Level attitude

JMasal@...

I appreciate Patillo's comments. I don't know how the 2 placers were set
but the Quickie fuse layout had the firewall vertical. I wasn't sure about
the Q2/200 but it made sense that it was the same. IF the builder put it in
vertical, then 90 degrees to it should be level. It ought to at least be
close.

j.
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)

vt325xi <rlabarre@...>

I'm trying to set the level attitude of the airplane, N32LL and I cannot find the original waterlevel position. Is it safe to say it's one of the armrests or is there another location for the level to be placed? Any pictures or help is appreciated.

Sam Hoskins

Finding the exact original WL will be all but impossible. No, you can't use
the arm rests. To take your best guess, try recreating the original WL
instructions as detailed in the plans. You may have to do some
investigating where the original locations were.

Prudent builders embedded a level somewhere early on the building process.
I still have the bullseye level installed 25+ years ago.

Sorry couldn't help you more. Why do you need to re-establish?

Sam Hoskins

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM, vt325xi <rlabarre@...> wrote:

I'm trying to set the level attitude of the airplane, N32LL and I cannot
find the original waterlevel position. Is it safe to say it's one of the
armrests or is there another location for the level to be placed? Any
pictures or help is appreciated.

One Sky Dog

Trivia

Standard aircraft layout reference equals 3 intersecting planes, firewall
and bulkheads are vertical fuselage stations are parallel to the firewall
plane. Outboard wing butt lines are parallel to the center plane and
perpendicular the firewall station plane, and also perpendicular to the top plane.
The level line is the intersection between the center plane and the top
plane. The top plane is also known as the waterline and is perpendicular to
the center of the earth and can be measured with a level or a basin of water
or a water level in a tube. All wing angles of incidence are set with
respect to the waterline.

The major important angle is the canard to wing incidence with respect to
each other for design flying qualities.

Regards,

One Sky Dog

Working on my Dragonfly, thinking about looking for Tri Q's to run down.

In a message dated 6/1/2009 9:33:29 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
JMasal@... writes:

I appreciate Patillo's comments. I don't know how the 2 placers were set
but the Quickie fuse layout had the firewall vertical. I wasn't sure about
the Q2/200 but it made sense that it was the same. IF the builder put it
in
vertical, then 90 degrees to it should be level. It ought to at least be
close.

j.

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585042x1201462767/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)

Bruce Crain

Hey Sam isn't the firewall level for pitch as well as the longerons for roll?
Bruski

Please note: message attached

From: Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Level attitude
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:45:48 -0500

Hit it out of the park with a new bat. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsL78uIq4aAsq6r1hFCKi22TJ8Dml5X78FCIj8PBrl8WS78DM3LhRG/

Sam Hoskins

I think so, but taking a measurement of of it will be a total guess. Too
many places for error.

Sam

From: Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@... <sam.hoskins%40gmail.com>>
To: Q-LIST@... <Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:45:48 -0500

Hit it out of the park with a new bat. Click now!

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsL78uIq4aAsq6r1hFCKi22TJ8Dml5X78FCIj8PBrl8WS78DM3LhRG/

Jim Patillo

If I remember correctly,the lower fuselage shells were originally set in the fuselage jigs which were bondo'd on a flat table. The shells were then bondo'd to the jigs. The arm rests were set and glassed in level and the firewall was set and glassed in vertical.

The "Bulls Eye" level Sam refered to was bondo'd "0-0" on the main fuel tank or canard for future reference before being removed from the jigs.

The problem is you can't ever count on that work being done as described above because the builder may or may not have followed the plan as evidenced on this site many.............many times.

Try raising the tail until the firewall is vertical and then check the arm rests for level. If you find this to be correct, the canard should be installed at 7.5 - 8.5 degrees when measured at BL 48 while sitting on all three wheels. Hope this helps "vt325xi".

Jim Patillo
Q200

--- In Q-LIST@..., "vt325xi" <rlabarre@...> wrote:

I'm trying to set the level attitude of the airplane, N32LL and I cannot find the original waterlevel position. Is it safe to say it's one of the armrests or is there another location for the level to be placed? Any pictures or help is appreciated.

Kevin Boddicker

Sky Dog,
As to your last line.
Good Luck!!!! : > ))))))

Kevin

JMasal@... writes:

I appreciate Patillo's comments. I don't know how the 2 placers
were set
but the Quickie fuse layout had the firewall vertical. I wasn't
sure about
the Q2/200 but it made sense that it was the same. IF the builder
put it
in
vertical, then 90 degrees to it should be level. It ought to at
least be
close.

j.

**************An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2
Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585042x1201462767/aol?
redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?
sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)

vt325xi <rlabarre@...>

Sam, we have basically removed all the parts from the plane, panel, engine, etc. We noticed that the engine appears to be sagging if you compare the cowl opening and spinner. I will post a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

We are trying to determine if the engine is sagging (new lycoming red bushings) or maybe the cowl was never installed correctly.

Thanks,
Richard

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Finding the exact original WL will be all but impossible. No, you can't use
the arm rests. To take your best guess, try recreating the original WL
instructions as detailed in the plans. You may have to do some
investigating where the original locations were.

Prudent builders embedded a level somewhere early on the building process.
I still have the bullseye level installed 25+ years ago.

Sorry couldn't help you more. Why do you need to re-establish?

Sam Hoskins

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:56 PM, vt325xi <rlabarre@...> wrote:

I'm trying to set the level attitude of the airplane, N32LL and I cannot
find the original waterlevel position. Is it safe to say it's one of the
armrests or is there another location for the level to be placed? Any
pictures or help is appreciated.

vt325xi <rlabarre@...>

Here are the pictures of the plane even before I owned it. You can see the spinner relation to the cowl is slightly low. MY partner seems to think that the engine may be sagging and we want to make sure it is not. So we want to find the waterline on the plane so we can be sure the engine is in the correct plane. This will help in flying at the correct attitude. Does this help explain why I want to find the waterline? Right now, we are using the firewall as the datum and setting everything else perpindicular to that.

Thanks,
Richard

[...]

Masal,

I know you had a Q1 but never knew the details regarding it or ever saw any pictures. How many hours did you fly it? What happened to the plane?

After Tom Jewett died I lost interest in anything Gene Shehan had to say and discontinued my Q subscription.

Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., JMasal@... wrote:

I appreciate Patillo's comments. I don't know how the 2 placers were set
but the Quickie fuse layout had the firewall vertical. I wasn't sure about
the Q2/200 but it made sense that it was the same. IF the builder put it in
vertical, then 90 degrees to it should be level. It ought to at least be
close.

j.
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)

PROPELLERS@...

Patillo,

I just picked up a Q1 with the Onan engine. The plane hasn't flown for
about 10 years so I plan to restore it to flying condition and possibly install
a 1/2 VW 45 hp by Casler that weights about the same as the Onan.

You made this statement in a past post: "After Tom Jewett died I lost
interest in anything Gene Shehan had to say and discontinued my Q subscription."

Would you mind expanding on the statement..I'm not aware how Jewett
died..was it in a Q1 and is there concern about the Q1 that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

_http://www.princeaircraft.com_ (http://www.princeaircraft.com/)

Lonnie Prince
Prince Aircraft Company
6774 Providence St.
P.O. Box 2669
Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
Tel. 419-877-5557
Fax 419-877-5564

In a message dated 6/8/2009 9:19:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
logistics_engineering@... writes:

After Tom Jewett died I lost interest in anything Gene Shehan had to say
and discontinued my Q subscription.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322977x1201367197/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JunestepsfooterNO62)

PROPELLERS@...

Thanks to Jon and the other responses to my questions.

Jon did you install the 1835 VW in the Q1? I was considering the 45 hp
1/2 VW for higher top speeds but if the performance was adequate with the
18-22 hp Onan then perhaps I will just fly the Onan for a while.

Always open for suggestions from those that flew the Q1.

_http://www.princeaircraft.com_ (http://www.princeaircraft.com/)

Lonnie Prince
Prince Aircraft Company
6774 Providence St.
P.O. Box 2669
Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
Tel. 419-877-5557
Fax 419-877-5564

In a message dated 6/9/2009 10:19:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jon@... writes:

Hi Lonnie,

I'll respond cause Jim takes a really long time to type a message using
that one finger, hunt and peck approach.... ;-)

Here is a pretty good link to the info:
[_http://www.check-http://www.chehttp://www.http://www_
(http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm) ]
_http://www.check-http://www.chehttp://www.http://www_ (http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm)

In short, Jewett was killed in the crash of their "around the world
without stopping" aircraft.

I flew a Q1 for about 500 hours and am aware of NO dangerous problems with
it. In fact, it probably saved my bacon more times that I saved it. I flew
with a Rotax 503 and 1835cc VW and MUCH, MUCH preferred the 4-stroke
engine.

Jon Finley
N314JF - Q2 - Subaru EJ-22 DD
[_http://www.finleywehttp://www.finlhttp_
(http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx) ] _http://www.finleywehttp://www.finlhttp_
(http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx)

I just picked up a Q1 with the Onan engine. The plane hasn't flown for
about 10 years so I plan to restore it to flying condition and possibly
install
a 1/2 VW 45 hp by Casler that weights about the same as the Onan.

You made this statement in a past post: "After Tom Jewett died I lost
interest in anything Gene Shehan had to say and discontinued my Q
subscription.i

Would you mind expanding on the statement..I'Would you mind expanding on

__http://www.princeaihttp://www._ (http://www.princeaircraft.com_/)

_logistics_engineerilogistics__ (mailto:logistics_engineering@...)
writes:

After Tom Jewett died I lost interest in anything Gene Shehan had to say
and discontinued my Q subscription.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322977x1201367197/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JunestepsfooterNO62)

PROPELLERS@...

Jon, Thanks for the great info. It sounds like from the initial letter I
responded to is you still liked the Onan better than your 1835 VW.

We built propellers for the Global engine and considered it about 35 hp.
The new engine Scott Casler sells claims 45 hp but we have yet manufactured
a propeller for it so I'm not sure of the claim but for a little bartering
I can have one. My thought is if the Onan or perhaps the Suburu industrial
engine will fly the plane fine why spend all the modification time when the
plane could be flying in a couple weeks.

I would really enjoy flying the Q1 as fast a structurally able. We
manufactured propellers for a company called AED. They used a 38 hp 2 stroke, the
customers could exceed red line in level flight 170+ mph. This would be so
much fun but I prefer 4 stroke engines.

Thanks again for the information.

_http://www.princeaircraft.com_ (http://www.princeaircraft.com/)

Lonnie Prince
Prince Aircraft Company
6774 Providence St.
P.O. Box 2669
Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
Tel. 419-877-5557
Fax 419-877-5564

In a message dated 6/9/2009 11:19:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jon@... writes:

Hi Lonnie,

Yes, 1835cc, four-cylinder VW in a Q1. There have been at least four of us
that have flown with this engine (though different displacements)Yes,
1835cc, four-cylinder VW in a Q1. There have been at least four of us that have
flown with this engine (though different displacements)<WBR>. Two back
east long ago and Tom Solan (up in ID now) more recently (Tom's was a 1600cc
4-cyl). The trick i

Several folks have proven over the years that the Onan works. However;
IMO, you gotta be light and fly at lower altitudes. I'm not known for being a
lightweight and, at the time, was flying out of a 4,000' MSL airport in
Montana.

Several people installed the Global 1/2 VW engine years ago (Jim Masal
being one). I don't want to speak for anyone (especially Jimmy!!!! ;-) ) but I
recall from the newsletters and previous discussions that performance was
not as expected. Seems like they were getting about 200 fpm better climb
than the Onan but about the same speed. Someone correct me if that is wrong.
Based on this, I never felt that the 1/2 VW was a good option.

Jon

[...]

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

Here's an article I found on the web about how Tom Jewett died. Not in a Q1.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

jon@...

[http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm] http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm

[http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx] http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx

[...]

quickheads2 <groups@...>

Tom Jewett died during testing of "Free Enterprise" an airplane that was designed by QAC to fly arround the world unrefueled. After Tom's death Gene Sheehan seemed to lack the bedside manner needed to run a company, especially one that required constant user support.

I spoke with Gene on the phone recently, and he was grumpy as ever and unwilling to talk about QAC or the Quickie designs.

There is a little bit of info posted about this in their 17th newsletter:

http://www.quickheads.com/quickie-newsletter-17-page-1.html

But the crash was unrealated to any of the Quickie designs. Ultimately, Dick Rutan and Jeana Yager completed the first round the world unrefueled flight in Voyager.

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
Q-200 Under Repair
www.quickheads.com

--- In Q-LIST@..., PROPELLERS@... wrote:

[...]

Apparently what they say about great minds thinking alike is true....

Jon

:-)

Here's an article I found on the web about how Tom Jewett died. Not in a Q1.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

Yep! What was life like before Google? Anyone? Bueller?