Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2015 12:24 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Q1 wheels and brake system options

Dear Quickheads,

I'm finishing up a mostly-complete Q1 project (actually Marc Zeitlin
is doing most of the work) and am interested in the group's opinions
on the suitability of the Q1 plans brake system. It seems a bit
dubious, but does it tend to work well enough in practice? Has anyone
fitted a hydraulic system or any other variant? Do larger wheels ever
make sense?

Thanks!
Henry Hallam
VariEze N27GM OAK
Quick-E N??? TSP

JMasal@...

Sanjay... I'm rattling around Wixom... email me: jmasal@...

j.

Some of the Q-1’s were modified to larger wheels and it makes them operable on grass which is a good thing in tail draggers.  The tire scrubber brakes are a joke.  I always said that they give you something to do while you’re waiting for the plane to slow down.  I would definitely upgrade your plane to bigger wheels with real brakes.
Bounds
(250 hrs in a Q-1)

Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2015 12:24 PM

Dear Quickheads,

I'm finishing up a mostly-complete Q1 project (actually Marc Zeitlin
is doing most of the work) and am interested in the group's opinions
on the suitability of the Q1 plans brake system. It seems a bit
dubious, but does it tend to work well enough in practice? Has anyone
fitted a hydraulic system or any other variant? Do larger wheels ever
make sense?

Thanks!
Henry Hallam
VariEze N27GM OAK
Quick-E N??? TSP

Terry Crouch

The stock Quickie brakes are very poor at best. With the large tire and wheel option they added a single lever to gain some mechanical advantage, they got a little better.
  When I built my Quickie the flat steel bar that rubs on the tire was replaced with a larger one that fits the contour of the tire so the surface area rubbing on the tires is many times larger.
  My brakes are adequate, if it is raining I won't be doing any fast stops.

     Terry Crouch
     Quickie N14TC

In a message dated 11/14/2015 2:00:32 P.M. Central Standard Time, Q-LIST@... writes:

Dear Quickheads,

I'm finishing up a mostly-complete Q1 project (actually Marc Zeitlin
is doing most of the work) and am interested in the group's opinions
on the suitability of the Q1 plans brake system. It seems a bit
dubious, but does it tend to work well enough in practice? Has anyone
fitted a hydraulic system or any other variant? Do larger wheels ever
make sense?

Thanks!
Henry Hallam
VariEze N27GM OAK
Quick-E N??? TSP

David J. Gall

Henry,

What engine and prop are you and Marc using on your Quickie?

Henry Hallam

Thanks all for the advice - much appreciated.

David: We are fitting an Emrax 208 40 hp electric motor and will be using a custom Catto prop.

Cheers, Henry