Q-list Code of Practice suggestion

John ten

Gentlemen,

after the last disruption and having time to think about the
implications (on the beach, I must confess) I turned my attention to
how we might learn from what has gone before and make the future list
better.

There has been, as you might expect, considerable off line discussion
and it has some very useful content. Off line is off line and that is
the way it will stay, but let me float a few ideas across the group
with the aim of canvasing support and putting in place a few guidelines.

1. Disagreement is fine, personal attack is not

2. Stick to the topic

3. Name calling is out

4. Relevance is in, irrelevance is out (who decides?) moderator OTY

5. Civility is in, rudeness is out (who decides?) moderator OTY

6. Common sense check - before you post, ask this question : what does
this post add to the collective good?

7. Defence is fine, Feuding is out (who decides?) moderator OTY

8. I limit : count the the number of times I, me, my is used in the
post - (more than three and you would be better to retire to the bike
shed for personal relief)

9. 1 month ban option read only (who decides?) moderator OTY

10. Short and pithy is better than long and windy (stature included;-))

Sorry, I have run out of fingers... (but there is always one left for
emergency use)

Thoughts?

John

LJFrench <LJFrench@...>

John,
I admire your approach to this situation. Pot shots were taken at you, you took some time to cool off, thought about how to turn a bad situation into something better, and posted the results. Much more mature approach than some.

Lynn French

BTW - good list. I know some of the other lists routinely post their Code of Ethics as reminders to listers.

[...]

JMasal@...

Yeah, I have a thought. What bugs me in America these days is that a mouthy
minority can cause changes in government. It used to be that the majority
looked an idea over and voted a change. Now changes are foisted on all of us
because of clever mouthy minorities. Excuse me while I go out and hug a tree.

j.

Michael Quinn

This puts a lot of pressure on the OTY - but I hope will help change this back to a great site! I think 99% of the ownership is on the individual - it is a shame that we have to have a baby sitter (OTY moderator) - but some of us probably just _think_ we are helping and need to learn to do it more effectively (as you mentioned below! ideas are great - proof is better! my Dad told me that there are 1000 ways to solve a problem and get good results - just because it is not your way - do not take offense!)

I wish there were some way that we could put anonymous "flags" on some postings to help the OTY moterator notice these offensive postings easier. If the posting got more than 3-4 "flags" it would/could be obvious too.

Hope you had fun at the beach! We all need times to unwind!

M.

To: Q-LIST@...: johntenhave@...: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:58:52 +0000Subject: [Q-LIST] Q-list Code of Practice suggestion

[...]

Larry Severson

after the last disruption and having time to think about the
implications (on the beach, I must confess) I turned my attention to
how we might learn from what has gone before and make the future list
better.
Sounds like you have looked at the rules for the KR2 list. Much better.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

raoborg@...

John. I did suggest at the beginning of this reaction that would have been much better "to put this dog to sleep". Thank you Raoul

[...]

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

GeneKnapp2@...

So Jim

Excuse me while I go out and hug a tree.

Does that make you part of the silent majority or one of the mouthy minority?

... im still confused

g.

Yeah, I have a thought. What bugs me in America these days is that a mouthy
minority can cause changes in government. It used to be that the majority
looked an idea over and voted a change. Now changes are foisted on all of us
because of clever mouthy minorities. Excuse me while I go out and hug a tree.

j.

JMasal@...

I can't be mouthy while I'm hugging a tree, gene. I'll just hold tight until
the powerful people step in and change my world so I won't have to be
offended and quit the list in tears.

j.

John ten

Thanks Larry,

Actually, no. I simply looked at what was wrong (in my view) and
suggested fixes from first principles.

As an aside, no attempt has been made to fix that which is not broken.

John

-- In Q-LIST@..., larry severson <larry2@...> wrote:

after the last disruption and having time to think about the
implications (on the beach, I must confess) I turned my attention to
how we might learn from what has gone before and make the future list
better.
Sounds like you have looked at the rules for the KR2 list. Much better.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...

John ten

Thank you Michael,

a minor point of clarification OTY = Over To You. The moderator here
has done a fine job (in my opinion). I completely agree with self
regulation and that works when everyone plays by the rules.

The suggestions offered are to deal with what happens when "Raoul's
rabid dog gets loose in the asylum". When "down pooch" no longer
works, every foreign car is barked at whilst chased down the road, and
Jim M's tree is no longer the designated potty area, then what?

The flag idea is a good one - it could be as simple as adding the word
flag in the subject line of your response.

John

--- In Q-LIST@..., Michael Quinn <mquinn6@...> wrote:

This puts a lot of pressure on the OTY - but I hope will help change
this back to a great site! I think 99% of the ownership is on the
individual - it is a shame that we have to have a baby sitter (OTY
moderator) - but some of us probably just _think_ we are helping and
need to learn to do it more effectively (as you mentioned below!
ideas are great - proof is better! my Dad told me that there are 1000
ways to solve a problem and get good results - just because it is not
your way - do not take offense!)

I wish there were some way that we could put anonymous "flags" on
some postings to help the OTY moterator notice these offensive
postings easier. If the posting got more than 3-4 "flags" it
would/could be obvious too.

Hope you had fun at the beach! We all need times to unwind!

M.

To: Q-LIST@...: johntenhave@...: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:58:52
+0000Subject: [Q-LIST] Q-list Code of Practice suggestion

[...]

Allan Farr

Am I the only one who thinks people are being a bit too sensitive? Personally I enjoy reading the more controversial posts, but we all have the option to press the delete button if our sensibilities are being offended.
AF

a minor point of clarification OTY = Over To You. The moderator here
has done a fine job (in my opinion). I completely agree with self
regulation and that works when everyone plays by the rules.

The suggestions offered are to deal with what happens when "Raoul's
rabid dog gets loose in the asylum". When "down pooch" no longer
works, every foreign car is barked at whilst chased down the road, and
Jim M's tree is no longer the designated potty area, then what?

The flag idea is a good one - it could be as simple as adding the word
flag in the subject line of your response.

John

--- In Q-LIST@..., Michael Quinn <mquinn6@...> wrote:

> This puts a lot of pressure on the OTY - but I hope will help change
this back to a great site! I think 99% of the ownership is on the
individual - it is a shame that we have to have a baby sitter (OTY
moderator) - but some of us probably just _think_ we are helping and
need to learn to do it more effectively (as you mentioned below!
ideas are great - proof is better! my Dad told me that there are 1000
ways to solve a problem and get good results - just because it is not
your way - do not take offense!)

> I wish there were some way that we could put anonymous "flags" on
some postings to help the OTY moterator notice these offensive
postings easier. If the posting got more than 3-4 "flags" it
would/could be obvious too.

> Hope you had fun at the beach! We all need times to unwind!
>
> M.
>

> To: Q-LIST@...: johntenhave@...: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:58:52
+0000Subject: [Q-LIST] Q-list Code of Practice suggestion

> Gentlemen,after the last disruption and having time to think about
theimplications (on the beach, I must confess) I turned my attention
tohow we might learn from what has gone before and make the future
listbetter.There has been, as you might expect, considerable off line
discussionand it has some very useful content. Off line is off line
and that isthe way it will stay, but let me float a few ideas across
the groupwith the aim of canvasing support and putting in place a few
guidelines.1. Disagreement is fine, personal attack is not2. Stick to
the topic3. Name calling is out4. Relevance is in, irrelevance is out
(who decides?) moderator OTY 5. Civility is in, rudeness is out (who
decides?) moderator OTY6. Common sense check - before you post, ask
this question : what doesthis post add to the collective good?7.
Defence is fine, Feuding is out (who decides?) moderator OTY 8. I
limit : count the the number of times I, me, my is used in thepost -
(more than three and you would be better to retire to the bikeshed for
personal relief)9. 1 month ban option read only (who decides?)
moderator OTY 10. Short and pithy is better than long and windy
(stature included;-))Sorry, I have run out of fingers... (but there is
always one left foremergency use)Thoughts?John

claire

-Probably do not need a moderiator as long as we have a delete key.
But, you guy's are sure putting a lot of wear on my delete key!

-- In Q-LIST@..., "JohntenHave" <johntenhave@...> wrote:

Thank you Michael,