Main wing lay up and lights

Martin Skiby

I have been told about a new lay up schedule for the main wing for the Q-200. The Wadlow schedule? Does anyone have the specifics on this and comments on its benifit. We are going to start the foam cut for the main wing and I wanted to have any input. Also what is the best method for putting a conduit in the wing for lighting on the tips. I intend a LED Nav light only so 2 small wires.

Thanks all.

Leon

The Waddelow wings were intended for the Tri-Q and were optionally of longer span. Basically the difference in the lay-up schedule was to accommodate the longer span and reduced landing gear loads on the canard. There are actually 2 lay up schedules: one for a 200" span and one for the 240" span. The other change is that the UNI caps are cut with a tapered trapezoid shape at the ends rather than the simple 90 deg cut QAC used.

The Waddelow canard also used the LS-1 airfoil. It can NOT be used with the normal canard mounted tip landing gear.

As for the wing wiring tube: How straight can you drill? A long piece of steel auto brake tubing that has had some teeth filed in one end cuts through the foam pretty quickly.
=========
Leon

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Martin" <mskiby@...> wrote:

I have been told about a new lay up schedule for the main wing for the Q-200. The Wadlow schedule? Does anyone have the specifics on this and comments on its benifit. We are going to start the foam cut for the main wing and I wanted to have any input. Also what is the best method for putting a conduit in the wing for lighting on the tips. I intend a LED Nav light only so 2 small wires.

Thanks all.

Paul Buckley

You can go ahead with the foam cutting, there is no difference with that.

The only difference is fairly minor, in that the spar caps are not square ended as per the plans, but tapered at the end to eliminate abrupt stress risers.
I will find the plan for these and send you off line.........bear with me.

Regarding wiring conduits, I glued a small plastic conduit to the center line of the trailing edge shear web of the main wing after glassing and before attaching the slot cores and trailing edge cores.

Regards

Paul Buckley
Cheshire, England

Waddelow TriQ-200
Still building.........

I have been told about a new lay up schedule for the main wing for the Q-200. The Wadlow schedule? Does anyone have the specifics on this and comments on its benifit. We are going to start the foam cut for the main wing and I wanted to have any input. Also what is the best method for putting a conduit in the wing for lighting on the tips. I intend a LED Nav light only so 2 small wires.

Thanks all.

Paul Buckley

Actually Leon, the Waddelow canard was specifically for the Tri gear, but the revised wing lay-up schedule was for the benefit of any Q.

Paul Buckley
Cheshire
England

The Waddelow wings were intended for the Tri-Q and were optionally of longer span. Basically the difference in the lay-up schedule was to accommodate the longer span and reduced landing gear loads on the canard. There are actually 2 lay up schedules: one for a 200" span and one for the 240" span. The other change is that the UNI caps are cut with a tapered trapezoid shape at the ends rather than the simple 90 deg cut QAC used.

The Waddelow canard also used the LS-1 airfoil. It can NOT be used with the normal canard mounted tip landing gear.

As for the wing wiring tube: How straight can you drill? A long piece of steel auto brake tubing that has had some teeth filed in one end cuts through the foam pretty quickly.
=========
Leon

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Martin" <mskiby@...> wrote:

> I have been told about a new lay up schedule for the main wing for the Q-200. The Wadlow schedule? Does anyone have the specifics on this and comments on its benifit. We are going to start the foam cut for the main wing and I wanted to have any input. Also what is the best method for putting a conduit in the wing for lighting on the tips. I intend a LED Nav light only so 2 small wires.
>
> Thanks all.

Martin Skiby

Thanks Paul, I was thinking exactly about doing the same thing with the conduit.

I have the schedule that Sam H. Used to build his new main wing. Sounds like it is the same deal.

Thanks for the help.

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Paul Buckley" <paulbuckley@...> wrote:

[...]

I built the Waddelow Canard and main wing (228" using 248" plans don't know why I just did). The Waddelow canard is only for a TriQ. It will not work for a tail dragger.Bruce
_,_._,___

The Waddelow main wing would make for a much stronger wing. However I don't think that is the weak link as the canard gets all the abuse.Bruce

I have been told about a new lay up schedule for the main wing for the Q-200. The Wadlow schedule? Does anyone have the specifics on this and comments on its benifit. We are going to start the foam cut for the main wing and I wanted to have any input. Also what is the best method for putting a conduit in the wing for lighting on the tips. I intend a LED Nav light only so 2 small wires.

Thanks all.

Refinance Rates at 2.8%
$160,000 Mortgage $434/mo. No Hidden Fees- 3.1% APR! Get a Free Quote
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4d0987b37e6d27ded45st02vuc

Martin Skiby

I have no interest in changing the Canard. I was referring to the main wing only. I got the info for the layup on the main wing.

Thanks all for the help.