N1711Q Update

Rick Hole

With the O200 engine out of service for five years or so we expected it
would take a while to develop oil pressure. Fill the sump nearly full,
remove the plugs, fog the cylinders, run the starter. No pressure. Remove
line at oil pressure sensor and pump oil to fill the line, also lines
to/from oil filter. After several tries totaling about two minutes still
nothing more than a flicker of pressure. We shut it down for the day.

Next day we had the advice of an IA who did the same thing we did with
success. Hurray, now we proceed to engine start. Hook up throttle,
mixture, and carb heat and set the limits. Add five gallons 100LL. I noted
that the fuel indicator remained at zero, some issue with the sensor no
doubt. Pump up gas to the header and no sensor indication there either.
Two fuel seeping leaks show there is fuel in the tank. Drain out the sump
at the carburetor and call it a day.

We noted no fuel flow indication as the fuel drained. All three fuel
sensors are powered together so I suspect a fault in power or ground
circuits. But this will not slow the engine start process. As soon as the
leaks are fixed, we start the engine. One leak is in the packing of the
fuel cutoff valve. The other is at the cork seal around the header tank
fuel sensor.

The Pitot tube has been replaced, second static port installed. Pitot and
Static systems are GO in leak testing.

I won't be long now!

Rick Hole
N1711Q

Bruce Crain

Sounds like you've got some momentum going Rick! Where will you be for the long weekend of the 4th?Bruce
57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4e0fcf9ca05c71b5d00st04vuc

Rick Hole

The fuel sensors turned out to be resistor-simulator types and once I
figured that out it was easy to get them to send a signal to the dual-meter
gauge and to the GRT engine monitor.

The two fuel leaks are fixed and when we "could not figure out anything else
to do" we decided to attempt engine start.

The O200 has been stored for five years so you just don't know if it will
give trouble. We had some difficulty getting the oil pump primed the other
day.

So with the support crew in place and Scott Swing at the controls, we made
the attempt. To our delight the engine fired on the first blade but ran
only briefly before stopping of fuel starvation. Check that fuel cut-off
valve. Yep, it is on. Maybe we should try "off". Next start was
successful. And we put that valve actuator on the task list for rework.

The engine parameters looked good. Tach read correctly. Oil pressure OK.
All four cylinders showing performance on CHT and EGT. Fuel flow indication
inop. Mag check showed right mag connection to be hot (added to task list)
and no tach indication when right mag is selected. The engine ran smoothly.

We had several starts this afternoon and are very pleased.

After checking continuity of the mag key-switch, we concluded that the right
mag P-lead must be open. Alas, it was necessary to pull the engine off the
mount to check. And indeed the wire was open. Odd, it tested ok before
assembly. At this point I do not worry about that, just remove the old wire
and pull a new one. I do not want to deal with something intermittent later
on.

We have a nice video of the event to post. I remember the video upload was
in limbo for a while and I do not see it on the website now. When downloads
are possible I will post it. Meanwhile when video rendering completes I
will post it on Vimeo and you can look at it there.

Rick Hole

N1711Q going flying in just a few more days

Bruce Crain

Rick,Starting the engine must have been pretty exciting!! Glad to hear all of the problems are being worked out!Fun to hear of your progress!Bruce Crain

[...]

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4e13b5b1a23ab226401st04vuc

Rick Hole

Here is the video of today's engine test run, with commentary:

<http://vimeo.com/26038774> http://vimeo.com/26038774

Rick Hole

N1711Q Engine running

quickheads

Hey Rick,
Q-tube is working fine again. It's located here:

http://www.quickheads.com/q-tube/frontpage.html

You need to be logged-in to the website in order to upload videos directly to the site. Let me know if you have problems. In the meantime, I'll check out the VIMEO version. Nice work!

Cheers,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

We have a nice video of the event to post. I remember the video
upload was
in limbo for a while and I do not see it on the website now. When
downloads
are possible I will post it. Meanwhile when video rendering
completes I
will post it on Vimeo and you can look at it there.

Rick Hole

N1711Q going flying in just a few more days

Dave Dugas

Rick
Engine sounds good....just be careful pointing your plane into a hangar with people around.  Congratulations.
Dave D

[...]

In the last several days we ran solved issues of no-alternator and
no-fuel-flow-indication. Those were wiring issues but did require pulling
the engine.

Today's engine test let us cross off the task list idle RPM and mixture, an
unimportant engine alert indicator (who cares if EGT is below 1000!, at
least not for now).

The fuel level indicator problem is solved and the plane is ready to begin
its conditional inspection. There's an indentation on the wing to fill,
trivial. Tomorrow: bleed brakes and do a full power run up, and adjust prop
pitch for static RPM limit.

I will be off the project for a week. It should be ready to fly when I come
back to it. It's getting exciting to see the task list shrink towards
absolute zero :-)

Rick Hole

N1711Q Q200 rebuild at 99% complete and 1% to go

Rick Hole

The canard delamination looked worse than it was. One area patched and one
bubble between micro and glass. N1711Q may yet fly this week

Rick Hole (with Scott Swing)

N1711Q Q200