Torpedo heaters - epoxy contamination?

Sanjay@...

Is there a problem in using Torpedo heaters in workshop/ hangar while working on composite airplane projects?

Thanks

Sanjay

One Sky Dog

Like propane or kerosene ?

Propane produces a lot of water vapor, this can react with epoxy cure agents to produce amine blush on the surface of your laminate. Amine blush can be removed by scrubbing with soap and water before sanding. If not removed before sanding it is just spread all over and will compromise subsequent bonding.

Kerosene heaters emit vaporized kerosene as well as water vapor.

I like local plastic tents with electric space heaters like the radiator kind to keep the layup warm untitled cured.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Dec 17, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Sanjay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Is there a problem in using Torpedo heaters in workshop/ hangar while working on composite airplane projects?

Thanks

Sanjay

sanjay <Sanjay@...>

Charlie,  thanks.
 I am considering a Kerosene heater to keep me and the hangar warm, not much epoxy work, but the project is not painted so is there threat of some contamination on composite surface?

For curing epoxy I have been using plastic tenting around layup with space heater inside.

Thanks
Sanjay

Propane produces a lot of water vapor, this can react with epoxy cure agents to produce amine blush on the surface of your laminate. Amine blush can be removed by scrubbing with soap and water before sanding. If not removed before sanding it is just spread all over and will compromise subsequent bonding.

Kerosene heaters emit vaporized kerosene as well as water vapor.

I like local plastic tents with electric space heaters like the radiator kind to keep the layup warm untitled cured.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Dec 17, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Sanjay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Is there a problem in using Torpedo heaters in workshop/ hangar while working on composite airplane projects?

Thanks

Sanjay

Bruce McCormack

Carbon monoxide is never our friend. It bonds to the red corpuscles blocking them from moving oxygen.
For a better alternative surf up   ‘   Infrared tube heater gas   ‘