New Front Gear Design for Tri Q

Martin Skiby

Yesterday we got a wicked shimmy when landing a bit fast.  I believe all is well however am really not happy with the shimmy dampener that we have, which is the bellevue washers.  Jay sold me an update gear that has a screw type friction device but I understand that they may be even a stronger and updated version as well.  I wanted to see if I could get some information on the source and cost of this.  If we need to replace the nose gear at some point I would want to do it once with the best available.

Thanks all.

Jay Scheevel

The modified, beefed up, nose gear was manufactured in small batches by Scott Swing using the Velocity Aircraft design, somewhat modified to fit the geometry of the Tri-Q original gear geometry. I think that Richard (FLAPS) is geared up (pun intended) to manufacture essentially the same design. There is a link to that item on the quickheads.com site. I don't think that Scott is interested in making any more of these gear, especially since Richard wants to do that. If you choose to use the new (old version) of nose gear that you got from me, be sure to beef it up with the recommended stainless steel strap that is shown in the Tri-Q literature (also available on the quickheads.com site).

I also think that Richard or Sam Hoskins can give you all the info you need to set up an SARL race. Would be great to have one on the west coast.

mylittlemgb@...

We did take over the Tri-Q conversion from Scott about 5 years ago buying from him the rights, molds, and fixtures. Since that time we have been doing some work with it to make it lighter and stronger. Come sometime this summer I hope to flight test the new hoop that is almost 15 lbs lighter and should not remained spread out after landing like the original.

Jay Scheevel

Hi Richard,

Contact me off list. I have some ideas for you to consider on a new gear that may help you make a better main gear leg.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building