Emporia

JMasal@...

To piggyback off of Jerry Marstall's fluent note: As darkness clanged down
hard over Dallas, I was in Tulsa watching a grey wall of dark cloud discharge
meandering toward the airport. As I have told about how I like to fly at
550mph on a gratis stand-by ticket, here is what it costs me. From EMP I drove to
KCI and got there about 2pm. I missed 2 packed flights and was told the next
3 to Dallas were sold out too. So just to get out of a sardine-crowded KC
airport I hopped a flight to Tulsa, just missing a flight to Dallas by 4 minutes
then waited another hour and a half for the next one. I got home by 10pm.
Hell, the Johnson's in their ol' 172 has probably gotten back to Utah by then!
Modern air travel should make you want to FINISH THAT PROJECT.

I concur with Jerry that these fly-ins are more than just air-educational
opportunities and a chance for a ride. Even more than that, they are annual
reunions with genuinely fine and positively- spirited fellow human beings. Its
better than a state fair or a wasted weekend in front of the boob toob. I hope
Spud, the grand master of this one, and Jeff and our friend in AZ can bask
from time to time in the satisfaction that their work has created enormous joy,
accomplishment and friendships that they will probably hear very little
about. Not as grand as being responsible for starting a war somewhere in the
world, but a proper human accomplishment.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

As darkness crept into the mountains, Nancy and I slithered into Asheville around 8:00pm after a day of chasing Earnest and Donna through the sky. The Sundowner did its noble job well.

As usual, it was just fantastic seeing all of you good people and continuing on with a tradition that is so valuable to all of us. This event is what puts the fire back into the builders. It magnifies the joy of flying one of these birds. This tradition must continue because I can't imagine even one of us working our tail off for years so he can fly to the FOD only to find out that one isn't going to be held that year. BUMMERRRRRRRRRR!!! Traditions much endure.

Spud now, and others in the past, have perpetuated this tradition and we want to add our THANKS!!!
Glad to hear everyone got home safely and can't wait to see all you nuts again next year.
Jerry & Nancy

Jim Patillo

Jim,

When you fly for "cheaper" the drill is always the same. Hurry up and
wait. I've flown all over this country on my United passes for years
and its only getting worse. Having said that, like you, I still
like "cheaper" when possible.

Looks like every one had a great time. Sorry I couldn't have made it
but its down to Vegas this weekend in the Q to see a highschool
friend I haven't seen in many moons.

Regards,
Jim Patillo Q200 N46JP

http://www.aol.com