Looking to start my Q200

T Dalton

I'm looking to start my Q200 but as I look over the construction manual I've notice that the call for the construction of the fuselage is a 4 part glue together shells.  Is it possible via plans to build the fuselage without these shell parts?

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

Sam Kittle

The 4 part shells came out of a mold and would be hard to duplicate.  There are shells available if you ask around.
Sam

On May 21, 2015, at 9:44 PM, azpilot2000@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I'm looking to start my Q200 but as I look over the construction manual I've notice that the call for the construction of the fuselage is a 4 part glue together shells.  Is it possible via plans to build the fuselage without these shell parts?

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

britmcman99

Hello Todd in Chandler. I might be able to hook you up with some shells. They are in El Cajon, CA at Gillespie Field KSEE. Let me know if you are interested.  

On May 21, 2015, at 7:44 PM, azpilot2000@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

britmcman99

Ooooops!  About those shells, contact me at britmcman@...

Phil

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

John Loram <johnl@...>

Yes, you have that right.  I do recall reading in one of the Q-talk newsletters of someone who made a hand-laid up fuselage from scratch. I remember being very impress by the effort involved and imagine it added a significant amount of weight to the project.

-john-

www.loram.org

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:45 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Looking to start my Q200

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

Larry Severson

I have an assembled shell and canopy done by someone else. It needs some work. I would let it go cheap.

Larry Severson

18242 Peters Ct

Fountain Valley, CA  92708

(714) 968-9852

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Looking to start my Q200

Yes, you have that right.  I do recall reading in one of the Q-talk newsletters of someone who made a hand-laid up fuselage from scratch. I remember being very impress by the effort involved and imagine it added a significant amount of weight to the project.

-john-

www.loram.org

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:45 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Looking to start my Q200

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

quickheads

I get that question a LOT . . . so of course I added it to the FAQ on the QBA website here:

http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=838&Itemid=144

FYI.

-Dan

T Dalton

Sorry Dan I missed that on your FAQ's

T Dalton

Larry,

How much work has to be done to them?  Do you have any pictures of them?

T Dalton

Phil,
Did you get my email?

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:27 PM, "Phil Lankford britmcman@... [Q-LIST]" wrote:

Ooooops!  About those shells, contact me at britmcman@...

Phil

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

Larry Severson

I will get some tomorrow.

Larry Severson

18242 Peters Ct

(714) 968-9852

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:58 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Looking to start my Q200

Larry,

Sam Hoskins

No.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM, azpilot2000@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I'm looking to start my Q200 but as I look over the construction manual I've notice that the call for the construction of the fuselage is a 4 part glue together shells.  Is it possible via plans to build the fuselage without these shell parts?

Thanks

Todd

Chandler, AZ

T Dalton

Phul,
Is you email no @yahoo?

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:51 AM, "Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST]"

No.

I'm looking to start my Q200 but as I look over the construction manual I've notice that the call for the construction of the fuselage is a 4 part glue together shells.  Is it possible via plans to build the fuselage without these shell parts?

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

JMasal@...

Yes. All q-1's were built square sided per plans... so it is POSSIBLE to build a square sided Q2. The very first Q2 was square sided BUT
for an amateur to do it will take a whole lot of thinking and planning and prolly backtracking as you fix a foul-up.
Better to bite the bullet, get a part time job and track down some shells to buy.

j.

-----Original Message-----
To: Quickie List
Sent: Sat, May 23, 2015 6:51 am
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Looking to start my Q200

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

kingdws@...

You guys are forgetting there were not only several Q2 laid up by hand but that there were several other designs around that period you built by hand. These were not slab sided boxes either. 

Most were built using a version of plank on strip like a canoe. The foam was pressed into female bulkhead formers glassed on the inside then removed and placed over the actual bulkheads then glassed on the outside. Any extra weight game from gluing the foam planks together. If those were a tight fit very little weight was gained. Loose or sloppy fits and you would see more than a few pounds extra. I seem to recall one guy using vacuum bagging somehow and actually being very slightly lighter.

So it is most definitly possible to do. The real question is if a set of shells is available for the right price or good condition compared to the extra work this will require.

Dave

-------- Original message --------
Date:05-23-2015 09:54 (GMT-08:00)

Yes. All q-1's were built square sided per plans... so it is POSSIBLE to build a square sided Q2. The very first Q2 was square sided BUT

for an amateur to do it will take a whole lot of thinking and planning and prolly backtracking as you fix a foul-up.
Better to bite the bullet, get a part time job and track down some shells to buy.

j.

To: Quickie List <Q-LIST@...>

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

Larry Severson

I have photos. I will sell the aft and front plus the canopy for $600. I also have most of the foam parts well cut that I will sell for 4100 (well under the cost of the foam). Finally, I have a spare cowling set that I will sell for $100.

If you are interested in what I have contact me at larry2@.... The list does not accept photos.

Larry Severson

18242 Peters Ct

(714) 968-9852

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:52 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Re: Looking to start my Q200

I will get some tomorrow.

Larry Severson

18242 Peters Ct

(714) 968-9852

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:58 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Looking to start my Q200

Larry,

britmcman99

Todd:

If you would like to contact me you may do so by e-mail to britmcman@... or you may call me at 760-443-4124. 

Cheers,

Phil

On May 23, 2015, at 6:44 AM, T Dalton azpilot2000@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Phul,
Is you email no @yahoo?

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:51 AM, "Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

Phillip J. Kocmoud <pkocmoud@...>

To add an additional source, I have 4 sets of (4 piece Q2 shells) that are in unused condition at KARR in the Chicago suburbs. I was saving them for possible use in a different design, they make a beautiful tear drop fuselage.

Phil

Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2015 5:54 PM

Todd:

If you would like to contact me you may do so by e-mail to britmcman@... or you may call me at 760-443-4124. 

Cheers,

Phil

On May 23, 2015, at 6:44 AM, T Dalton azpilot2000@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Phul,
Is you email no @yahoo?

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:51 AM, "Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

JMasal@...

AMAZING. I published QTALK over 10 years and had some 500 readers at one point and only had ONE report of a
Q2 builder making his own fuselage. Amazing what people wont share. Never heard that any got flying.
Now the Dragonfly turtle deck was done as you describe.

To: Q-LIST
Sent: Sat, May 23, 2015 5:38 pm

You guys are forgetting there were not only several Q2 laid up by hand but that there were several other designs around that period you built by hand. These were not slab sided boxes either. 

Most were built using a version of plank on strip like a canoe. The foam was pressed into female bulkhead formers glassed on the inside then removed and placed over the actual bulkheads then glassed on the outside. Any extra weight game from gluing the foam planks together. If those were a tight fit very little weight was gained. Loose or sloppy fits and you would see more than a few pounds extra. I seem to recall one guy using vacuum bagging somehow and actually being very slightly lighter.

So it is most definitly possible to do. The real question is if a set of shells is available for the right price or good condition compared to the extra work this will require.

Dave

< br>

j.

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ

kingdws@...

Hi Jim 

Havent seen you in a few years lol.  

I think I might have pictures of one of those somewhere. From what I remember they were close but not quite the right shape. The other one the fellow did years later using the high flex foam panels that were not available early on. 

Dave

Date:05-24-2015 15:29 (GMT-08:00)

AMAZING. I published QTALK over 10 years and had some 500 readers at one point and only had ONE report of a

Q2 builder making his own fuselage. Amazing what people wont share. Never heard that any got flying.
Now the Dragonfly turtle deck was done as you describe.

To: Q-LIST <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Sat, May 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Dave

< br>

j.

No.

Thanks
Todd
Chandler, AZ