engines

Allan Farr

Hi. Are there any Q2/200's with the Rotax 912? Would one work?

Robert Bounds

Hmmm.  I’ve never heard of one.  It would seem to be an ideal engine in a Q2.  I drive a Vari-eze and I’ve never seen one in one of those either.  I suspect that the price might have a lot to do with it.  The 0-200 works so darn well in the Q-200 and is cheaper than the Rotax that I can’t see a reason to change.  If you’ve got the bucks, maybe you could be the first with a Rotax.  You might consider a Jabiru or a UL engine also if you’re buying new.  There’s a guy in the UK flying a Long-eze with a small diesel that would be interesting.  So many choices now but if you have a Q-200, I’d go with the 0-200.  The installation is a known process and is a proven success.

R Bounds
tech counselor
serial builder
Q-1
Vari-eze
Bearcoupe (my latest, big ole sled, search “Bearcoupe” on youtube if ya wanna see it)

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:59 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] engines

Hi. Are there any Q2/200's with the Rotax 912? Would one work?

Allan Farr

Just wondering, I've got one in my Titan Tornado and like it. As you say - probably best just to use an O200.

P.S. That Bearcoupe looks like a mean machine;)

Paul Spackman

I am running a 912 in my Avid and they are nice engines.  I have a Jabiru 3300 in my Q-2 that works well also.  If you go with the 912 you will be pioneering and will have issues to solve but it would be a fun project.  As Bob Bounds said, the cheapest and easiest way to go is the O-200 but if you like challenges by all means go for it.

Paul

Raymond Johnson

Hi All
  I have a UL260ISA under my bench that I hope to install into on my Q2.
As this engine is 107hp, air cooled, fuel injected and lighter than the old VW engine, I hope this may be a good engine choose for the Q.
Regards Ray.
OZ.

Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:04 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] RE: engines

I am running a 912 in my Avid and they are nice engines.  I have a Jabiru 3300 in my Q-2 that works well also.  If you go with the 912 you will be pioneering and will have issues to solve but it would be a fun project.  As Bob Bounds said, the cheapest and easiest way to go is the O-200 but if you like challenges by all means go for it.

Paul

Bruce Crain

Mike Dwyer

Hi Paul,
That seems like a real nice engine altho a bit pricey.  I'd have a concern that the exhaust system will be right next to the composite firewall tho.  Rutan had big concerns with the exhaust heat softening the canard but this engine layout could really concentrate the heat at a critical point.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Dwyer

My YouTube channel: http://goo.gl/ddljYZ
My Q200 Website: http://q200.eu.pn/

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Raymond Johnson <johnogr@...> wrote:

Hi All
  I have a UL260ISA under my bench that I hope to install into on my Q2.
As this engine is 107hp, air cooled, fuel injected and lighter than the old VW engine, I hope this may be a good engine choose for the Q.
Regards Ray.
OZ.

Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:04 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] RE: engines

Paul