Rubber Ring Help

MartinErni@...

In a message dated 12/13/2010 10:33:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jon@finleyweb.net writes:

I'd like to find a 10.125" diameter rubber ring (continuous) that has a U
cross section. Anybody know what to call this or where I might find one?

Sounds like a condom to me.

Jon Finley <jon@...>

Hi all,

I am looking for help to find something. Problem is, I don't even know what to call that something...

I have an aluminum "disk" bolted to the front of my propeller which serves as a spinner "bulkhead". Around this disk I run a length of rubber hose that is split (making it kinda U shaped). The hose only stays put for about 5 hours before it starts coming off. I've tried all sorts of things to secure it as well as "glue" the ends together (to make it continuous) but nothing seems to work.

I'd like to find a 10.125" diameter rubber ring (continuous) that has a U cross section. Anybody know what to call this or where I might find one?

Thanks,

Jon Finley
P.S. I thought about making a glass "adapter" between the disk and spinner like I've seen in Q-Talk (Lynn French, I think??) but the rubber ring works nicely (but doesn't stay put).

Jim Patillo

Jon,

I had Ron Saber make me a tapered aluminum front bulkhead crushplate about the thickness of the original 0200 crush plate (3/8"?). I then wrapped rubber "fusion" tape around the bulkhead to create, in effect, a large o ring that stays attached to the aluminum bulkhead. This works great for keeping the spinner centered.

Jim

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Finley" <jon@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Someone told me about using Clark foam, glassing both sides and cutting
out the center to tightly fit over the prop hub. Through trial and
error, the foam/glass piece is sanded in a taper to fit the nose cone.
Works for me.
Jerry

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jon
Finley" <jon@...> wrote:

[...]

Martin Skiby

This method has worked for me perfectly for seveal planes and hindreds of hours. You can also just silicone it into the spinner if you wish. Not expensive and works great.

Finley" <jon@> wrote:

[...]

Maybe try making a silicone ring using a sheet of plastic so it does not bond to the spinner and just the aluminum ring. I like the foam and glass ring that fits tightly around the crush plate and silicone it into the spinner. I flew my TriQ like that for 300 hrs with no issues at all. Also several Ezes for hundreds of hours also.

Easy and cheap to do.

[...]

One Sky Dog

Jon,

Ditch the rubbers, this is proven close to 1000 hrs., and you can do it in
your hanger.

_http://www.n56ml.com/spinner/?39bca8e0_
(http://www.n56ml.com/spinner/?39bca8e0)

Regards,

Charlie

In a message dated 12/13/2010 8:33:31 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jon@finleyweb.net writes:

[...]

Thanks, still details,details, but closing in,

Charlie

PS Get to work Alan

In a message dated 12/16/2010 4:59:15 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jon@finleyweb.net writes:

Jon
P.S. I saw some photos of your status Charlie - it is looking VERY good!!

Jon Finley <jon@...>

Charlie, Jerry, Jim, & Martin,

I appreciate the input. I am very happy with my spinner, just not the piece
of tubing. Hopefully Bob's stitching solution will take care of it. This
is definitely one of those items WAY down the punch list, feels good to be
getting to such things.