Open-source / community certification-like analysis of homebuilt aircraft?

Rob de Bie

I'm having an enjoyable technical (stress analysis) discussion off-board with Jay, and that made me wonder: are there homebuilts for which the community of builders organised / executed a certification-like analysis? Maybe including documented flight tests, load tests to destruction, landing gear drop tests, failure mode analysis?

I would think there are enough technical people among the homebuilders crowd to make that possible. I think it would be hugely interesting for many (including engineering students), and it would help the cause of homebuilt aircraft. Just curious!

Rob