Q1 Powerplant Change

Tommy Castleman

Howdy everyone,

I bought N4WH back in September 2015. It has sat in a garage collecting dust for the last two years. The reports I have read from previous owners of the planes suggest that the engine (Kawasaki 340 upgraded by Advance Engine Design) was a good one. However, I could not find a manual, logs, or anyone besides a friend who works on motorcycles (no aircraft experience) who could or would touch the engine. It has compression and seems to be in pretty good shape, but I never felt comfortable trusting my life to it. I also didn't like the limitation caused by needing ethanol-free automotive fuel.

After two years of searching, I finally found a mechanic who would work on experimental aircraft in the Houston area. He said "Don't fly the kawasaki quickie" with strong conviction. I never really did feel comfortable about the mystery engine, so I'm going to go with his advice on this one.

The kawasaki 340 engine is for sale. It has a prince prop. Make an offer. I was thinking about designing a utility drone around it, but if someone has a better use for it, I'd rather see it go to a good home.

I am also looking for an engine that would be suitable to repower the quickie. I'm looking more for ideas and information from people who have flown the Q1 with different engines. I could be interested in buying something, but my airplane budget is kind of low at the moment.

My biggest priority would be cross country capability. I would like something that burns 100LL, is reliable, and doesn't burn too much.

I was thinking about converting a VW engine... I'm looking at different options, but haven't decided on the best one yet. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Thomas

David J. Gall

I think you're in way over your head.

JMasal@...

A lotta this Q-1 alternative engine stuff was covered in Quicktalk 15-20 years ago.

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Thomas wrote: "I also didn't like the limitation caused by needing ethanol-free automotive fuel."

Seems like you think other aircraft engines can run ethanol based fuel.  One thing about ethanol based fuel is the ethanol loves to absorb moisture.  Say your fuel is saturated with water at sea level.  You climb to 5000 feet where the temperature is 17 degrees F cooler and that water will come out of suspension.  If enough water comes out, your engine quits.  Thus no aircraft engine should use ethanol based fuel.

Fly Safe.
Mike N3QP Q200

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM, JMasal@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

MATT HUGHES

I am in the process of installing a 1/2vw on my q1.  The biggest job was creating the cowling.  The 1/2vw engine mounts were easy.  This is where I left off this spring.  I will return to the project this winter.  I finished my sonerai this summer.  I have split lines created in my mold so I can layup top and bottom cowling plus checks individually in the mold to create fitted parts with flanges.  I flew this airplane with the Onan last summer and fall.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 4:12 PM, JMasal@... [Q-LIST]
wrote:

[...]

Patrick Panzera

Test flying begins this week.