Q-200 Prop lengths and pitches

britmcman99

Hello Q-200 Tail Wheel Guys:

What prop brands, pitch and lengths are you running? What torques are you torquing to?

Cheers,

Phil Lankford

On Dec 30, 2016, at 9:38 PM, mskiby@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I just purchased a set of digital/wireless scales that we will make available next week during the BBQ.  So let's weigh some planes.  These are Proform scales for weighing race cars and can handle 1750 lbs per pad.    The BBQ starts at 1300hrs and I hope to see many of you here.  Again when you get there look for the A26 and park around the other Quickies that will be there.  We have two that will be there.  BBQ hamburgers and fixens provided and hanger talk of course.  We will set up to weigh planes in the large wooden hangers behind the bomber.  I will also have a set up to raise the tails to level with the scales if you want to check CG as well as get a total weight.

Let's hope for good weather and see you all on the 7th

Paul Fisher

Sterba 60x68; torqued to 18ft.lbs.  Hope that helps.

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Jan 21, 2017 6:54 PM, "Phil Lankford britmcman@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

albert jolliffe

Don't get inch pounds mixed up with foot pounds or you will squeeze the wood prop''

"Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST]"  wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Paul. I have a new Sterba so this helps indeed. I also have an older Prince P-tip and I am trying to get a few things sorted out.

I have been doing some engine runs on 84RC. The first run up we encountered some  roughness and cut out approaching wide open throttle. Fuel cap was leaking so next test we taped the fuel door shut and as suspected, the engine ran superbly all the way up to WOT.

We will be installing new engine probes and EIS and fitting the Sterba before further run ups. The chrome cylinder engine seems pretty healthy so far.

Cheers,

Phil

On Jan 21, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Phil,

60x72 Catto. Torque 30 foot pounds. Prop has built in backing plate so torques are higher.

Jim P
N46JP Q200

britmcman99

Hello Jim:  did Cato supply that prop with a spinner prefitted or did you have to sort that all out?  What is your static RPM and what do you like for cruise RPM?

Cheers,

Phil

On Jan 22, 2017, at 1:22 PM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Phil,

60x72 Catto. Torque 30 foot pounds. Prop has built in backing plate so torques are higher.

Jim P
N46JP Q200

Jim Patillo

Hi Phil,

I installed anpolished aluminum spinner on it. Front 3/8" aluminum bulkhead is beveled to fit the spinner and wrapped with self bonding rubber to keep the spinner running true. Static rpm is 2350. I get about 150k at 2500 rpm which seems to be the sweet spot.

Glad to see you getting active again!

Regards,
Your Northern CA buddy.

Jim P
N46JP Q200

britmcman99

Thanks, Jim. I really feel the need to understand the engine health so gotta get the EIS installed. The current system has Western Gages and I don't trust them. This engine isn't souped up and I plan to install the 60 x 68 Sterba onto it to start. I have been running these initial tests with a climb prop of unknown manufacturer. While there is a serial number on it I haven't been able to place it. It is sort of gigantic (60 X ?) compared to the Sterba, Amar Demuth and Prince P Tip I have laying around.  It has a red tip front and back and no blackout paint on the aft side.

So fitting a Spinner to the Sterba is on the  to-do list and the EIS.

The Canopy is original coffin hinge mounted with an air strut 16" closed 26 1/2" open and I am attempting to find a suitable replacement for the strut. I would love to have a forward sliding canopy but If I start revising too many items I will be delayed so looking again toward best safe path to airworthiness.

Cheers,

Phil

On Jan 22, 2017, at 6:40 PM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hi Phil,

I installed anpolished aluminum spinner on it. Front 3/8" aluminum bulkhead is beveled to fit the spinner and wrapped with self bonding rubber to keep the spinner running true. Static rpm is 2350. I get about 150k at 2500 rpm which seems to be the sweet spot.

Glad to see you getting active again!

Regards,
Your Northern CA buddy.

Jim P
N46JP Q200

Jay Scheevel

Hi Jim,

Is that 2500 rpm at WOT?

Martin Skiby

On the TriQ200 we have a 62X68 Performance Prop torqued to 30 foot LBS, 2400 static and 2900 WOT.  Installed the 60X72 Catto also at 30 foot lbs.  Turns 2300 static and 2800 WOT but is 5 mph faster than the performance prop.  We also have a Prince carbon P-Tip 58X71 prop that also calls for 30 foot lbs that we will try as soon as I get a spinner cut.  I am in hopes that the Prince is the best as that was my experience in the past with a Vari Eze and the P-Tip prop.  But we will see soon.

We will be running all of these on the Q200 tail dragger as well to compare.

All are available for people to try if you come to KMIT to see us.  I have a torque wrench and plenty of safety wire!!