Spinners

Sam Hoskins

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Mike Bergen

Sam, you should know by know that welded aluminum has it¹s issues. The heat
affected zones on either side of the weld will crack again unless you
Œnormalize¹ or heat treat after the welding.

For a composite fabrication, if you had a good spinner you could actual use
that as a mold. I¹ll be talking of some of those tricks in my talks at Sun
ŒN Fun. You have to come down...

MB

On 2/23/13 1:42 PM, "Sam Hoskins" <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

One Sky Dog

Sam,

I chatted with Lynn French a few years ago. I believe he made a composite spinner for a Q. Maybe he has a mold.

I just made a mold for a 13" spinner elliptical not pointy like Vans. It looks good on my Dragonfly/Corvair.

Regards,

Charlie

On Feb 23, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

britmcman99

If truly spun, spinners should not have any welds. Did your last spinner crack out at a corner of the prop cutout or at a hole?

Phil Lankford

On Feb 23, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Raymond Johnson

Hi
Composite spinner, try Mark Langford KR2 site, as he has a photo instruction as to the way he built a spinner, it may be help full.
Regards Ray.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Sam Hoskins

Thanks guys. I will make the contacts off-line. I have had a battle with
spinners for the last 20+ years and there are several issues.

- Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem keep them in stock, so they send an order
to their sister company ACS. This is time consuming.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sn4.php
- A spinner needs a front plate which is sometimes secured to the
spinner with four screws. The size (diameter) of the front plate
is dependent on the thickness of the prop hub. Since the Q-200s don't have
a standard hub thickness, we are basically out of luck if yours doesnt fit
the standard. Here is an example:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/scspinner.html
- While racing, I run my engine at 3,100 RPM. Sorry, I just can't help
myself.
- Custom fitting a spinner is a P.I.T.A!

My last iteration had a front plate that I made from Kevlar, then added
nutplates for the screws. The crack in my spinner occurred from one of the
front plate screw holes and extends about 1" toward the rear of the
spinner. What probably happened was the fit between the front plate and
spinner wasn't perfect and the screw put stress on the spinner.

I'll have to think this one over for a while.

Sam

**

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

One Sky Dog

Sam,

There is no getting around aluminum has a finite fatigue life no matter how small the load. Coupled with a cyclic loading of 3100 rpm 100 hours gets you 16.6 million cycles.

I made a graphite backplate and spinner for my VW and ran it for 300 hrs at speeds up to 3600 rpm and hours at 3400 rpm. No front bulkhead, the backplate was a copy of the Dragonfly conical back plate. It is now on my brothers plane showing no signs of wear or degradation.

I am currently in the slow process of making a backplate mold for my Corvair it will be similar to a Vans aluminum back plate. I will use an epoxy that can take heat to ensure no softening in service. I am using Belleville washers now to keep a constant force on my prop hub instead of torque. Right now I have a Vans aluminum backplate with a graphite spinner separated by a glass insulating layer.

Regards,

Charlie

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Doug <hawkidoug@...>

Sam, Check the back issues of the newsletter. Lynn French did an article on how he made his.

Doug Humble

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Doug <hawkidoug@...>

Sam, The Lynn French spinner article is in the newsletter with your picture in it.

Doug Humble

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Sam Hoskins

Oh - that issue!

**

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

[...]

**

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a
composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in
mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Doug <hawkidoug@...>

Looks like the perfect optortunity to use Dan's new search tool.

Doug

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a
composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in
mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Terry Adams

I'm not an expert, but many people, me included, run the front bulkhead on a pressure fit without screws. I shim my front bulkhead until I have a positive pressure on it to align the spinner as it lines up to the rear bulkhead.

Terry

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:
Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Sam Kittle

Charlie,

What epoxy will you use that can take the heat?

Sam Kittle

_____

<mailto:sam.hoskins%40gmail.com> > wrote:

[...]

**

--- In Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> , Sam
Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Mike Perry

Have any of you done performance testing with and without the spinner? I
seem to recall Mike Arnold ran his speed runs without a spinner (for
weight?) and said it didn't make that much difference in performance.
Can't find a reference tho, don't know where I put his tapes. (Senility,
I know, don't tell the FAA!)

Any thoughts or experience?

Mike

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:
Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

One Sky Dog

Sam,

I have not selected one yet. I know there is a PTM&W infusible epoxy that will take the heat but I do not have a product number right now. I can get the number if you are interested in it.

I most likely will use an epoxy from Advanced Polymeric Inc. Again I have not reached the point where I need to decide which one to order. They have epoxy's that will not soften up to 200 degrees C.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Feb 24, 2013, at 11:11 AM, "Sam Kittle" <skittle@...> wrote:

[...]

Sent from my iPad

Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Mike Bergen

Sam, several of the ProSet epoxies will take the heat depending on the
hardener that you use. I can help you with this.

I¹ve had much better performance and support from the ProSet guys than from
PTM&W. If you decide to go with the ProSet let me interface for you as I get
a discount under my business.

Go to: www.prosetepoxy.com This site is excellent in its ease of product
comparison. What you are looking for are the terms Tg (glass transition
temp) or HDT (heat distortion temp) they are synonymous with in service
temperatures.

This is all good stuff guys as I¹ll take some of the mystery here in these
discussions and include them in my presentations at Sun N Fun.

Mike B

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
There is no getting around aluminum has a finite fatigue life no matter how
small the load. Coupled with a cyclic loading of 3100 rpm 100 hours gets >>
you
16.6 million cycles.

I made a graphite backplate and spinner for my VW and ran it for 300 hrs at
speeds up to 3600 rpm and hours at 3400 rpm. No front bulkhead, the
backplate was a copy of the Dragonfly conical back plate. It is now on my
brothers plane showing no signs of wear or degradation.

I am currently in the slow process of making a backplate mold for my
Corvair
it will be similar to a Vans aluminum back plate. I will use an epoxy that
can take heat to ensure no softening in service. I am using Belleville
washers now to keep a constant force on my prop hub instead of torque.
Right
now I have a Vans aluminum backplate with a graphite spinner separated by a
glass insulating layer.

Regards,

Charlie

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:43 AM, Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@...
<mailto:sam.hoskins%40gmail.com>
> wrote:
Thanks guys. I will make the contacts off-line. I have had a battle with
spinners for the last 20+ years and there are several issues.

- Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem keep them in stock, so they send an order
to their sister company ACS. This is time consuming.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sn4.php
- A spinner needs a front plate which is sometimes secured to the
spinner with four screws. The size (diameter) of the front plate
is dependent on the thickness of the prop hub. Since the Q-200s don't >>>
have
a standard hub thickness, we are basically out of luck if yours doesnt
fit
the standard. Here is an example:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/scspinner.html
- While racing, I run my engine at 3,100 RPM. Sorry, I just can't help
myself.
- Custom fitting a spinner is a P.I.T.A!

My last iteration had a front plate that I made from Kevlar, then added
nutplates for the screws. The crack in my spinner occurred from one of
the
front plate screw holes and extends about 1" toward the rear of the
spinner. What probably happened was the fit between the front plate and
spinner wasn't perfect and the screw put stress on the spinner.

I'll have to think this one over for a while.

Sam

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM, johnogr300 johnogr@...
<mailto:johnogr%40bigpond.com>

**

Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a
composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in
mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

quickheads

The search tool works fine for this one. :-)

The article is online
here:

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?Itemid=265&option=com_content&view=article&id=1128
[1]

Lots of other interesting articles show up if you type "spinner"
in the search utility.

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?Itemid=124&option=com_qba&view=qtalksearch
[2]

Remember. . . you must be a member and logged-in to view the
articles. Just FYI.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com
[3]

On 2013-02-24 10:05, Doug wrote:

Looks like the perfect
optortunity to use Dan's new search tool.

Doug

--- In
Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:

Oh - that issue!

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?Itemid=265&;option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=1128
[2]
http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?Itemid=124&;option=com_qba&amp;view=qtalksearch
[3]
http://www.quickheads.com/

Jay Scheevel

Hi Sam,

Just put a new 3-blade prop on my cherokee. I was surprised to find that the front plate on the spinner was bonded to the spinner with some kind of adhesive. It is a McCauley prop and the spinner is all aluminum. Perhaps someone more familiar with McCauley would know the type of adhesive (Charlie??). There is nothing in the manual about life of this assembly, so I would assume it is good for at least the TBO of the prop and was probably done this way to counter the type of thing you have found. Of course this would require that you put some kind of centering hub on the front of your prop, so that the front flange could slide over that, but the stresses on such an assembly would be much less because of the proximity to the center of rotation. My spinner front plate slides over the front of the CS hub like a skirt.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel --- Tri-Q...still building

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:
Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Sam Kittle

Thanks Charlie,

There is no rush for me but please keep us informed as you move forward.

Sam

_____

From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>

wrote:
[...]

**

Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in
mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam

Mike Bergen

FWIW: There are two families of adhesives that may work in this application,
epoxy and acrylics.

Epoxies require a treated surface such as a phosphoric acid was (aka PPG
DX533 or DX 579) and then the surface treated with commonly called sol-gel
(AC Tech AC-130). There are a couple of companies that make acrylic
adhesives specifically for bonding aluminum to aluminum as they have methyl
acrylic acid and a phosphate additive in them. Two of the companies they
have very good products are SciGrip (aka Weld-On) and Plexus. For more
information on the acrylic adhesives Google MMA structural adhesives. Hope
this helps opposed to confuse.

Mike B