First Flight !!

Sanjay Dhall <sdhall@...>

It finally happened !!!
My Quickie Q-200 took to the air today for the first time. What a thrill!
After months of taxiing and tweaking, and with considerable apprehension in
my ability to deal with the unknowns, and after listening to the advice of
several of you, I finally took my Q-200 on its maiden flight today.
It had been a great day for any flying, with winds below 5 knots all day
with temps in the 70's. I felt bummed all day that I missed the early
morning opportunity to make the first flight, and somewhat dejected at
myself for not being able to face the reality of actually making the first
flight. The thought of handing the job to a test pilot did cross my mind.
But my EAA flight advisor was available this evening. I had proposed that I
fly this evening. He came over to the hangar and spent time with me
generally gaging my state of mind. He gave me many outs. A friend came over
with a video camera.
I had spoken to the tower before the flight and they were ready with
emergency vehicles, and were ready to assist as needed, and were OK with
flying directly over the airport above pattern alt.
KYIP 7:30pm. temp 78. Willow Run is a pretty big airport with long and wide
runways. I decided on RWY 23L 7500 x 150'.
Taxied out, did an engine run up, and mag check. Left mag sputtered. oops.
Do I turn back.
After running that mag a few extra seconds it cleared up, and ran smooth. I
can still turn around and go back. Kept on rolling towards the runway.
Lined up at the very end of 23L. One last check of engine temps, pressures,
gages. All in range.
Decision point. Deep breath. Applied full power. No turning back now!
Concentrated on staying on the centerline and watching for any nose up or
tail up tendency. A quick glance at the airspeed ~80. The nose dropped a
little, so pulled up slightly and it was off the ground and going faster.
The left canard dropped just a little, and easily corrected. Airspeed
quickly crossed 110, so I started climbing out. Quickly climbed to about
2000' AGL airspeed about 140mph as I turned crosswind, then downwind. Engine
showed 2600 rpm. Cut back to 2300 rpm. Still climbing, cut power some more
and leveled. Since Willow Run is underneath the Detroit Class B airspace,
could not climb too much higher.
Performed a simulated landing at 2000' right over RWY 23L. During this
process I noted that the speeds were just not coming down as quickly as
required. Arrived at 2000' alt. approximately at midpoint of the RWY. This
was useful at it told me that for the actual landing I need to make a
shallower approach and reduce speeds further.
Descended into pattern alt, cut power. The Q does not seem to want to lose
speed and alt together quickly. Still going 115 on final turn. But did make
a fairly shallow approach. Crossed the threshold at about 95. Once below 95
I did note a tendency to rock back and forth in the roll axis. Left canard
down, left canard up, left canard down... Maybe it was me over correcting.
Dont know what my speed was now but seemed a whole lot slower than the rest
of the flight. Just kept on approaching the runway. And then it was down, a
slight bounce, but it stuck, and now the familiar part from the last many
months of taxiing. Taxied back. Total flying time ~12minutes. Friend and
onlookers were cheering. BTW, the friendly tower folks who had been watching
and assisting me in my taxiing up and down the runways in the recent past,
must have been relieved. Many surely wondered if this thing was ever going
to fly.
Well, today it did!
I am thankful to so many of you, for your help, advice and support. Today's
flight would have been far more difficult without it.
thanks
Sanjay

quickheads

Congrats Sanjay!!!! You must be grinning from ear to ear! Awesome job!

Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

One Sky Dog

Sanjay,

Congratulations on a spot on first flight, all the taxiing paid off.

Your friend,

One Sky Dog

Charlie Johnson
Ogden, Utah

In a message dated 6/18/2011 1:09:50 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
sdhall@... writes:

Many surely wondered if this thing was ever going
to fly.
Well, today it did!
I am thankful to so many of you, for your help, advice and support. Today's
flight would have been far more difficult without it.
thanks
Sanjay

Paul Buckley

What a great write-up Sanjay.

That is what all maiden flights should be like.

Congratulations, and very well done.

Paul Buckley
Cheshire
England.

[...]

L.J. French <LJFrench@...>

Congratulations Sanjay. Great to hear your success.
You were one of those people always asking questions, seeking advice, and trying to understand every aspect of the aircraft. It paid off.
Great job and we'll see you at the tandem wing fly in this fall.

Regards,
LJ French

Short & simple from my mobile

On Jun 18, 2011, at 2:09 AM, "Sanjay Dhall" <sdhall@...> wrote:

[...]

Jon Swenson

Way to Go Sanjay,

One phase ends and the next adventure begins. I am very pleased for you. Every time a new Q flies the whole community is enriched. Thanks to your perseverance the rest of we builders know there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm going to work on my project now so I can join you in the next year.

Jon Swenson

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Sanjay Dhall" <sdhall@...> wrote:

[...]

Me <jnmarstall@...>

FANTASTIC!!!!

You will live that moment forever.
Jerry

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Great news. Keep doing it safe and you'll soon join the thousand hour club! I wonder how many 1000 hour Q's there are?The Q200 is a great economical airplane.Mike Q200 N3QP
To: Q-LIST@...
From: sdhall@...
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 03:09:09 -0400

It finally happened !!!

My Quickie Q-200 took to the air today for the first time. Sanjay

Sam Hoskins

Well done, Sanjay. You've just joined a very exclusive club.

Sam

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Sanjay Dhall <sdhall@...>wrote:

**

[...]

Kevin Boddicker

Sanjay,
Congratulations! I couldn't be happier for you. Probably to big of a smile to sleep last night.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 206 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Jun 18, 2011, at 2:09 AM, Sanjay Dhall wrote:

It finally happened !!!
My Quickie Q-200 took to the air today for the first time. What a thrill!

schmayhoo

Great news Sanjay;. Congratulations !!! I'm green with envy over here. Jerry Brinkerhuff Q-200 waiting for godot.

[...]

You did it! Congratulations. From your report, it looks like it went off without a hitch. You are in an exclusive club now, welcome!

Jim Patillo

[...]

Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...>

WAY TO GO SANJAY!!!!

Be careful of the 2nd flight. Stay on your toes! You did it!!! Congratulations!!!!

Doug Humble
A Sign Above
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
402-250-9075

Terry Crouch

EXCELLENT NEWS, Made my day.

Terry Crouch

Sam Hoskins

My personal attitude : Always a test pilot, always a student.

Sam

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Doug Humble <hawkidoug@...> wrote:

**

WAY TO GO SANJAY!!!!

Be careful of the 2nd flight. Stay on your toes! You did it!!!
Congratulations!!!!

Doug Humble
A Sign Above
www.asignabove.net

[...]