Q2CSA8 Elevator control arms

quickieq2uk

Hi all,

I decided to remove my control surfaces for inspection and painting and discovered that the original builder made a complete mess of drilling the holes in the Q2CSA8 rods. So much so I am going to have to build new ones from scratch. I have looked in the plans and can't find any reference to the material they are made from (it's probably been staring me in the face). Does anybody know what the Q2CSA8 control arms, CS20 and CS16 spacers are made from? I suspect it is probably 4130 but want to confirm it before ordering some new material.
If anybody also knows the dimensions of the tubes that would also be handy. It was late when I left the workshop the other day and had another engagement to attend to, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to measure the tubes before I left. I won't back in the workshop until next week as I am out of town, but would like to order the material in the mean time so if anyone has the i.d. and o.d. of the tubes I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Simon Wilson
Quickie Q2
United Kingdom

Richard <mylittlemgb@...>

Simon, The reason you can't find the info is QAC did not put it in the building plans. You do how ever have two options. Option #1. Dan offers the DWG's you are looking for on the quickheads.com web sight. Option #2. We at F.L.A.Ps do make all the parts in the DWG's Dan offers.

Richard Kaczmarek
Fast Little Airplanes
2232 North State Route 559
Woodstock, OH 43084
937-243-7303
fastlittleairplanes@...

--- In Q-LIST@..., "quickieq2uk" <quickieq2uk@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Hoskins

Richard - links don't seem to carry through on Yahoo. Better to list the
entire URL.

Sam

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Richard <mylittlemgb@...> wrote:

**

[...]

Clive Clapham

Simon

It's 4130, I looked at this a while back, contact me direct and I look out my notes. I seem to remember that in UK you can't easily get the correct slip fit so need correct OD and thicker ID and ream to fit.

Clive..........Gobxoy

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Rayner <chris-rayner@...>

Hi Simon, I have some left-over stuff from when I built my Q, including some
control arms and things. To save me digging out the construction manual, can
you describe which are the actual rods and spacers you need and I'll take a
look to see if I've got them?

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Just to re-assure anyone who is concerned I might have left some important
stuff out of my own aircraft, I did buy a damaged Q and kept a lot of
hardware from it!

Chris

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Hi Chris,

It is the two control tubes with the UJ in the middle that connect the stick to the elevators and run in the channel between the fuel tank and canard. It is also the two spacers and reducers that connect the elevator torque tubes to the control tubes.

"Just to re-assure anyone who is concerned I might have left some important

stuff out of my own aircraft, I did buy a damaged Q and kept a lot of
hardware from it!"
Glad you cleared that up! Although I think you might have had difficulty getting airborne without elevators!!! ;-)

Regards,
Simon Wilson

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

I have a pair of Q2CSA8 arms, but bent and drilled for LS1 canard, so 4 holes in each and a gentle double bend. I also have some Al tube which I think is for the spacers between the elevators and fuselage, but on the LS1. They are:

2 pieces 1.2” long, 0.875” OD and 0.640” ID (approx).

1 piece 6” long, 0.925” OD and 0.625” ID.

1 piece 1.4” long, 0.925” OD, 0.625” ID (same stuff as the 6” piece).

Let me know if any of that is useful.

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Chris,

Thanks for looking. Could you take a photo of the control arms and send to me off list please so I can take a look? Sounds like they are different with bends in them. I should be able to get that material fairly easily. Although I am interested in the AL tube for the spacers and reducers if it is going spare. Certainly sounds like the right stuff, although I will need to measure it when I get home at the weekend.

Many thanks,

Simon

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Hi Clive,

I would certainly be interested in any notes you have although by the sounds of what Chris says it sounds like the control arms between the GU and LS1 might be slightly different. I'm not sure as I have never looked at the elevator control arms on a LS1 in detail.

How's your machine coming along? Is 2012 going to be the year for Quickies here in the UK?

Regards,

Simon
On 15 Sep 2011, at 08:11, "Clive" <gobxoy@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Evans

I have a Tri-Q200 with a CF LS1 canard. My torque tube is a straight "L" shape (no universal). I measured the OD of the tube to be 0.62" and the ID id 0.496". The flat piece that rised vertically to be connected with a rod from the stick is 3/4" wide by 0.12 thick and is about 7.25 inches long. Be sure to use some "grease" to eliminate the torque tube from welding itself inside the elevator. I used Permatex Anti-seize lubricant (ugly stuff).

Mike building Tri-Q200 in LA

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Chris Rayner" <chris-rayner@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the measurements. Very useful.

Regards,

Simon
On 15 Sep 2011, at 18:14, "rranch524" <rranch524@...> wrote:

[...]

Simon, I will be be sending you pricing on the parts you are looking for plus some photos of how to remove the universal and match what the newer built kits have done.

Richard Kaczmarek
Fast Little Airplanes