Quiet Technologies Halo Headset

jon@...

Hi All,

I decided to splurge on myself for Halloween so ordered one of the Quiet Technologies Halo headsets. [http://www.quiettechnologies.com/] http://www.quiettechnologies.com/

Recieved them yesterday afternoon so just had to go fly this morning. WOW!! I am impressed. Compared to my ten year old, cheapest that I could find at Oshkosh headset, the Halo is magnificent - actually, there isn't even a comparison. The coolest part was the complete lack of any weight or clamp on my head. I highly recommend it.

What did I do on the flight??? The usual... XM music on, climb to 7000', some chandelles, some lazy eights, some high-G turns (1.104 G's), watched the funny little cars heading up the highway to the big city, performed a wake up call at 165mph down the runway for the airpark, and parked her for the day. What a nice way to wake up!!

Jon

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Jon, Whats this "audiologist fee" they talk about? Did you get them custom fit? I'd be curious how they compare to an active noise canceling headset! A friend at work built a set like this, I gota check how his turned out...
Thanks for the report.
Mike Q200

jon@... wrote:

[...]

Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...>

Jon & Mike,
I bought a set of the Mach 1's offered by Lightspeed. The "osh
special" was to have the audiologist fit the custom molds for nearly
free.
I very much liked the set. However, I could not hear very well with
them. I think it was too much noise in the cockpit. I tried them in
my plane and Paul Fishers. Also the custom molds hurt like hell.
Having said all that. Lightspeed was stellar in their customer
service. They sent me a set of Twenty 3G's for the return of the Mach
1. I really did want to make then work, but no dice for me. With the
ANR I can hear clearly. Also they are very comfortable. No fatigue
after a three hour flight. I have never had "no pain" after that long
with other sets.
Kevin Boddicker
Tri Q 200 N7868B 78.6 hours
Luana, IA.

jon@... wrote:

[...]

Jon Finley <jon@...>

Hi guys,

Yea, that fee is for creating the custom ear pieces. My understanding is
that you only need the custom molded ear pieces if the headset does not have
a headband and is necessary to help hold the microphone in the proper
position. With the Halo that I have, it has a very small headband which
holds the microphone in place and one just uses the in-ear foam plug thing.

One thing that is different about these headsets is that you can hear your
own as when plugging your ears with your fingers and then speaking aloud. I
know your voice gives me a headache Kevin so maybe hearing your own voice
better was causing your pain?!?!? :-)

Jon

jon@... wrote:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:52 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:52 AM

Richard Hole <rickhole@...>

I used the Lighspeed Mach I with custom earpieces. While they work
well for me (thought I have not worn them for more than four hours
straight), they are NOT for everyone. The custom earpieces take
practice to insert correctly, and if the mold is correct and inserted
correctly you will hardly notice them. But either in error and wearing
them will be torture. With a good fit, the custom molds block noise
effectively, no need for active noise suppression. The microphone is
held in place by the earpiece, and works well also with standard foam
ear inserts, but the noise level is much higher.
WHen I firest began flying, we used a hand-held carbon mic and turned
the speaker volume up really loud. Nowadays we have so many good
choices, and the best one is a matter of personal exploration. Have
fun!
Rick