Epoxy

epadams@...

What type epoxy is everyone using these days is it E-Zpoxy or some other brand. Does anyone have any of the old safe-t-poxy hardener (Part D hardener) that is still good and unopened. I know there is a health risk with it and some say it's not good but there are a lot of aircraft built with this old epoxy. Please reply (epadams@frontier.com).

Richard <mylittlemgb@...>

I find myself using more West Systems Epoxy. The biggest reason why is I can pick it up at any boat shop. This saves me in shipping cost and I hate to wait for things to come in. Most of the time I find out I need more when I need to get something done quick. This saves me in the event of my poor planning. E-Z Poxy and Poly Epoxy also work very well. Just try to stay away from Vinyl Ester the stuff is very bad for your heath unless you take the proper precausions like Tyvex suite and fresh air mask.

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, epadams@... wrote:

What type epoxy is everyone using these days is it E-Zpoxy or some other brand. Does anyone have any of the old safe-t-poxy hardener (Part D hardener) that is still good and unopened. I know there is a health risk with it and some say it's not good but there are a lot of aircraft built with this old epoxy. Please reply (epadams@...).

John Loram <johnl@...>

For structural layups I use E-Zpoxy. It seems to me that I've heard of other
structural epoxies, but the E-Zpoxy is what Rutan recommended after the
original stuff became unavailable.

For filling and sanding I use West System with their Microlight (410)
filler.

-john-

_____

What type epoxy is everyone using these days is it E-Zpoxy or some other
brand. Does anyone have any of the old safe-t-poxy hardener (Part D
hardener) that is still good and unopened. I know there is a health risk
with it and some say it's not good but there are a lot of aircraft built
with this old epoxy. Please reply (epadams@frontier.com
<mailto:epadams%40frontier.com> ).

Rick Hole

West is great for non-structural components. I would not build wings,
control surfaces, etc. with it. EZ Poxy is equal to Safety-poxy, time
tested, and only a health problem if you are a rat in California :-)

Rick Hole
N1711Q Q200 panel in final assembly, looking good

Martin Skiby

I am using EZ Poxy, but you can also use the Aero Poxy as well they are both a high strength structural bond. West should only be used for non structural and fill applications. It does not have a high enough stress rating to be used in a structure layup. This is per the Rutan aircraft factory.