Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

Sam Hoskins

Thanks to Pat P. for the heads up.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_3/exploring/High-Desert-Tales-Scary-Stuff_21769-1.html
Sam

Sent via wireless Gizmo.

Ryszard Zadow

The CozyJet is STILL the worlds only successfully flying composite-canard jet.

Sincerely,

Ryszard Zadow

Founder and President

Rutan Aircraft Flying Experience

Waller County Aviation Museum

Like us on Facebook.

832 428 5864

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:36 AM
To: Quickie List
Subject: [Q-LIST] Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

Thanks to Pat P. for the heads up.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_3/exploring/High-Desert-Tales-Scary-Stuff_21769-1.html

Sam

Sent via wireless Gizmo.

Jay Scheevel

Richard,

Don't let Burt hear that you have forgotten about his most outstanding (and successfully flight tested) composite jet canard, the ARES. Maybe you could get one of these for your museum!

https://youtu.be/zG9LlHcX8lg

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building

Richard Thomson

Ryszard Zadow

< Perhaps not fully Composite…>

So what’s your point? The criteria was “composite canard … jet”. Why not suggest a Lear Jet with the disclaimer “Perhaps not fully Composite..”

I am well aware of the jet-Viggen.. how long has it been consistently flying? How many hours are on it? 1000 lbs useful load? Seriously? What’s its range?

I’m fairly confident my statement was very accurate.

Ryszard Zadow

Founder and President, Rutan Aircraft Flying Experience

Waller County Aviation Museum

Like us on Facebook.

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 1:39 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

Well I think you are both wrong,  You seem to forget the Jet powered VariViggen, N31GC, with around 1000 lbs useful load. Perhaps not fully Composite but great utility. 

Must get mine finished sometime. 

Richard Thomson

UK. 

Sent from my HTC

Ryszard Zadow

If you’re talking about Bill Sylva.. that’s a T-58 powered Viggen and it’s yet to fly.

There’s one in France with two Micro-Turbos on it and it doesn’t’ fly much it at all anymore.

Either way.. the only successfully flying COMPOSITE canard homebuilt is the CozyJet.

I wish NAMES were displayed on these emails so I knew who was spouting this stuff.. sign your name please!

Ryszard

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Re: Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

It is still flying based in Hollister, CA as I remember to was built in the mid 80's in an interview with Sylvia at Oshkosh years ago early 90's the range was like 1200 nm. But regardless it is the oldest and longest flying Rutan designed aircraft that has been converted to a jet and would be a better fit for the museum then the Cozy jet.

Richard Thomson

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Awesome. Never knew about it.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/19/17 9:06 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

Richard,

Don't let Burt hear that you have forgotten about his most outstanding (and successfully flight tested) composite jet canard, the ARES. Maybe you could get one of these for your museum!

https://youtu.be/zG9LlHcX8lg

Cheers,

Martin Skiby

Now here is a project that would be fun to tackle.  Too bad there are no plans anywhere!!!!  Getting the gun would be a challenge however.  Too bad the military would not even try it out.  I guess it was not expensive enough!!

Jay Scheevel

This aircraft (ARES) has been modified a few times to be a test bed for a number of systems. It has been observed a few times moving in and out of Paul Allen's hangar in Washington. It has over 300 hours on the airframe. The registration lapsed at the end of 2016, so may be non-flying status. The registration was still listed with Scaled Composites, but since Paul Allen is a part owner of Scaled, that may have been a formality. Would love to see it fly at an airshow. Maybe Jerry Marstall can buy it from Paul Allen, since JM is single pilot jet rated!

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel

Hi Jerry,

Sent you a question off line last week. Don't know if you got it. I may have been using the wrong e-mail address. Could you let me know if you recieved it? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jay

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Received.  I vaguely remember your email.  Thought I responded.  Try me again.

If you don’t get a return msg from me with in a day or two.  I didn’t get it.  I try really hard to respond to all of my msgs.

Jerry

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:30 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Here's what happened to the jet powered Quickie

Hi Jerry,

Sent you a question off line last week. Don't know if you got it. I may have been using the wrong e-mail address. Could you let me know if you recieved it? Thanks.

Cheers,
Jay

Ryszard Zadow

The Rutan Aircraft Flying Experience would love to have the Ares. 

We have the CozyJet, two flying LongEZs and a Varieze along with a Defiant and Varieze project that need completion. Our mission is to preserve and promote Burt Rutans homebuilt designs and keep then in front of the public by flying them! We hope to acquire at least one Flying example of each model, Longez, Varieze, Variviggen, Defiant, Solitaire and Quickie, eventually having a flight demonstration team with all these aircraft flying together. 

Quickies and Quickie pilots needed! 

Ryszard Zadow
Founder and President 
Rutan Aircraft Flying Experience
Waller County Aviation. Museum
Like us on Facebook

On Feb 21, 2017, at 10:29 AM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Cheers,
Jay