2007 AirVenture Cup race results

Sam Hoskins

When I get back, I'll be getting my version of the story to the newsletter
editor.

Sam Hoskins
Race 22
http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

Gordon Givens

Very impressive result Sam; congratulations!

Will look forward to reading about "your version" in a forthcoming copy of
the newsletter.

Gord Givens

Q 200 Builder

Ottawa Canada

_____

When I get back, I'll be getting my version of the story to the newsletter
editor.

Sam Hoskins
Race 22
http://www.airventu
<http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf>
re.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

Sam,

Good job! You improved your average speed up to 205 mph. It appears your engine still has some poop. Now, if we can find some sauce.... Looking forward to your account.

Joseph

Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
When I get back, I'll be getting my version of the story to the newsletter
editor.

Sam Hoskins
Race 22
http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

Jim Patillo

Sam,

You're probably still in Oshkosh havin'fun. If "22" goes any faster
you'll probably rip her wings off. I bet we'll see you give it a try
in the next couple of years! There are still a few tricks you can
pull out of that old hat. Congratulations again for your win and a
very respectable and fast average speed over a long course.

Safe flying,

Jim Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...> wrote:

Sam,

Good job! You improved your average speed up to 205 mph. It
appears your engine still has some poop. Now, if we can find some
sauce.... Looking forward to your account.

Joseph

Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
When I get back, I'll be getting my version of the story
to the newsletter
editor.

Sam Hoskins
Race 22
http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

At 07:30 AM 7/24/2007 -0500, you wrote:

When I get back, I'll be getting my version of the story to the newsletter
editor.

Sam Hoskins
Race 22
<http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf>http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

Larry Hamm <Patlar@...>

I'm curious how three aircraft can finish a 422 mile race with a difference in elapsed times of only 21 seconds?

Larry Hamm

Jim Patillo wrote:

[...]

jon@...

Hi Mike,

I would be absolutely shocked if a Q2 with a stock Revmaster 2100DQ could beat that speed (or even come within 10mph of that).  However; if it is done, I would LOVE to see a VERY detailed article on that airplane (hint - hint Doug!!).

Since this is sorta AirVenture related, did anyone check on the price of that new adjustable Paul Lipps prop?

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

Jon,

John I looked at it but to heavy for a Q200. 22 lbs I think is what
he said.

Jim P

[...]

Hmm, that is heavy.  However; I have implemented a very slick approach to this problem that has worked perfectly for me.  Each time I add weight to my plane, I simply increase my body mass by the same amount and everything balances.... wait... Oh Nuts!!  I've been doing this backwards haven't I?!?!?!?!  I should be REDUCING my body mass.  Crap! Now I have a ton of work to do....  :-)

I'm still curious about price if anyone has that info.  I did a little checking into a fixed pitch Ellipse prop several months back and found that is was waaayyyyy beyond me. I expect the same from this one but just maybe the more advanced, more complicated, in-flight adjustable prop is less expensive that the plain-jane fixed-pitch version...

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new
class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year
only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters
out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Hi Jon:

The QAC factory plane would allegedly do 180 mph at sea level -- Take that
with a large grain of salt. However, I suspect anyone who really cleaned
up the airflow under the cowl could see a real drag reduction, possibly a
10 mph increase. You should see under the cowl of Paul Lipps' Lancair.

Besides, wasn't there a Turbo Revmaster?

Price of the Paul Lipps prop according to Contact Magazine:
Constant speed: 3 blade: $7995 Weight: 33#
Ground Adjust: 3 blade $4995 2 blade: $4495

Personally, I would be more interested in a fixed pitch wood prop (= light)
of Paul's design.

Mike Perry

<http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html>http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

jon@...

Ya, I've seen that same "literature"! :-)

Sadly, the majority (all?) stock Q2's are 140-150mph airplanes, maybe slightly more for the clean ones.  Take a peak at the past performance evaluations for some real numbers.

What issue of Contact! did you find those prices??

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

Rene Robertson <q2robertson@...>

I agree Jon,

I cruise at an easy 150 mph and can manage 165 mph, but would be very hard pressed to do 176 mph over a 200 mile course. This is with my basically stock Q2 and slightly modified Revmaster 2165cc (my own cam and 94mm pistons).

I no longer have a cowl flap, just an extractor scoop, but when I had a cowl flap I never saw more than a couple of mph's increase with it closed. Mike, doesn't Paul Lipps have updraft cooling? Do you have any pictures you can post of his cowl intakes and exits?

Rene
Q2 C-FBWV

jon@... wrote:

Ya, I've seen that same "literature"! :-)

Sadly, the majority (all?) stock Q2's are 140-150mph airplanes, maybe slightly more for the clean ones. Take a peak at the past performance evaluations for some real numbers.

What issue of Contact! did you find those prices??

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

---------------------------------

raoborg@...

Hi Jim. do you by any chance know what's happened to Square one company. They were at Chino.Tks Raoul

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new
class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year
only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters
out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Jim Patillo

Sorry I do not.

Jim

--- In Q-LIST@..., jon@ wrote:

Hi Mike,

I would be absolutely shocked if a Q2 with a stock Revmaster
2100DQ
could beat that speed (or even come within 10mph of that).Â
However;
if it is done, I would LOVE to see a VERY detailed article on that
airplane (hint - hint Doug!!).

Since this is sorta AirVenture related, did anyone check on the
price of that new adjustable Paul Lipps prop?

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new
class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year
only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-
Revmasters
out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Doug Tenney

Rene,

my TriQ200 (C-85 powered) has updraft cooling on it and I was told that it is a very effective method of cooling, but the biggest problem with it was doing the general maintenance, because the baffling was right in the way when checking the engine systems.

I have pictures at "http://www.cactusgrass.com/N56DW"

if you look a the second picture, the front view it has a 'smiley' air intake (ignore the oval intake on the right-middle area, that was an experiment and mostly taped off anyway)
the second picture if you look through the canopy at the air exhaust, it has to outlets and the air flows right over the canopy (great if ever stuck in icing conditions)

there are many more pictures on my site, if you have any questions, ask away and I can ask them of Jim Doyle, the original builder

DUG
(Doug Tenney)
Boise, ID
N56DW - C-85 currently being rebuilt with an 0-200 crank and C-85 pistons
http://www.cactusgrass.com/N56DW
http://www.cactusgrass.com/N56DWRoadTrip

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:
http://www.airventu re.org/2007/ 3tue24/av_ cup.html
Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).
Mike Perry

Quickie Builders Association WEB site

http://www.quickieb uilders.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

------------ --------- --------- ---

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;
}
#ygrp-text p{
margin:0 0 1em 0;}
#ygrp-tpmsgs{
font-family:Arial;
clear:both;}
#ygrp-vitnav{
#ygrp-vitnav a{
padding:0 1px;}
#ygrp-actbar{
#ygrp-actbar .left{
float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
.bld{font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-grft{
#ygrp-ft{
padding:5px 0;
}
#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
padding-bottom:10px;}

#ygrp-vital{
#ygrp-vital #vithd{
#ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
}
#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
#ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a {
text-decoration:none;}

#ygrp-vital a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}

#ygrp-sponsor #hd{
color:#999;font-size:77%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #nc {
#ygrp-sponsor .ad{
padding:8px 0;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
text-decoration:none;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
margin:0;}
o {font-size:0;}
.MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}
#ygrp-text tt{
font-size:120%;}
blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
.replbq {margin:4;}
-->

Tri-Q1 <rryan@...>

Renee,

What diameter and pitch prop do you have? What rpm for 165 mph?

Ryan
--- In Q-LIST@..., Rene Robertson <q2robertson@...>

jon@... wrote:

[...]

Jon Finley asked about Ellipse Vari-Prop. The prices are in Contact
Magazine issue 89 (newest issue).

Gene Knapp made the comment that the Paul Lipps prop would be less
efficient at low speed and off the runway slower. That is exactly what
Paul said at one of the seminars I attended, I think in 2005. He said the
prop was stalled at low speed so initial runway acceleration was less, but
efficiency in cruise was better. He presented some research from WWII that
seemed to back this up.

Gene also said we should all pay attention to Paul's cooling drag reduction
and exhaust augmentation. That is what I was referring to when I said
"anyone who really cleaned up the airflow under the cowl could see a real
drag reduction." I don't feel qualified to advise on details of engine
cooling -- you should catch up with Paul Lipps when he is giving a talk --
but a brief version of his engine cooling talk would be:
-- pass as few air molecules thru the cowl as possible, and control the
flow of every molecule
-- make the airflow inside the cowling as aerodynamic as the flow outside
-- force every molecule into as tight of contact with the engine/oil cooler
as possible
-- use exhaust augmentation to accelerate the exiting air-flow.

Like many other things, the devil is in the details.

Mike Perry

Rene Robertson <q2robertson@...>

Hey Ryan,

I turn ;
3400 rpm @ 180 mph
3200 rpm @ 165 mph
3000 rpm @ 150 mph

This is with a Cloud Cars prop that I'm very happy with. Smoothest prop I've ever flown behind plus gives great performance.

The prop is 48" pitch and 54" diameter. Having said that, I believe the pitch is closer to 50" or 52" because the prop is four 3/4" laminations thick and has been tried on a stock Revmaster 2100 where it was too much prop for the engine.

Rene
Q2 C-FBWV

jon@... wrote:

Ya, I've seen that same "literature"! :-)

Sadly, the majority (all?) stock Q2's are 140-150mph airplanes,
maybe slightly more for the clean ones. Take a peak at the past
performance evaluations for some real numbers.

What issue of Contact! did you find those prices??

Jon

Anyone thought about flying a Q2 in this event next year? The new
class
"Sprint-Sportsman" is for VW/Corvair powered aircraft. This year
only one
entrant, a Sonarai, flew ~176 mph. Bet there are some Q2-
Revmasters out
there could beat that. Link:

http://www.airventure.org/2007/3tue24/av_cup.html

Sam might even give you tips (bet he's faster than you!).

Mike Perry

---------------------------------
Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk
email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Rene Robertson <q2robertson@...>

Hi Doug,

Great website and what a beautifull job you've done with your airplane.
Has the updraft cooling helped your performance? How are your CHT's?

Thanks for the info.
Rene
Q2 C-FBWV