Test Flight report

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Not much of a test flight, just cruised around.
I am standing up to key this in because I just can't come down enough to sit down.
Launched at 11:20. Another perfect day: no wind, clear skies and cool.
As before, it leaped off much quicker than I am use to. Climbed briskly to 7,500' and leveled off. The real mission was just to let it run to continue the break-in. I think I am there. Here are the numbers. Dont' have a spinner on yet nor wheelpants. It appears the Catto Prop is a climb prop by the rpms. It will pop up to 2850 real quick. Haven't run it wide open yet in level flight.

OAT = 39F; 7500'
2600rpm
145 mph - TAS
Manifold pressure = 22
Oil Pressure = 40
Oil temp = 210
CHT = 300/310/370/360 Since this flight I have cut down the baffles in front of cyl's 3 & 4 to try and even out the temps on those two cylinders.
EGT = ? My KSA gage is so difficult to read that I am not real sure what they were. Will fiddle with it some more and report later. All I can tell you now is that cyl's 1&2 were within 25 deg of one another and 3&4 were within 25 deg of one another. The difference between the two groups was 250 deg.
6.6 gph at 2600 rpm.

I can't begin to express the difference in the flying characteristics from before. It now feels like a much larger airplane. To my amazement, it is now a hands-off airplane. At 7,500' in cruise, trimmed, it would oscillate up and down 25' either side of level. With the individual elevator trim capability on the torque tube I could trim it wings level and it would stay there. Now I can actually fold a map without doing aerobatics.

No vibration (and the prop hasn't been dynamically balanced yet), and a lot quieter than the Revmaster. I have 4-into-1 exhaust.

It was a real thrill just drilling around up there with such exhilaration. I would say that I had forgotten how much fun this is to fly but this is a totally different airplane than I was flying before. No comparison. I even refer to the previous version as "the other plane". It was a grueling experience over the last 3 yrs 8 months, but WOW what a reward.

As everyone says, "keep building, its worth it."
Starting next flight I will start working on the envelope.

Only minor squawks: leaking valve covers (using silicon), springs on the stick trim are too strong, GPS not interfacing with the Dynon. All pretty minor in comparison to what I had been fighting.
DAT's it. MAN AM I HAVING FUN (NOW)!!!!!!
Jerry

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Jerry,
Do you have an oil cooler? Those oil temps should drop when it's broke in, at least that's what I've seen. Just for my curiosity, what's your oil pressure while your taxing back to the hangar after the flight? Was your engine 0 timed or rebuilt?
Good Show!
Mike Q200 N3QP

Jerry Marstall wrote:

[...]

LJFrench <LJFrench@...>

Jerry,
Great report. Glad things are looking good.
Just curious about a couple things:
How do you measure fuel flow?
Does your Dynon have the engine monitoring functions i.e. EGT's, CHT's?

LF

LJFrench wrote:

Jerry,
Great report. Glad things are looking good.
Just curious about a couple things:
How do you measure fuel flow? Have a fuel flow instrument from EPI (I
think)
Does your Dynon have the engine monitoring functions i.e. EGT's,
CHT's?No, I have the D100. I do have a KSA for EGT/CHT. CHT is easy
to read, EGT is very confusing.

LF

[...]

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org <http://www.quickiebuilders.org>

Atta' goin' Studdly!!
It is a pleasure flyin' behind an 0200!

2600 rpm would be better for static on the prop. I concur with Mike that the oil temp is a bit high for 39 degrees F. Although not to hot 'til it gets to 240 degrees F. Oil cokes at 250 I believe. Probably will come down with a little more break in. I know you probably already know all of this but as my kids tell me I always say the obvious. Much to their chagrin.

God Bless yo' butt
Give Nancy a squeeze from Joanne and I
Bruski

Tax Preparation Services - Click Here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iigAEZQTlRcWBtqtMHQSY6A4i5LeQUPnWYtQMJnTL3xB03xXq/

kr2flyer1986

Great flight report! Hopefully your oil temp will come down with more breakin time . I had to install a oil cooler to get mine down. I tried the finned cover over the oil filter too without much success. Keep the flight reports coming.
Bob Clark
TRI-Q200 33 hours
Ankeny Iowa

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@bellsouth.net> wrote: Not much of a test flight, just cruised around.