Canard update

Sam Hoskins

The latest.  The bottom of the canard gets it's glass on Saturday.

We are supposed to get 4-5 inches of rain this weekend.  Good thing I'm not building this thing outside.

Sam

Brad Walker

Cool!!

I'm a lurker on this group but really do enjoy reading your blog! Keep up the good work!!

It's making me want to start building.. 8-)

-brad w.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

The latest.  The bottom of the canard gets it's glass on Saturday.

We are supposed to get 4-5 inches of rain this weekend.  Good thing I'm not building this thing outside.

Sam

Mike Dwyer

FYI.  I used peel ply on the top and bottom of the canard where it will attach to the fuselage.  This way you don't have to rough up the glass prior to fuselage attachment.

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Vimeo Videos: http://goo.gl/bsaLsG
My Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Dec 19, 2013 8:34 PM, "Sam Hoskins" <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

The latest.  The bottom of the canard gets it's glass on Saturday.

We are supposed to get 4-5 inches of rain this weekend.  Good thing I'm not building this thing outside.

Sam

Sam Hoskins

I hope to be peel plying the crap out of this layup.  A friend donated a bunch of old Ceconite fabric and I have a test layup going right now.  If it pans out, I will try and peel ply the whole surface.

BTW - I seem to recall some testing someone did, and the additional weight was insignificant..  Can't remember where I saw it though.

Sam

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Mike Dwyer <q2pilot@...> wrote:

FYI.  I used peel ply on the top and bottom of the canard where it will attach to the fuselage.  This way you don't have to rough up the glass prior to fuselage attachment.

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Vimeo Videos: http://goo.gl/bsaLsG
My Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Dec 19, 2013 8:34 PM, "Sam Hoskins" <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

The latest.  The bottom of the canard gets it's glass on Saturday.

We are supposed to get 4-5 inches of rain this weekend.  Good thing I'm not building this thing outside.

Sam

Mike Dwyer

I tried sheets of peel ply and it was very tough to pull off.  I'd stick to the 2" widths.

On Dec 20, 2013 7:40 AM, "Sam Hoskins" <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

dkeats <dkeats@...>

 Sam------------   When I do my building, I find it better to peel ply the entire wing when I am finished. You can still get any excess epoxy out and it is so much easier to do the final finish. I use cheap aircraft fabric I buy from ACS.  Keep up the good work. The world is watching.---------  Canada Chris

Skyraider

Um..... Additional weight??

As the name imply's ,  the added layer, gets peeled off, along with excess epoxy, therefore reducing weight
of the laid up item.

Charlie
(in Texas)

On Dec 20, 2013, at 6:40, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

quickieaircraft

Peel ply can leave a resin rich surface, hence higher weight.  UW and Boeing did some work on peel ply, see illustration on page 9 of http://depts.washington.edu/amtas/publications/presentations/Phariss_SAMPE_11-05.pdf

For good bonding and low weight, we want the blue fracture line and not the red.  My understanding is that this fracture line is controlled by chemical compatibility (btwn peel ply and resin) and also by working temperature. Low temps can cause high viscocity, which can cause problems with wicking out.  I suspect that a hair dryer and some light pressure with a squeegee should be able to reduce this resin-rich layer to an insignificant thickness for weight purposes.

I have had a similar experience to Mike Dwyer with large sheets of peel ply.

Emron

Try Q200 15hrs

R. Frisbee

There is a little extra weight using peel ply.  On a big aircraft like a Cozy it can equal several pounds if you peel ply the whole aircraft,  on a Q it would probably be pretty small.

Robert Frisbee

Overall NFC Validation & Quality Lead

Intel Corporation

[...]

One thing I am using for peel ply is Dacron purchased at Fabric Depot.  You can get a whole bolt of it for something like $.93 a yard.   Also Dacron comes in several different Weave thicknesses so you can choose a silky finish, or a rough finish by the type of Dacron you use.  When purchasing the Dacron, make sure it is “Untreated”.    I picked up 20 yards of untreated Dacron for $10 during a sale.   The only problem I have had is when purchased as a bolt, there is a fold line which can cause problems with a large layup.  I end up cutting the fold line out.   Also,  I have found the finer the weave the easier it is to pull off the peel ply which makes doing large finished parts like fuselage or wings much easier.

[...]

Thank you Emron,
 For clearing this up.

I have used Peel ply in fabricating a boat hull, over a male mold.
However,  IT WAS ALWAYS IN 80 +  degree temps.
so, I never has issues with the viscosity.
And the resin rich surfaces were not an issue either.

Very interesting research project. I didn't know that there even was one.
I stand edjumacated, now...      :-o

Thanks again

Charlie
(In Texas)

On Dec 20, 2013, at 9:27, <quickieaircraft@...> wrote:

Peel ply can leave a resin rich surface, hence higher weight.  UW and Boeing did some work on peel ply, see illustration on page 9 of http://depts.washington.edu/amtas/publications/presentations/Phariss_SAMPE_11-05.pdf

For good bonding and low weight, we want the blue fracture line and not the red.  My understanding is that this fracture line is controlled by chemical compatibility (btwn peel ply and resin) and also by working temperature. Low temps can cause high viscocity, which can cause problems with wicking out.  I suspect that a hair dryer and some light pressure with a squeegee should be able to reduce this resin-rich layer to an insignificant thickness for weight purposes.

I have had a similar experience to Mike Dwyer with large sheets of peel ply.

Emron

Try Q200 15hrs

Jay Scheevel

Looking good Sam. Keep up the pace! We are all pulling for you out here in freeze-ville. Average temp for December so far has been 13 degrees F.