanks - so she looked after students at Southern Illinois University.
AF

"Alma mater is Latin for "nourishing mother". It was used in ancient
Rome as a title for the mother goddess, and in Medieval Christianity for
the Virgin Mary.

It is now a term mainly used in academia — as a sobriquet for the
university or college a person has attended. This usage is taken from
the full name ("Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna") of the