Outboard 2 stroke direct injection

Roger Gerrard

I need the help of the group. What are people looking at to power their Q1s?

I am very interested in the Tohatsu outboard, 40 hp, 2 stroke direct injection. The engine would be mounted inverted, pto up, with a 90 degree psru to drive the prop.

This seems to be a reasonably economical way to get a modern engine. None of the smaller engines are the direct injection.

Mike Perry

I would be uncomfortable with a 2 stroke. You might consider the half
VW from Hummel Engines, 28 to 45 hp, ~ 80 to 105 lbs.:
http://www.hummelengines.com/

Mike

On 5/8/2011 6:07 PM, Roger wrote:

I need the help of the group. What are people looking at to power
their Q1s?

I am very interested in the Tohatsu outboard, 40 hp, 2 stroke direct
injection. The engine would be mounted inverted, pto up, with a 90
degree psru to drive the prop.

This seems to be a reasonably economical way to get a modern engine.
None of the smaller engines are the direct injection.

britmcman99

Could it be that an issue with two strokes in aircraft appear to be lubrication starvation? Motorcycle road racing mitigated this issue by use of a compression release system. During deceleration the compression release would be used while maintaining throttle setting since lubrication is delivered with the fuel. Upon decent, or worse, a steep dive I think some folks have encountered oil starvation as a result of chopping the throttle and allowing the prop to windmill resulting in oil starvation and subsequent engine seizure.

Phil Lankford