Engine cowling fire protection

Richard Thomson

Hi All,
Merry Christmas to you.
Under the upper cowling on my Tri, there is the remnants of some white
substance which is flaking off, looks something like heavy weight
dandruff. I suspect it was a fireproof protective coating in its past
life. Does anyone have a similar experience ? The Fibreglass underneath
it is in good condition. Is this the remains of a still valid process
or is there a new material that is now used, like fibrefrax for example?

Richard Thomson
Tri Q G-BMFN
richard@...

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Sounds like the liquid firewall that was shipped with the original kit. It seemed to work well on the firewall but I would think it would flake off the flexible cowling. I tried it on the exhaust pipes with dismal success. It is still covering my firewall.
Mike Q200