From: richard@...
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 21:11:19 +0000
Subject: [Q-LIST] TriQ Nose leg query

Hi Guys,

Not had much time for writing this year, been too busy getting things finished on the TriQ200.

Question for any of the TriQ flyers on the nose leg installation.

On the upgraded Scott Swing nose leg, do you have any clearance between the leg and the Canard lower skin in the zone between the firewall mount and the slider, or is yours snug against it ?

I remember seeing that this prevents loading the firewall mounting bolts and helps prevent failure.

I currently have about 1/4" clearance. Anyone confirm what they have please ?

Rich T.

TriQ200

UK.

fastlittleairplanes <mylittlemgb@...>

For your nose gear mounting the 1/4" should be fine as long as the tube follows the contour of the canard. I can send you a picture if it would help. the loads push the tube downward and not up into the canard.

Richard Kaczmarek
Fast Little Airplanes LLC

--- In Q-LIST@..., "viggenbuilder2" <richard@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Not had much time for writing this year, been too busy getting things finished on the TriQ200.

Question for any of the TriQ flyers on the nose leg installation.

On the upgraded Scott Swing nose leg, do you have any clearance between the leg and the Canard lower skin in the zone between the firewall mount and the slider, or is yours snug against it ?
I remember seeing that this prevents loading the firewall mounting bolts and helps prevent failure.

I currently have about 1/4" clearance. Anyone confirm what they have please ?

Rich T.
TriQ200
UK.

Bruce Crain

If it helps I mounted my nose gear so that the front on the gear has at least 1 degree forward so the bottom is forward. That keeps the gear from developing a shimmy. It should be built in but is worth checking.Bruce

For your nose gear mounting the 1/4" should be fine as long as the tube follows the contour of the canard. I can send you a picture if it would help. the loads push the tube downward and not up into the canard.

Richard Kaczmarek
Fast Little Airplanes LLC

--- In Q-LIST@..., "viggenbuilder2" <richard@...> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Not had much time for writing this year, been too busy getting things finished on the TriQ200.
>
> Question for any of the TriQ flyers on the nose leg installation.
>
> On the upgraded Scott Swing nose leg, do you have any clearance between the leg and the Canard lower skin in the zone between the firewall mount and the slider, or is yours snug against it ?
> I remember seeing that this prevents loading the firewall mounting bolts and helps prevent failure.
>
> I currently have about 1/4" clearance. Anyone confirm what they have please ?
>
> Rich T.
> TriQ200
> UK.

Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/50991991d028d19917addst01vuc

Mick Davies <mickdavies1967@...>

I don’t think I’ve any clearance on mine but I’ll check next week if you remind me!
Mick

Not had much time for writing this year, been too busy getting things finished on the TriQ200.

Question for any of the TriQ flyers on the nose leg installation.

On the upgraded Scott Swing nose leg, do you have any clearance between the leg and the Canard lower skin in the zone between the firewall mount and the slider, or is yours snug against it ?
I remember seeing that this prevents loading the firewall mounting bolts and helps prevent failure.

I currently have about 1/4" clearance. Anyone confirm what they have please ?

Rich T.
TriQ200
UK.

Richard Thomson

Thanks for the previous responses guys.

Mick, did you get chance to confirm what clearance you have with yours ?

Rich K,

I agree that the natural reaction is to pivot on the mounting plate so trying to pull the end of the leg off the spar, but that assumes that the plate does not move. If there is a clearance between the leg just rear of the plate, then the reation is to force the plate up the firewall, so by having a pad to take up any space will help to prevent this and spread the load, and not stress the weld.
My mounting plate is well floxed into place, with plenty inside the lightening holes, so feels solid.enough, but it seems sensible to have the leg snug against the canard skin to stop movement but this is not easy to set up for the uprated leg on LS1 spar without liquid shimming.

Rich T

TriQ200

Mick Davies <mickdavies1967@...>

Sending pic of Tri Q200 nose leg belly clearance but not sure if it will be sent.
Mick D
Tri Q200
G-BWIZ

Mick, did you get chance to confirm what clearance you have with yours ?

Rich K,

I agree that the natural reaction is to pivot on the mounting plate so trying to pull the end of the leg off the spar, but that assumes that the plate does not move. If there is a clearance between the leg just rear of the plate, then the reation is to force the plate up the firewall, so by having a pad to take up any space will help to prevent this and spread the load, and not stress the weld.
My mounting plate is well floxed into place, with plenty inside the lightening holes, so feels solid.enough, but it seems sensible to have the leg snug against the canard skin to stop movement but this is not easy to set up for the uprated leg on LS1 spar without liquid shimming.

Rich T

TriQ200

Jay Scheevel

Rick,

The nose gear plate is bolted against the firewall, and the bolts are
tightened to increase the friction between the plate and the firewall. This
allows the plate to transfer and spread its upward load to a large area of
the firewall. This is a shear load, but the load is not on the bolts, the
load is transferred by high frictional shear between the plate and the
firewall (provided the bolts are tight).

Think of a tire on the road. The tire is pushing the car forward, yet the
tire/road "footprint" is perpendicular to this push. The weight of the car
provides the force (pressure) on the tire/road. Friction is the resistance
to slip and is proportional to the pressure and contact area perpendicular
to the road. In the case of the tire, the pressure is equal to the tire
pressure and the load it can maintain is as follows:

(tire pressure) X (surface area in contact with the road) X (coefficient of
friction).

This equation determines the total force that can be applied before the tire
slips.

The reason that the plate on the nose gear is so large is in order to
provide a large surface area for the application of shear load to the
firewall. The purpose of the bolts is to provide the force normal to the
plate, making the friction large enough to prevent any slip. You have
increased this effect by gluing the plate in place. That plate will not
slip. You will break the fork or gear leg before it will slip.

The gear leg is a different story. It is a spring and a spring needs to flex
in order to absorb load. If you rigidly affix the gear leg to the canard it
will still flex and will crack the material you use to attach it or more
likely just delaminate the glass from the Styrofoam underneath, where you
will never notice it. Either way, it does no good. I suggest leaving a small
gap between the leg and the canard and covering with a fairing if you
desire. My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel - Tri-Q, still building