Q-List Rules?

Mike Perry

Hello All:

I am asking for opinions and ideas about "The Rules" for Q-List. I want to see what rules -- guidelines, really -- we want now, and then try to make those rules clear to everyone (especially new people on the list).

Recently Roger made several posts about his proposed diesel engine for a Quickie. That's a new, untried engine and by the rules we agreed on in 2003, that should be on Q-Performance. It appears Roger didn't understand the rules, and I don't think we have been doing a good job of letting new members know the rules. Members publish interesting ideas on this list and then don't understand why they were sent off to the other list.

Background: November of 2003 Pat Panzera started Q-Performance after a poll in which 88% of the voters asked that Q-List be "a site with the necessary/correct information to finish their Quickies as quickly and accurately as possible." The general idea was to keep Q-List for building and flying standard Quickies, Q2s, Q200s and tested mods. Q-Performance was for untested ideas, design changes and new engines. Some of the information on Q-Performance is very interesting (4 place Quickies? Tri-Foil designs? 40 kg/37 hp Wankles?) but it has little to do with building and flying standard Quickies.

About the moderators: We have discussed this issue several times. Some of us like having two lists, some don't care. We generally agree that we don't have enough time or interest to police this issue. We can do a better job of publishing "The Rules" but we are not going to herd people around from list to list.

-- use a single list. If we do this the subject line must reflect the content of the post; also posters must explain where their ideas come from and what testing has been done.

Possible problems: If we loosen the rules, how does this group keep any focus? Do we have any limits (4 seat tri-foil Quickies?) and where do we send people with those ideas?

I've been reading this list since it's inception and it is usually a pleasure. I'm willing to put some effort into keeping it that way. I would like to see some input on how to make it a better list, especially what guidelines we should all work by.

Hope to hear from you all -- Mike

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

I hope you don't hear from all 833 Q-List members! Anyway I have no issue with any Q related post on the Q-List. I do take issue with the people who write personal emails to back and forth to each other VIA the list. Please remember when posting something that 883 people are reading it... My Delete Key works real good tho.

Weather Report: It has been real windy in Florida, but it broke today and became reasonable. There might have been a few sprinkles to hit Lakeland but not much. Expect it is a real dust bowl over there. The Florida pollen count is off the charts this year. I test flew my Elevator center hinge repair job today and the Q flew nice got some beautiful beach pictures. Winds were 080 at 9 gusting to 12, pretty bumpy aloft but no problem landing. Saturday we head to Sun N Fun, a 15 minute flight that takes 30 min cause they make you slow to 100K for 10 miles of S turns behind miles of Cessnas...

I'll post some Sun N Fun pictures hopefully on Sunday.

Fly Safe,
Mike Q200 N3QP

Mike Perry wrote:

[...]

quickheads2 <groups@...>

Perhaps I am a bit biased. :-) However, I am still a big proponent of moving all of the discussions to the QBA website forums. We could make several lists there, and if someone posts in the wrong area, the moderators could physically move the post to the other section.

It's also nice to be able to upload pictures and files directly to you posts. I know that there is some resistance to starting a new group somewhere else, but I think that way eveyone could go to one place to get whatever info they needed.

http://www.quickheads.com/forum-mainmenu-76.html

I already moved the Q1 group over to the website from Yahoo! I could do the same thing with all the posts from the Q-list and Q-performance.

Just providing yet another option.

Thanks for listening.

Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com
Q-200 Under Reconstruction

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...> wrote:

[...]

-- continue to use the 2003 rules with 2 lists. If we do this "The
Rules" need to be clear and generally available, so the list can be
self-policing.
-- use a single list. If we do this the subject line must reflect the
content of the post; also posters must explain where their ideas come
from and what testing has been done.

Possible problems:
If we loosen the rules, how does this group keep any focus? Do we have
any limits (4 seat tri-foil Quickies?) and where do we send people with
those ideas?

I've been reading this list since it's inception and it is usually a
pleasure. I'm willing to put some effort into keeping it that way. I
would like to see some input on how to make it a better list, especially
what guidelines we should all work by.

Hope to hear from you all -- Mike

Terry Adams

The ThorpList (Thorp T18) recently shut down its email list after moving
everything into a forum. It allows posts to be segregated to specific
subjects: Fuselage, Wing, Interior, Personal, Flying, Engines, etc. I
find that I spend a lot less time reading the posts unless it is in a
forum subject that I wish to check on.

Terry Adams
N41521 DF MkI
KSCK

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike
Perry <dmperry1012@...> wrote:

[...]

Allan Farr

In my opinion the Q-List is getting very quiet and is in danger of dying. One of the main reasons for this is all the rules. Let people (within reason) post what they want - let the list "live" for better or for worst.
Allan

[...]

Brad Walker

Very true..

If a post starts to wander from what is acceptable, a friendly reminder
usually gets people back on track. In this world we live in, it's nice to
not have so many rules sometimes..

-brad w.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Allan Farr <afarr@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

In my opinion the Q-List is getting very quiet and is in danger of dying.
One of the main reasons for this is all the rules. Let people (within
reason) post what they want - let the list "live" for better or for worst.
Allan

Clive Clapham

Hi you guys

Live and let live, brilliant.
In this day and age we are all over-regulated world wide unless we want to live in a dictatorship.... I think not?
There is a wealth of info - chit chat and sometimes a bit of stupidity/naiveté. Anyone lucky enough to have a Q, has a great plane, some people on the list aspire to join our band, we need a little involvement from every one, and a nudge now and then.

Clive.........Goboxy

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Allan Farr <afarr@...> wrote:

In my opinion the Q-List is getting very quiet and is in danger of dying.
One of the main reasons for this is all the rules. Let people (within
reason) post what they want - let the list "live" for better or for worst.
Allan

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

If the Q-list could be venturing in the an area if inactivity or dying as you say I have
something I've been considering for a while but holding off on until about a week ago.

About midnight last Saturday April 10 we had a fire which destroyed my utility building / shop.
We suspect the fire had some. Vicki was awoken at 1230 am to noise, a door closing, shortly
there after our motion detector light went on. She went outside and noticed embers rising from the rear of
the building. Our fire wood stack had been set a fire. By the time I got there it was to far along. Took the
fire dept a half hour to arrive and that was the end of that.

In the building was a pickup, 5th wheel camper, mower, diesel tractor w/ loader, backhoe and several implements (bushhog
box scraper, rear blade etc...) many tools, welder and on and on plus 30 years of memories. The fire
was so hot that nothing survived. I didn't even have a shovel and wheel barrel to fill the hole left when
a fire truck got stuck in the yard. The fire never got to the camper but was so hot we witnessed it
erupt. With the grand kids getting older and considering I haven't flown the Quickie in about 2 years and now
not sure when or if I'll fly it anytime soon I would like to see if anyone might be interested in it.

It is currently out of annual and was not made trailerable (fuselage cut) when I built it.
Many know of the bird it is Onan P220 powered N494K.

If anyone might be interested in it let me know and if the price is in the area I would like
I will consider selling it.

Thanks
Keith Welsh

[...]

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

I am one of those that liked the two list idea, however since I have "retired" as editor, I changed my Yahoo Groups membership to getting all the emails in one composite email once a day. This allows me to scan the topics and skip the ones I don't want to read. This takes a lot less of my time. The down side is if you want to respond to an email, your always a day late. The recent diesel discussion would have prompted me to say move the discussion, but I just managed it from my end instead.

I think it would be nice to move the list to Dan Yager's new site, but old habits die hard.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Rick Hole

I like to think of it more as guidelines than rules. The more I think about
it the less I want to see only one forum. If we put all the discussions
into Q-List there is no place for the farther-out topics to go that will
only annoy the more traditional builder. Well, I could drop the email
delivery and read the posts on the website and only look at threads that are
of interest. Thouble is there I would only end up checking in one a day or
less.

So I suggest keeping the performance list. And not be too hard on people if
they start a topic on the wrong list. A nudge usually works.

Moving to Dan's site? Do we still get email delivery or have to go to the
website?

Rick

Jeff McComb

I think it would be easier to follow the topics (and search archives) on a forum setup, but I also agree with Terry's point that having forums may mean that some stuff won't get noticed as much. I would think a max of 3 sub-forums; Q1, Q-2/Q-200, and Q-Engine? I don't really care whether the Q-200 engine is merged or not, although I think it'd be nice to have the files in the same area.

I personally find that the emails arguing where things do or don't belong more tedious than those which are on any Q topic, the only things I'd prefer not to see are political tangents... but delete works just fine for me regardless. Using email filters to direct all emails with "Q-List" in the subject line into one folder makes it pretty easy to sort out anything you don't want to read since it is all in one folder.

In regards to the comment of the list dying, I don't agree. Only lists/forums where people become rude or unhelpful die, people here in general have always been very helpful and nice. The amount of knowledge on our Qs can't be surpassed elsewhere, so whether it remains in a list format or forum format... I'll be there.

Jeff McComb
Now in Waller TX
Q-200
N3245B

I am one of those that liked the two list idea, however since I have "retired" as editor, I changed my Yahoo Groups membership to getting all the emails in one composite email once a day. This allows me to scan the topics and skip the ones I don't want to read. This takes a lot less of my time. The down side is if you want to respond to an email, your always a day late. The recent diesel discussion would have prompted me to say move the discussion, but I just managed it from my end instead.

I think it would be nice to move the list to Dan Yager's new site, but old habits die hard.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Steve <sham@...>

Keith,
Sorry to here of your mifortune. I will put the word out. Do you still have your C170? Sold mine a couple of years ago.

Steve Ham

In this day and age we are all over-regulated world wide unless we want to live in a dictatorship.... I think not?
There is a wealth of info - chit chat and sometimes a bit of stupidity/naiveté. Anyone lucky enough to have a Q, has a great plane, some people on the list aspire to join our band, we need a little involvement from every one, and a nudge now and then.

Clive.........Goboxy

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, Brad Walker <bwalker@...> wrote:

> Very true..
>
> If a post starts to wander from what is acceptable, a friendly reminder
> usually gets people back on track. In this world we live in, it's nice to
> not have so many rules sometimes..
>
> -brad w.
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Allan Farr <afarr@...> wrote:
>

> > In my opinion the Q-List is getting very quiet and is in danger of dying.
> > One of the main reasons for this is all the rules. Let people (within
> > reason) post what they want - let the list "live" for better or for worst.
> > Allan

Mike Perry

Several People wrote on the theme that we have "too many rules." Perhaps they are right. However, this discussion has been going on among the moderators for several months, and in the process I reviewed much of the old archives. The part relevant to having two lists or one is from the fall of 2003. Q-List wasn't quiet but it was totally chaotic and crazy ("crazy" = dangerous advice). You might want to read the archives from Sept to Nov 2003.

That doesn't mean we need to keep the rule now we made in 2003. My feeling is, we should agree to the rule and be sure everyone understands it OR we should discard it.

We really don't have many rules on this list. The original rules of this group (Q-ListEtiquette.txt in the files section) has only two kinds of rules: 1) This is how Yahoo groups works (post files, not attachments; Where to go to change posting status, etc.)
2) Basic E-mail etiquette (sign your E-mail, subject line, copy only what is relevant, basic courtesy, warn members of long posts, etc.)

Part of the original guidelines included "do not attack or threaten others." That has since been expanded to "no politics or religion unless directly related to aviation." I do have a strong feeling we need to keep this -- too many ugly flights otherwise. I note that some valuable international members were driven away by political fights.

The only other rule is the one I want to discuss here: two lists vs. one.

Mike Perry

Allan Farr wrote:

In my opinion the Q-List is getting very quiet and is in danger of dying.
One of the main reasons for this is all the rules. Let people (within
reason) post what they want - let the list "live" for better or for worst.
Allan

raoborg@...

Why not leave good enough alone? This is my brilliant idea for the day! Raoul

I am one of those that liked the two list idea, however since I have "retired" as editor, I changed my Yahoo Groups membership to getting all the emails in one composite email once a day. This allows me to scan the topics and skip the ones I don't want to read. This takes a lot less of my time. The down side is if you want to respond to an email, your always a day late. The recent diesel discussion would have prompted me to say move the discussion, but I just managed it from my end instead.

I think it would be nice to move the list to Dan Yager's new site, but old habits die hard.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Kevin Boddicker

I agree with Raoul. Keep the performance list. It was started to let the more adventurous among us, have a place to trade ideas and stretch the limits.
I don't go to the site to receive mail. I have it sent to my box. I would not log on to Dan's site to see posts.
I don't think it is broke. Just fly it.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 162 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Apr 17, 2010, at 1:41 PM, <raoborg@netscape.com> <raoborg@netscape.com> wrote:

Why not leave good enough alone? This is my brilliant idea for the day! Raoul

I am one of those that liked the two list idea, however since I have "retired" as editor, I changed my Yahoo Groups membership to getting all the emails in one composite email once a day. This allows me to scan the topics and skip the ones I don't want to read. This takes a lot less of my time. The down side is if you want to respond to an email, your always a day late. The recent diesel discussion would have prompted me to say move the discussion, but I just managed it from my end instead.

I think it would be nice to move the list to Dan Yager's new site, but old habits die hard.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
A Sign Above www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Keith Welsh <kfly@...>

Hi Steve,

I sold the 170 about 2 1/2 years ago largely due to inactivity.
Never considered this might happen to the Quickie seeing how I built it and all.
But neither can I see continuing to pay hangar rent, it is still parked beside the 170,
so I pay half but that adds up. The guy who bought the 170 is a local fellow who flies
the MD11 for FedEx out of Indy.

I'm working on getting a new business up going and that's my only focus, and now
with the fire and all flying is all but done for the foreseeable future.

[...]

I'm getting a lot less comments than I expected, and no clear consensus so far. Maybe this is only a subject that bothers me? Maybe everyone is out flying on the weekend?

Some guys with strong opinions in the past haven't been heard from. Speak up!

Mike

Phil Lankford

As the President said in DOCTOR STRANGELOVE," There will be no fighting in
the War Room." Ooh, Sorry, that was off topic.

Phil Lanfkord

Phil Lankford

1. Discuss and help each other finish and develop thier essentially plans built Quickie aircraft.

2. Don't bicker about the rules. Follow them as best you can so that point #1 above can be achieved.

3. Social network as long as Quickies is at the heart of it and have fun at it while supporting #1 above.

There was an old WWII movie starring Andy Griffith and Don Knots, No Time For Sargents" I think where Andy's character started a bar fight, then left the bar unscathed while everyone else destroyed the place. I think I may have started this bar fight and have done a good job of getting out unscathed (thus far).

First, I would like to apologize for doing so but for the reason that we all like to spend so much of our time discussing anything so long as it doesn't advance the completion of a Quickie aircraft.

I like the Q-List format of getting e-mails about our Q passion. I have a Q2, a Q200 (making payments), and a very interesting Q2XX dirititive project that when finished will have a retractable main gear system and a tail wheel. There are also interests in EFI and E Ignitions and radically enormous air box designs. I have chosen not to discuss the very exotic things on this list because I have chosen to follow the protocol.

The List appears to be divisible into three topic categories: Plans Built Quickie subject matter, social networking amongst ourselves, and bickering (social warfare) about the rules or flaming those with whom we disagree or who are perceived as giving dangerous advise. The List could do with less of the two latter.

Again, I apolgize for my contributions into one of those lessor categories.

I working on a scheme to get myself to the FOD. I wish I could fly there.

Cheers,

Phil Lankford

Mike Perry

Phil:

I don't think you should apologize quite so much. The question of what goes on Q-Performance and what goes on Q-List has been bothering me for at least a year. You highlighted the question and now we are trying to deal with it.

Mike Perry