UP, UP and Away

One Sky Dog

Jerry,

Congratulations, I am still doing the R&E. I hope it does not take me that
long, so far 1 year 6 months.

Best wishes to you and Nancy,

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 11/28/2007 5:31:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jnmarstall@bellsouth.net writes:

AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and easy.
After only 3 yrs and 8 months of recreation and education, my plastic
fantastic roared skyward.

products.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and easy. After only 3 yrs and 8 months of recreation and education, my plastic fantastic roared skyward. It was a perfect day, 35F, zero wind and sunny. Nancy and Earnest Martin were there to witness the second launch. The first being 10 years ago. They were there then too.

Thanks to Earnest Martin and Bruce Crain giving me refamiliarization (is that a word?) rides, it all felt pretty natural. Guess it is like riding a bicycle. The plane performed beautifully, nothing redlined and that new Malechek special simply purred. Only loaded enough fuel for a 35 minute flight. Had planned on an hour but this thing burns a lot more fuel than the old Revmaster.

Had a couple of valve cover leaks and crossed wires on my CHT/EGT indicator plus the tube from the plenum to the oil cooler came disconnected. Other than that, just pure fun.

Had my new Dynon100 on too. that is a gem. Can't wait to get the AOA calibrated.

I owe a lot to a whole list of you folks for helping and encouraging me throughout this ordeal. I don't have the time or space to list all the things that Earnest did for me. I would still be a few years from flying if it wasn't for his help and knowledge. And of course, none of us would be flying our planes without the support of our spouses. Nancy ranks at the top.

As I start doing the real flight envelope evaluations, I'll update all. Have to hold tradition with Kevin.

PS: Alan Thayer, I'm halfway to Emporia - are you out there???
Jerry Marstall - thrilled to be flying again!!

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

Way To Go Jerry!!!

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

[...]

Bruce Crain

Way to go Jerry!!!!

Honey Lamb

Please note: message attached

When you don't have health insurance is when you'll need it the most. Click here to get insured.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iiejD7dxrieKhXnEnqlD8D0yeMvaYdP6rzzd4xwhgkHtO49rK/

LJFrench <LJFrench@...>

Jerry,
You were making me nervous. After the carb ordeal I hadn't heard much as was worried things were worse. Way to go!! Hope to see your plastic fantastic this spring sometime. It sounds like you have upgraded a lot of things, but I hope you still have the trademark thermos gas cap.
Congratulations
Lynn

[...]

Sam Kittle

Congratulations Jerry,

I am working toward getting my plane to Emporia also. Maybe Alan and I can
arrive together.

Regards,

Sam

_____

[...]

Sam Hoskins

That's great Jerry. Hey! Since my plane is now all apart, why don't you
and Nancy hop in the TriQ this weekend for a visit to Murphysboro?

Salmon Sandy

--
Sam Hoskins
www.MistakeProofing.Net

Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...>

Great news Jerry.
I had been thinking about you lately, and wondering if you would make
2007 or not.
Congrats a plenty. Did you notice the nose being heavier than with
the revmaster?
Enjoy!!!!!
Kevin Boddicker
Tri Q 200 N7868B 79.4 hours
Luana, IA.

On Nov 28, 2007, at 6:30 PM, Jerry Marstall wrote:

[...]

n17pf <FisherPaul@...>

CONGRATULATIONS JERRY! Three and two thirds years is a long time to
be with out your plane. I'm sure it feels good to get it going
again. I'm glad you finally got your carb issue behind you!

I hope you continue your flight reports. Your impressions of
changing from the Revmaster to the O-200 should make for interesting
reading (performance, maintenance, reliablity, etc.).

As soon as you are comfortable with it, maybe we should all visit
Sammy in Carbondale!

- Paul

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and
easy.
After only 3 yrs and 8 months of recreation and education, my
plastic
fantastic roared skyward.
... snip ...

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Great. Are we still planning on meeting half-way (like Asheville)?

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Great idea but I still have to fly off my 5 hours. After the not so fun
experiences Nancy had in the
Revmaster, it will take a few local flights before I would want to press
her into a x-c. But the time will come and we
will be knocking on your hangar door.

<mailto:jnmarstall%40bellsouth.net>> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kevin,
I was so heads-up and locked that I barely remember the takeoff let
along the nose heavy. Actually the two thoughts I had about the nose
gear was that it was so much more stable on takeoff, less bouncing
around (guess that might have been due to the extra weight of the
O-200), and how smooth the landing roll out was. The entire plane feels
so much more substantial that it did before.

As Earnest always told me, "you haven't flown a Q until you have flown
an O-200 solo. Well, I have arrived.
Will be eagerly awaiting May 3-4 Fly-in.
Jerry

Kevin Boddicker wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the note. Yes, there are several comparisons to be made
between the Rev and the O-200. It feels like a totally different
aircraft, more substantial and obviously more power. I'll try to keep
up with the reports.

Sam already wrote me asking when we were coming to Carbondale. Of
course I still have 5 hours to fly off. It would be great fun for us
both to show up. Let's keep in touch on that one. Do you do much
flying in the winter there?
Really appreciate you keeping in touch with me over this whole ordeal.
The moral support was particularly helpful.
Keep in touch. Wishing you and the family a wonderful holiday season.
Jerry

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>, Jerry
Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and
easy.
After only 3 yrs and 8 months of recreation and education, my
plastic
fantastic roared skyward.
... snip ...

Dr. Charley Rodriguez

Dear Jerry,

Kudos. How big was your smile when the bird lifted off the
surface?????

CeeRod

Dave Dugas

Hi Jerry, Great news. Hope everything works smooth. I'm not sure I would have the patience to start converting mine, let alone finishing it. Congratulations to you and Nancy. Merry Christmas...... Dave D.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@bellsouth.net> wrote: AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and easy.
[...]

---------------------------------

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Hello CeeRod,
Soooooooooo good to hear from you. Yep, I was a grinnin'. with a
density altitude of 54' it really jumped up. I was to the opposite end
of the 8000' runway before I realized it. Quite a bit different than
the old VW engine. I've got a real tiger by the tail now. Will have a
lot of fun test flying it and getting the numbers. Unfortunately its a
bit windy today so will have to wait until tomorrow to play.

Hope you are doing well. It is so very kind of you to take the time to
write. Again I would like to thank you for the time and effort you put
into helping me solve my engine problems. Hopefully before too long I
can do a x-c up to see you and Sam.

How is your Q project coming?
Jerry

Dr. Charley Rodriguez wrote:

Dear Jerry,

Kudos. How big was your smile when the bird lifted off the
surface?????

CeeRod

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

Great work Jerry.

A lot of good flying ahead.

Peter

_____

Kevin Boddicker wrote:

[...]

Doug

I found what looks like a good safety article about recovery from unintended
maneuvers near VNE, now loaded to the files section. It might be suitable to
link to the web resources file.

Just happens I learned a lot from it and we all need to know when testing
the envelope.

Cheers

Peter

_____

[...]

Steve <sham@...>

Just heard the news.....way to go Jerry...been a long couple of years. Good
to see you back in the air.

Steve Ham

_____

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2124158/grpspId=1705065618/msgId
=29910/stime=1196302161/nc1=4767085/nc2=4507179/nc3=4776371>

John Loram <johnl@...>

Hi Peter; Here's a web version of the article... easier to read.

-john-

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@...>