N240JS Inspection

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Terry Adams

Joseph,
A milestone.
Hope all goes well.
Check and double check, if possible borrow another pair of eyes.
Dot your "t"s and cross your "i"s.
I have had planes inspected by FSDO and it usually seems more time is
spent looking over the paperwork..
Albeit the inspector's signature is on the paperwork, your butt is in
the airplane.

Terry Adams

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

quickheads

Good luck Joseph! Please take good notes for those of us that will follow
you! :-)

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Don't forget to have your compass correction card stuck to the dash. They seem to look for that as we often forget about it.
Mike Q200

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...
FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!
Joseph

Michael Hilderbrand <m_hilderbrand@...>

"Don't forget to have your compass correction card stuck to the dash."

Actually, you do not even need a compass.

 Michael Hilderbrand
Derby, Kansas
Sonex #1017 Flying
Jabiru 3300 w/ Aerocarb
Http://www.kansasflying.com

________________________________

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Rick Hole

I've been through dozens of these inspections with clients at work and I can
tell you the DAR will not sign off without some sort of compass and
correction card. While you might fight the DAR about it, it really is not a
smart move to do so; get them mad and they will get even. So choose your
fights wisely :-)

Rick

_____

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

Mike,
I have a Dynon EFIS-D10 with a remote, electronic compass.  There are calibration procedures, but you need to be at an airport which has a compass rose.  I am not allowed to fly as yet.  The compass declination was set by Longitude/latitude which enables a magnetic variation correction to the compass factory preset.  Is this adequate?

Joseph

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Sam Hoskins

Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just get a compass card and stick it
on your panel. Write some numbers on it.

No worries.

When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my compass card
with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection.

Don't worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the
point.

Sam Hoskins

--- On Wed, 12/1/10, Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@tampabay.rr.com<mdwyer%40tampabay.rr.com>>

From: Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@tampabay.rr.com <mdwyer%40tampabay.rr.com>>
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:20 PM

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Fisher Paul A. <fisherpaula@...>

(sorry Sam - one more data point)
On my last inspection (15 months ago) the FAA inspector (yes, FAA from the local FSDO) insisted that I have a compass. I asked for an explanation because I had a Dynon with the remote compass and he said I needed a direction indicator that worked if I lost electrical power. Again, I asked (politely) for him to please point to the regulations where this is stated. He tried, but could not find any such requirement, but "strongly suggested I have a compass". This conversation happened over the phone before the inspection.

So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a three dollar compass and stuck it to the dash with double sided tape. Problem solved. During the inspection he noticed that I did indeed have a compass and he let it go. I have no idea how accurate the compass is, I have never looked at it, nor do I intend to. That's not the point. The inspector wanted one, so I put it in.

So as Sam said - just buy a cheap compass, put a correction card on it and move on to the important stuff.

Good Luck Joseph, please keep us informed!

- Paul

Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just get a compass card and stick it
on your panel. Write some numbers on it.

No worries.

When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my compass card
with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection.

Don't worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the
point.

Sam Hoskins

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

I had some "bad" luck today....I decided to reschedule the FAA inspection.  I do not want to go into details.  I just could not sign a statement in the Aircrft  log saying it was airworthy.  Hopefully in two weeks....

Joseph

Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just get a compass card and stick it
on your panel. Write some numbers on it.

No worries.

When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my compass card
with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection.

Don't worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the
point.

Sam Hoskins

Rick Hole

As the guys say, you can put on a compass card with bogus numbers, but I am
thinking not to put something in the plane knowing it is wrong. Who knows,
some day you might experience multiple systems failure and that little
compass will be there to save your bacon. Even if you "never" look at it,
there may come a time when you will.

So I suggest you take a few minutes and swing the compass, make the
correction card, and post it.

You can do it without a compass rose. A good Boy Scout compass will get you
close enough. Walk around the site with the Boy Scout compass looking for
any sudden changes and if so, try a different site. Use that to calibrate
your "whiskey" compass and your Dynon. The Dynon is easy enough, I have
done it many times.

What you are doing is calibrating the compass readings for the innacuracies
caused by various bits of ferrous metals in the plane. Just entering the
factors for lat/long is only half the battle!

Rick H

_____

From: Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@tampabay.rr.com <mailto:mdwyer%40tampabay.rr.com> >
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:20 PM

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

Hi Rick,

I installed a compass today.  The local A&P's say the taxiway next to the hangars is N/S.

So, I will acquire some numbers with a compass and the taxiway.

Joseph

From: Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@tampabay.rr.com <mailto:mdwyer%40tampabay.rr.com> >
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:20 PM

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Heads up...

FAA Inspection for N240JS is scheduled for December 12!!

Joseph

Brett Gerber <bgerber@...>

Just another thing with the FAA- Most of the time they are very picky with your “verbage”. Never will an Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft EVER be airworthy. When I was doing my A&P Oral and Practical I had the FAA sit in with my instructor to watch him. On a brake, the FAA (Doug Tape), asked me this questions. I was stumped and so was my instructor. Then Doug asked me what the definition of airworthy is: Must be in a safe condition for operation , and must meet its TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet). Experimental a/c do not have TCDS so never place Airworthy in any airframe log books for homebuilt.

When I had my Q- 2 inspected in May 2010, I almost didn’t get my A/W slip because of the data plate on my dual Mag. Any item w/ a PMA/FAA data plate has to have ALL AD’s researched and complied with. Luckily I had already done this and we used my program on my laptop so the FSDO guy could see that my AD list was current and correct. Also, he was picky on my Airspeed- I used Paint Markers to mark the instruments before test flights were done referencing what Quickie stated. My red mark on the A/S looked more like a range in his eyes so I had to use a razor blade and make the line thinner. Also, if your instruments are marked on the glass, make sure you have slip mark on the glass and instrument to ensure that the glass has not rotated.

My FSDO guy was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was an A&P/ IA before taking the position w/ the Indy FSDO.

Good luck

Brett Gerber

Ft. Wayne, IN

A&P

Canard Builder

Brett Douglas Gerber

D.O. McComb and Sons Funeral Homes

(260) 426- 9494

I had some "bad" luck today....I decided to reschedule the FAA inspection. I do not want to go into details. I just could not sign a statement in the Aircrft log saying it was airworthy. Hopefully in two weeks....

Joseph

Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just get a compass card and stick it
on your panel. Write some numbers on it.

No worries.

When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my compass card
with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection.

Don't worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the
point.

Sam Hoskins

L.J. French <LJFrench@...>

However, the endorsement in my logbook references his issuance of an
"Airworthiness Certificate" :)

LJ French

[...]
D.O. McComb and Sons Funeral Homes (260) 426- 9494 From:
Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joseph M
Snow Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:36 PM To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection I had some "bad" luck
today....I decided to reschedule the FAA inspection. I do not want to go
into details. I just could not sign a statement in the Aircrft log saying
it was airworthy. Hopefully in two weeks.... Joseph --- On Thu, 12/2/10,
Fisher Paul A. <fisherpaula@johndeere.com
<mailto:fisherpaula%40johndeere.com> > wrote: From: Fisher Paul A.
<fisherpaula@johndeere.com <mailto:fisherpaula%40johndeere.com> > Subject:
RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection To: "Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> " <Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> > Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 8:00
AM (sorry Sam - one more data point) On my last inspection (15 months
[...]
Message----- From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf
Of Sam Hoskins Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 06:08 To: Q-LIST Subject:
Re: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just
get a compass card and stick it on your panel. Write some numbers on it. No
worries. When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my
compass card with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection. Don't
worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the point.
Sam Hoskins

Joseph M Snow <1flashq@...>

Brett,

Good point.  However, by signing the Application for Airworthiness Certificate as an owner/builder, am I not declaring the aircraft to be airworthy?  So, I do not need to put such a statement in the A/C log.  Rather, the DAR writes that the A/C is eligible for Experimental Certificte.

Joseph

I had some "bad" luck today....I decided to reschedule the FAA inspection. I do not want to go into details. I just could not sign a statement in the Aircrft log saying it was airworthy. Hopefully in two weeks....

Joseph

Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just get a compass card and stick it
on your panel. Write some numbers on it.

No worries.

When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my compass card
with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection.

Don't worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the
point.

Sam Hoskins

Joseph,

The paper work proceedure and what you need for experimental certification is pretty clear. Like Sam said don't get to carried away with all this. Do what you need to get signed off. If the plane is not ready.........its not ready, if it is.......it is. Only you will know what his hot buttons are once you both meet.

Jim Patillo
N46JP Q200

P.S. If the inspector comes out and something is not to his liking, you fix it, get it signed off and move on to the next item. Pretty straight forward.