Revmaster to o-200 conversion

John Hartley

I saw there was a post in 2002 where a guy was "thinking" about converting a revmaster equipped Tri-Q2 to an o-200 so I hope I'm not beating a dead horse. That being said, I have a Tri-Q2 with a revmaster that has puked (burnt a cylinder) on me 3 times while in flight. The last failure was it for me as I barely made it back to the airport. I purchased an O-200 last week and would like to chat with someone who has converted from a Tri-Q2 revmaster already. Please email me at john.hartley1@... so we don't clutter up the group with a bunch of minutiae.
Thank you,
John Hartley

Mike Perry

Hello John:

You might consider a Jabiru conversion, Weight and Balance would be much
easier. Paul Spackman converted a Q2 (not a tri-Q) from Revmaster to
Jabiru for increased HP (he lives in Wyoming, Density altitude issues).
Jabiru 3300 is about close to the weight of the Revmaster, O-200 ~ 50
lbs more.

This is an interesting question I would rather see "on the list", you
aren't cluttering up anything (IMO).

Mike Perry

email me at john.hartley1@... <mailto:john.hartley1%40yahoo.com>
so we don't clutter up the group with a bunch of minutiae.
Thank you,
John Hartley

Sam Hoskins

John - you are obviously looking for Jerry Marstall.

SRH

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM, john.hartley1 <john.hartley1@...>wrote:

**

I saw there was a post in 2002 where a guy was "thinking" about converting
a revmaster equipped Tri-Q2 to an o-200 so I hope I'm not beating a dead
horse. That being said, I have a Tri-Q2 with a revmaster that has puked
(burnt a cylinder) on me 3 times while in flight. The last failure was it
for me as I barely made it back to the airport. I purchased an O-200 last
week and would like to chat with someone who has converted from a Tri-Q2
revmaster already. Please email me at john.hartley1@... so we don't
clutter up the group with a bunch of minutiae.
Thank you,
John Hartley

britmcman99

John: for the benefit of the group could you please report all you can regarding the circumstances concerning your engine problems and also please allow us to know what your routine maintenance schedule might have consisted of? For example, did you routinely check cylinder head torque? Was fuel mixture, cylinder head torque, insufficient cooling of the problem cylinder or other factors thought to be at the root cause of your engine failures? I would be personally interested in knowing more on this.

Thanks in advance if you chose to share.

Phil Lankford

On Sep 17, 2012, at 8:36 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

John - you are obviously looking for Jerry Marstall.

SRH

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM, john.hartley1 <john.hartley1@...>wrote:

**

I saw there was a post in 2002 where a guy was "thinking" about converting
a revmaster equipped Tri-Q2 to an o-200 so I hope I'm not beating a dead
horse. That being said, I have a Tri-Q2 with a revmaster that has puked
(burnt a cylinder) on me 3 times while in flight. The last failure was it
for me as I barely made it back to the airport. I purchased an O-200 last
week and would like to chat with someone who has converted from a Tri-Q2
revmaster already. Please email me at john.hartley1@... so we don't
clutter up the group with a bunch of minutiae.
Thank you,
John Hartley

John Hartley

I've received several emails asking to keep this forum public- no problem.. Several questions about the failures I experienced have also came, so here goes a run down.

The plane was built and maintained by my grandfather. He was an engineer for GE's aircraft division and was meticulous with the servicing of the engine and plane. The engine failures I encountered have been several years ago, but I'll recall them the best I can.

The first failure I had was at about 10 hours flight time. I was circling over the airport ~80% power, 3000', and full rich. The cht's and egt's on all cylinders where reading well in the green. I heard a couple back-fires in rapid sucession. Immediately, the light reflecting from thr glass on all of the instruments started vibrating and I noticed the egt on the right rear cylinder was maxed off the scale. The engine was running really rough and would only make about 2000 rpm - not enough to maintain altitude. I circled down, landed on the runway, taxied in, checked the engine and found a hole in the bottom of the right rear cylinder about as big around as my thumb. Cylinder torque was fine. Faulty cylinder suspected as the culprit. The cylinder was sent back to revmaster, replaced with the latest greatest cylinder, engine was rebuilt and started flying again.

Second failure- about 50 flight hours, 40 miles away.. I was about 6,000', 80%, and all instrumentation indicating "in the green." The same indications again, backfire, drop in tach, glass flickering, egt spike, unstoppable descent, forced landing (luckily at a 5000' runway that was about a mile away when the failure occurred), post flight showed a hole in the right rear cylinder. Cylinder torque fine again. Carb somehow leaning suspected as the problem. New cylinder, new carb (posey comes to mind?) new tuning on the carb, and back in service.

Third failure- around 120 flight hours, aircraft has flown from Ohio to Florida. Departing west coast of Florida headed to the east coast, Sebastian, for a quickie fly-in, 2 souls on board, straight out departure, 6-7 miles out and 2,500', the same ominous signs as the other two failures... We were over a mostly swampy area, I did a quick 180, realized that about 500'/min descent was all we could maintain, some quick math said we'd better be looking for a place off field to set it down. Pushing back to the field, we found nothing - one road ~500 ft of straight road with corners and trees at each end. We made it back to the airport we departed from, never reducing power setting, touched down on the runway just before the numbers. We taxied in an found another burnt cylinder. Timing suspected. Cylinder replaced, timing adjusted (about 10 degree I think) and extensive ground runs and short flights have taken place without any signs of a problem with anything.

I'm 99% sure timing was the problem but can't bring myself to trust the engine. The airplane is amazing to fly. Its very responsive, very forgiving, and pretty fast- traits that don't normally go together. I love the plane and want to get comfortable flying it again. Leading me to my current situation, we bought an O-200 last week and have 100% intension of installing it. Within an hour of posting my request for information on here, a guy about 50 miles down the road, with experience doing what I'm getting ready to do, offered to share whatever info I needed. I'm looking forward to chatting with him and getting this airplane back up. Great site y'all are running here!

John Hartley

--- In Q-LIST@..., Phil Lankford <britmcman@...> wrote:

[...]

It will take a while to install, but when you get it done you will love the
O-200.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM, john.hartley1 <john.hartley1@...>wrote:

**

[...]

...>wrote:

**

I saw there was a post in 2002 where a guy was "thinking" about
converting
a revmaster equipped Tri-Q2 to an o-200 so I hope I'm not beating a
dead
horse. That being said, I have a Tri-Q2 with a revmaster that has
puked
(burnt a cylinder) on me 3 times while in flight. The last failure
was it
for me as I barely made it back to the airport. I purchased an O-200
last
week and would like to chat with someone who has converted from a
Tri-Q2
revmaster already. Please email me at john.hartley1@... so we don't
clutter up the group with a bunch of minutiae.
Thank you,
John Hartley

John Hartley

Parts Wanted:
I know some of you have extra parts/pieces squirreled away... I'd like to find a low-presti style cowl and a spinner for an o-200. If anyone has one they'd like to part with, or a good lead on one, I'd appreciate a shout. I'd also like to send thanks to Richard Kaczmarek. He's been very helpful with parts/ info.

Sam Hoskins

The Typical Q-200 installation uses the SN-4 spinner from Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sn4.php

Earnest Martin was making cowlings, not sure if he is still in the business.

Sam

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM, john.hartley1 <john.hartley1@...>wrote:

**

Parts Wanted:
I know some of you have extra parts/pieces squirreled away... I'd like to
find a low-presti style cowl and a spinner for an o-200. If anyone has one
they'd like to part with, or a good lead on one, I'd appreciate a shout.
I'd also like to send thanks to Richard Kaczmarek. He's been very helpful
with parts/ info.

Patrick Panzera

From Joe Horvath at Revmaster
Sorry it took so long to get back with this, but Joe needed time to
research it:

------------------------------
From: john.hartley1 <john.hartley1@...>
Date: Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:18 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Revmaster to o-200 conversion
To: Q-LIST@...

**

[...]

JESPER ROSENBERG

Hi John
How is your Conversion going
Im looking to convert Q2 to Q200
Does it take structual change to firewall, enginemount placeret WB issues
What have you found out so far

--- In Q-LIST@..., "john.hartley1" <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

Parts Wanted:
I know some of you have extra parts/pieces squirreled away... I'd like to find a low-presti style cowl and a spinner for an o-200. If anyone has one they'd like to part with, or a good lead on one, I'd appreciate a shout. I'd also like to send thanks to Richard Kaczmarek. He's been very helpful with parts/ info.

John Hartley

Not complete yet. As mentioned before, richard from "fast little airplanes" has been a huge help.

Structural change to the firewall?  Yes.  The mag box for the revmaster is to small to fit the o-200. The mag box gets cut out and a much larger box gets glassed in with 4 additional ribs glassed on the aft side of the firewall the help stiffen/strengthen. (Plans to accomplish this are available from Richard) Also notable, I have the 60amp alternator which requires even more space.

Engine mount placement? The engine mounts have to be moved to accommodate the o-200. I'll try to post pictures of what I ended up doing sometime. The location of the mounts, per the plans, was to close to the mag box in my opinion. I made an offset mount for the top right (viewed from the cockpit) mount.

Weight and balance? No idea yet. Fingers crossed though, it was pretty nose heavy pre-conversion.

I'll try to do a write up here when I'm mission complete. Currently, engine is mounted, wiring/instrumentation complete, controls ran and connected.
Need to finish plumbing fuel system, mounting exhaust, baffling, and cowling, and aquire and mount a spinner.

More to follow,
John

Does it take structual change to firewall, enginemount placeret WB issues
What have you found out so far

--- In Q-LIST@..., "john.hartley1" <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

Parts Wanted:
I know some of you have extra parts/pieces squirreled away... I'd like to find a low-presti style cowl and a spinner for an o-200. If anyone has one they'd like to part with, or a good lead on one, I'd appreciate a shout. I'd also like to send thanks to Richard Kaczmarek. He's been very helpful with parts/ info.

JESPER ROSENBERG

Thanks John
Pictures and q200 builders Info greatly appriciated
Jesper
Quickie 2 G-BPNL
Pulsar Jabiru22 OY-CJR
Supapup 503 9-950
CESSNA 182 OY-BFE
Sirocco Konig 9-11 ( I know, must change )

--- In Q-LIST@..., John Hartley <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

[...]

Update:

1- received the spinner from aircraft spruce, cut and mounted (Thanks Sam for the info tracking it down).

2- fuel system complete and a temporary 4 straight short pipe exhaust system installed.

3- sterba made a 60x70 prop (gorgeous) and its currently installed.

4- I started the engine last night while the aircraft was tethered to my vehicle. It ran exceptionally well.

It still needs baffling, carb heat box and ductwork, and cowling. It was, however, very motivating to hear that continental run! I can't wait to get this beautiful machine back in the air.

John

Sam Hoskins

You have brought it to life, congratulations John!

That's a big moment, isn't it?

Sam

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM, <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

Update:

1- received the spinner from aircraft spruce, cut and mounted (Thanks Sam for the info tracking it down).

2- fuel system complete and a temporary 4 straight short pipe exhaust system installed.

3- sterba made a 60x70 prop (gorgeous) and its currently installed.

4- I started the engine last night while the aircraft was tethered to my vehicle. It ran exceptionally well.

It still needs baffling, carb heat box and ductwork, and cowling. It was, however, very motivating to hear that continental run! I can't wait to get this beautiful machine back in the air.

John

John Hartley

It certainly felt like a big moment. I just now posted a couple pictures of engine a few minutes before start.

I have a question though, I'm using the same tach that I used with the revmaster. It seemed to show rpm 1/2 of what the engine sounded like it was running.

There is a rough video of it here (wasn't planning on posting it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGcJtlGSt7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Am I missing something or does it actually sounds like 300-500 rpm in the clip?

John

Bruce Crain

Mike Dwyer

Hi John,
With the straight pipes.  I've seen straight pipes without support vibrate and then crack.  What I did was to keep two of the pipes close and use heavy springs to hold the pipes together.  I hoped this way the individual pipe vibration would be reduced.  Seems to have worked because my pipes are holding together.  Also, as part of pre-flight check of the pipes are loose.  I had one loosen up once.

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Q200 Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM, <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

Update:

1- received the spinner from aircraft spruce, cut and mounted (Thanks Sam for the info tracking it down).

2- fuel system complete and a temporary 4 straight short pipe exhaust system installed.

3- sterba made a 60x70 prop (gorgeous) and its currently installed.

4- I started the engine last night while the aircraft was tethered to my vehicle. It ran exceptionally well.

It still needs baffling, carb heat box and ductwork, and cowling. It was, however, very motivating to hear that continental run! I can't wait to get this beautiful machine back in the air.

John

Sam Hoskins

Good observation.  I think your tach is probably wrong.  Start investigating by checking the tach P.N. with the manufacturer and very that it is the correct instrument.  You are taking it off the P-Lead of ONE mag, right?

Sam

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM, <john.hartley1@...> wrote:

It certainly felt like a big moment. I just now posted a couple pictures of engine a few minutes before start.

I have a question though, I'm using the same tach that I used with the revmaster. It seemed to show rpm 1/2 of what the engine sounded like it was running.

There is a rough video of it here (wasn't planning on posting it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGcJtlGSt7w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Am I missing something or does it actually sounds like 300-500 rpm in the clip?

John

John Hartley

Mike,

Thanks for the link, exhaust looks great - I'm going to adopt something as close to that as I can make. The straight pipes were more of a "I want to hear it run" setup.

John

---In Q-LIST@..., <q2pilot@...> wrote:

Hi John,
With the straight pipes.  I've seen straight pipes without support vibrate and then crack.  What I did was to keep two of the pipes close and use heavy springs to hold the pipes together.  I hoped this way the individual pipe vibration would be reduced.  Seems to have worked because my pipes are holding together.  Also, as part of pre-flight check of the pipes are loose.  I had one loosen up once.

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Q200 Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

John Hartley

Sam,

Yes I'm just using (1) P-lead. I'll contact the manufacturer and verify compatibility.

I've enjoy the rebuild blog you've been posting. At the rate you are going, you'll have a few race wins on yours before I get mine back off of the ground.

John