Oil consumption

Mike Dwyer

My 0-200a is getting 3-4 hours per quart these days.  The compression is good.  Any ideas on how to figure out which cyl is guilty... maybe all of em?  Will borescope them in January.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Vimeo Videos: http://goo.gl/bsaLsG
My Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

britmcman99

Do you have the right equipment for a leak down test?

Phil Lankford

On Dec 19, 2013, at 6:43 PM, Mike Dwyer <q2pilot@...> wrote:

My 0-200a is getting 3-4 hours per quart these days.  The compression is good.  Any ideas on how to figure out which cyl is guilty... maybe all of em?  Will borescope them in January.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Vimeo Videos: http://goo.gl/bsaLsG
My Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

Paul Poulsen

Hi Mike,
It sounds like rings, are you blowing any/much smoke (blue/grey) on start up or acceleration?
You could try pulling the plugs and check them for carbon build up with any oily look and feel. If one or more are coated in soot and oily crap then confirm with a leakdown check and or borescope test. Clean the spark plugs with fuel and a wire brush being careful not to beat up the porcelain around the electrode or grit blaster if you have access to one. Reset the gap as per the AC65-12A (if you need the procedure let me know) and manufacturers (Gap) recommendations, refit and Bob's your Auntie.

How is your oil temperature and pressure?I  worked on OI-360s for a couple of years when the big end bearings and piston skirts were having arguments with the engine and walking out in mid flight. A few of the aircrew came in very pale and US'd the aircraft for oil pressure fluctuations

When was the last time that you had the oil checked for metal fragments? If your cylinder pressures and plugs are ok, Change the oil and filter and have an oil sample and the filter element checked for metal (coppery fragments in the oil are not a happy sign.

I hope that it is just something simple,

All the best
Paul

danchar18@...

According to my 0-200 manual that is about normal.  That is what my Cessna 150 has been doing for ever.

danchar18@...

I just looked in my 0-200 manual and it says the average oil consumption is 1/3 qt per hr

Mike Dwyer

Thank you all for the input.  So my better than average engine has slowly degraded over the years to average!  I will do the compression test and borescope soon.  Will report back what I find but otherwise the CYL are like $800 times 4 so maybe oil is cheaper!

Mike Dwyer
Q200 N3QP

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Q200 Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM, <danchar18@...> wrote:

I just looked in my 0-200 manual and it says the average oil consumption is 1/3 qt per hr

Lynn French

But if you do upgrade, there are options that give you 20+ hours per quart. Still may not be worth it unless you are doing it for other reasons, but that is the route a few of us have gone.
L J French

Short & simple from my mobile

On Dec 20, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Mike Dwyer <q2pilot@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the input.  So my better than average engine has slowly degraded over the years to average!  I will do the compression test and borescope soon.  Will report back what I find but otherwise the CYL are like $800 times 4 so maybe oil is cheaper!

Mike Dwyer
Q200 N3QP

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Q200 Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM, <danchar18@...> wrote:

I just looked in my 0-200 manual and it says the average oil consumption is 1/3 qt per hr

Mike Dwyer

Ok, got me curious.  New cyl or new engine?
Thanks & Merry Christmas!

On Dec 20, 2013 4:44 PM, "N142LF" <n142lf@...> wrote:

[...]

When I got my engine it had chrome cylinders that never really broke in right. So after several hundred hours I broke down and put on ECI cylinder and piston assemblies ( of course I had to mess with compression, EFI, ignition, ect. as well ). When the ECI's were broke in I very seldom add oil between oil changes. I will let others pipe up, but there are some on the list with that same or better performance. Some would say oil consumption is good, but I always thought it was a hassle.
LJ

Short & simple from my mobile

On Dec 20, 2013, at 8:18 PM, Mike Dwyer <q2pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Good evening Mike,

I bought my 0200A with about 2900 hours on it. Tore it down and rebuilt it, magnafluxed, zyglowed and yellow tagged everything. "Zero'd It".

I now have about 1250 hours on the engine  (upgraded to Superior Cylinders and 9.5:1 pistons @ 200 hours) and now have about the same blow by as yours.  I get about 42-45 lb. oil pressure on start up and use 15W50, never filling the sump more than 4.5 qts.on the stick, unless going on a long cross country. Compression averages 70's/80. I add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel and oil during every 50 hour oil/filter change.

I also installed a microwave baby bottle on a tube from the seperator to capture the blow by. It works well unless I forget to empty it. Then its belly cleaning time.

BTW, did you install the "Real Gasket" spring loaded push rod tubes. That helps as well.

Jim Q200 N46JP

Jerry Marstall

I have 320 hrs on new ECI cylinders and having the same experience that Lynn is having.  Very satisfied with them.
Jerry