FW: Fire extinguisher

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Attached are two pictures of my automatic suppression system.  A 2.8lb bottle with two lines – one goes into the engine compartment and the other (pictured) into the cockpit.  Both have heat sensors like the one shown.  When the temperature reaches the setting for the sensor, the fire bottle is activated.

Today I flew to Hickory, NC to a fire extinguisher company that serves most of the SE.  They had some halon left over and were willing to work with me.  They met me at the airport and verified they could refill it. 

After 8 years, the halon had crystalized and froze the plunger in the “activate” position.  Which meant that I had to bleed the halon out by loosening the fittings.  Since it was low, it only took about 15-secs.  As the halon came out in a mist, it vaporized nearly instantly.  No puddles.  15 minute later we were on the way to their plant.

Back at the plant they replaced the plunger valve, cleaned the inside of the canister and refilled with 2 lbs of halon plus the requisite nitrogen.  Then they drove me back to the airport.  All of this cost me ZERO.  Yep, they were so interested in my installation and my charming personality that they simply told me “enjoy”.  My understanding is halon costs $60/lb, plus all of the labor (2hrs of conversation) and parts plus the personal Uber service.  I don’t run into deals like this very often.

I mentioned the discussion that has been going on with the list.  He confirmed that we don’t want any powder suppressants.  I then asked about the lethal effects of the halon stealing all of the oxygen.  I don’t know the circumstances surrounding Mark Waddelo but this fellow indicated that it wouldn’t kill us, even in a cockpit. 

His position was that a 2 lb bottle will disperse very quickly.  In order to rob the fire of oxygen it must attack in full force.  Dispensing the suppressant out slowly would not evacuate sufficient oxygen to squelch a fire.  Yes, there will be no oxygen for that timeframe and lots of really bad odor from the halon. 

Since our cockpits aren’t airtight (at least not mine), the inflow of fresh air with oxygen will cycle by quite rapidly.  He would expect to experience difficulty breathing for a few seconds, but it would not be incapacitating.

I personally feel better with an automatic system.  Several of our accidents have terminated inverted.  On such occasions, it is questionable if the occupants will be in any condition to locate (if it isn’t bound down) or unbind the canister (if it is) and deploy the suppressant.  If I’m unconscious or pinned, I hope that when the flames start licking my pink little body, the automatic system is still conscious.

That’s all I know.

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 5:08 PM
To: Jerry Marstall
Cc: Jerry Marstall
Subject: Fire extinguisher

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Jim Patillo

Jerry,

As usual, thanks for clearing things up. Speculation is simply that. Real world is where we operate. I will keep my Halon unit. Haven't had to use it yet, hope I never will. We had a friend burn up on his second flight two years ago. He jumped from 1,500'. Had severe burns all over his body. Not a good way to go.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Thanks Jim,

What an awful way to go. 

He truly had no options.

J

Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:05 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: FW: Fire extinguisher

Jerry,

As usual, thanks for clearing things up. Speculation is simply that. Real world is where we operate. I will keep my Halon unit. Haven't had to use it yet, hope I never will. We had a friend burn up on his second flight two years ago. He jumped from 1,500'. Had severe burns all over his body. Not a good way to go.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Got'r done.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 5/6/17 10:18 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] FW: Fire extinguisher

Looks like someone needs to recharge the thing!!!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B    417 hrs
Luana, IA.

On May 3, 2017, at 4:41 PM, 'Jerry Marstall' jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Attached are two pictures of my automatic suppression system.  A 2.8lb bottle with two lines – one goes into the engine compartment and the other (pictured) into the cockpit.  Both have heat sensors like the one shown.  When the temperature reaches the setting for the sensor, the fire bottle is activated.

Today I flew to Hickory, NC to a fire extinguisher company that serves most of the SE.  They had some halon left over and were willing to work with me.  They met me at the airport and verified they could refill it.  

After 8 years, the halon had crystalized and froze the plunger in the “activate” position.  Which meant that I had to bleed the halon out by loosening the fittings.  Since it was low, it only took about 15-secs.  As the halon came out in a mist, it vaporized nearly instantly.  No puddles.  15 minute later we were on the way to their plant.

Back at the plant they replaced the plunger valve, cleaned the inside of the canister and refilled with 2 lbs of halon plus the requisite nitrogen.  Then they drove me back to the airport.  All of this cost me ZERO.  Yep, they were so interested in my installation and my charming personality that they simply told me “enjoy”.  My understanding is halon costs $60/lb, plus all of the labor (2hrs of conversation) and parts plus the personal Uber service.  I don’t run into deals like this very often.

I mentioned the discussion that has been going on with the list.  He confirmed that we don’t want any powder suppressants.  I then asked about the lethal effects of the halon stealing all of the oxygen.  I don’t know the circumstances surrounding Mark Waddelo but this fellow indicated that it wouldn’t kill us, even in a cockpit.  

His position was that a 2 lb bottle will disperse very quickly.  In order to rob the fire of oxygen it must attack in full force.  Dispensing the suppressant out slowly would not evacuate sufficient oxygen to squelch a fire.  Yes, there will be no oxygen for that timeframe and lots of really bad odor from the halon.  

Since our cockpits aren’t airtight (at least not mine), the inflow of fresh air with oxygen will cycle by quite rapidly.  He would expect to experience difficulty breathing for a few seconds, but it would not be incapacitating.

I personally feel better with an automatic system.  Several of our accidents have terminated inverted.  On such occasions, it is questionable if the occupants will be in any condition to locate (if it isn’t bound down) or unbind the canister (if it is) and deploy the suppressant.  If I’m unconscious or pinned, I hope that when the flames start licking my pink little body, the automatic system is still conscious.

That’s all I know.

Jerry

Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 5:08 PM
To: Jerry Marstall <jerrymarstall@...>
Cc: Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>
Subject: Fire extinguisher

Jay Scheevel

Was standing in line at the supermarket pharmacy checkout the other day and saw this. I picked up the can to see how much it weighs, about 4 oz,, the claim on the back is that it provides up to 50 inhalations, the nozzle is the same as an asthma inhaler. I think the ideal solution might be to have the halon fire suppression, and have one of these handy to the pilot while the cabin clears of halon and/or smoke. They are only 10 bucks.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building and getting heavier...