flight report

Kevin Boddicker

Had the opportinity to take to the air yesterday. The mission was to meet Paul Fisher at DVN for lunch.
Had flown once since signing off my condition inspection and all went well.
Forecast was sunny and 41F winds light and variable.
Arrived at the AP and started the pre heater (hair dryer), did the pre flight, had full fuel. All is good
Fired her up, taxied to 11, did the runup, into position, full power, lift off at 80, All is good.
Climb out at 100, start a right hand turn on coarse, ALL IS BAD!!! Lost partial power! Applied cab heat, cough, sputter, gaining RPM, seems to be full power.
Carb heat off while changing from right turn to left turn (trying to find the AP) to a downwind, still climbing slightly. Power loss again to 2000, 2100 rpm.
Again with the carb heat, off with the fuel pump, PRM increases slowly, but getting better. Back to full power with carb heat on, about 2400 rpm.
200’ below pattern altitude, power back to 1700 rpm (that makes you pucker as well) a bit fast on final, but not a problem. Nice touch down, brake hard to get speed down. Make first intersection and clear the active.

Carb ice is bad shit! Thought I had a handle on this problem a few years back. I had problems then, because the cabin heat box had an overflow hole to let hot air escape. When I applied carb heat, the air would draw from the overflow hole, across the top of the heat muff and into the carb, rather than from the fresh air inlet in the baffling, through the length of the heat muff and into the carb, taking the path of least resistance. When this happened, the air was not warmed sufficiently, and ice could form. Solution. Cover the overflow on the top of the cabin heat box. No problems since.

Back to the story. Did passes down the runway full power. Chopped power and did the second and third. Forth the pass, climb out at 100 to 3000’ and fly around the airport for about 15 min. No sign of that nasty bastard ice! Got on coarse and headed for DVN. Every little noise or bump gets your attention, RIGHT NOW! Took about half the flight to get the edge off. Fair landing at DVN. Taxied to Paul’s hanger. Had a nice lunch. Played with some wires and annunciator boards that Paul had made. Paul got his pre heat going. We both took off from runway 21. Paul followed me for about half the trip home, (just because he could) and turned back. Engine ran fine all the way home and made an excellent LDG at DEH.
Now the to conclusion. Remember the cabin heat box? Wellll, I had turned on cabin heat before taxiing to 11 on my first attempt. Thus allowing the engine to pull air from the cabin, across the heat muff, instead of through the muff, and was not getting hot air on runup. Started to form ice and by the time I was 400’ off the ground bad things happened. When I left DVN, I closed the cabin heat on TO and left it that way all the way home, as it wasn’t too cold. A bit chilly when I got there.
You can draw your own conclusions, but be aware of carb ice. It will make you sit up and take notice!

Merry Christmas

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 445 hrs
Luana, IA.

Sam Hoskins

Fun stuff, eh Kevin?

I'm trying to get a handle on your cab heat and cabin heat setup. How about sending a few photos? You have two heat muffs right? There should be one for cabin heat and one for carb heat. The cabin heat will use fresh air from the intake area of the cowling and the carb heat would use simply a muff from the inside of the cowling. Is that what you have?

Sam

On Dec 17, 2017 8:13 PM, "Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Good trip report.  I got a question tho... what was the dewpoint?  At that temp it would be real easy to get the carb to freeze but shouldn't freeze at high power.  Your fuel doesn't have water in it I hope.

I had carb icing once.  The engine died on base when I pulled the carb heat.  After that I built a carb temp gauge out of a digital inside outside temp gauge.  Now I can see my carb temp and don't pull the heat unless I need to.

Fly Safe,
Mike Q200 N3QP

On Dec 17, 2017 21:12, "Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Hey Kev!

Glad to hear you are safe and sound. I’ve rarely had carb ice but when temp and dew point come together it’s not good. And yes! It makes for a real good butt pucker.

I have a temp probe in carb intake spider for just that reason. You might want to invest in one.

Jim

N46JP Q200

Kevin Boddicker

Sam,
I have one muff for both. Muff has fresh air inlet and two out. One for cab heat and one for cabin heat. Works great as long as the heated carb air travels all the way through the muff. When cabin heat is open, the air can draw from the cabin and only travels through the top of the muff not collecting sufficient heat to quickly melt any ice.
Will try to send pics later.
Kevin

On Dec 17, 2017, at 9:27 PM, Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,
I did have a carb temp sensor, that you helped me design, but it was not robust enough to take the vibration etc. wires were too small gauge.
No water, just finished annual and had drained all the fuel, changed filter, and refuled. No water in filter, and it is the lowest spot in the system before going through the fire wall.
Kevin

On Dec 17, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Mike Dwyer q2pilot@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

I'll check into a temp gauge again.
Thanks,
Kevin

On Dec 17, 2017, at 11:15 PM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hey Kev!

Glad to hear you are safe and sound. I’ve rarely had carb ice but when temp and dew point come together it’s not good. And yes! It makes for a real good butt pucker.

I have a temp probe in carb intake spider for just that reason. You might want to invest in one.

Jim

N46JP Q200

Sam Hoskins

The standard installation for a carburated engine is to have two heat exchangers. There is a reason for this, and it has worked pretty successfully for thousands of aircraft.

The carb heat should come from a muff clamped around the exhaust pipe, and it open to the lower cowling area.  This has an additional advantage because it is taking air that has already received some heat from the engine. The carb heat system does not need the overflow system that cabin heat uses.

Cabin heat should take fresh air from the upper plenum area of the cowling, deliver it through a heat muff, then flow to a diverter valve. It uses fresh air to ensure that any exhaust gases, say from a leaky exhaust gasket, is delivered to the cockpit. As I recall, the carb heat system needs the diverter to prevent hot spots on the exhaust pipe under the cabin heat exchanger which could cause distortion and cracking.

I really think you ought to go to the standard two muff system.  Do a Google image search for Exhaust Carb Heat Cabin Heat for lots of examples.

I eliminated my carb heat system when I went to fuel injection.

Sam Hoskins
A&P

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:25 AM Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,
The carb spider is not a good place for measuring carb temp.  The spider splits the air/fuel mixture into 4.  If your using a MA3SPA carb, there is a plug in the throat where the sensor goes.  This is real close to the throttle plate.  This is where the temperature drops when the throttle is retarded and where the ice builds up.
Mike N3QP Q200

On Dec 18, 2017 00:15, "logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hey Kev!

Glad to hear you are safe and sound. I’ve rarely had carb ice but when temp and dew point come together it’s not good. And yes! It makes for a real good butt pucker.

I have a temp probe in carb intake spider for just that reason. You might want to invest in one.

Jim

N46JP Q200

Bruce Crain

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Kevin, thanks for sharing your experience.  Will save someone else’s bacon.  Good job.

I knew there must be a reason I didn’t put in cabin heat.  Just didn’t know what it was until now.  (plus I don’t have room for another muff or I would have)

Jerry

[...]

You are correct Mike, I pulled the cowl this morning. My temp sensor is in the throttle body plate. It’s been a long time since I installed it. 😊

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sam Hoskins

It won't prevent carb ice, but it's a reliable system to get rid of it.

Sam

On Dec 18, 2017 7:46 AM, "'jcrain2@...' jcrain2@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I agree with Sammy.  I have the same system, with 2 different muffs, and have never had carb ice.
Bruce

We Say GoodBye To Sally Fields
iflperfecttouch.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5a37c646673846452a89st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Jay Scheevel

Thanks for the report Kevin. A little pucker factor there, but we are glad that you got is solved and did not make Paul have to miss his lunch. I was thinking maybe there was enough hot air in the cabin to do the trick, but I guess not :-)  Glad you are OK.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building

Jay Scheevel

Hi Kevin,

Just remembered my last experience with severe carb ice was about 50 miles north of you and Paul, flying down the Mississippi river in southern-most Wisconsin the early summer. Overcast at about 3000'. I had a constant speed prop, so rpm was constant. I was enjoying the scenery and I started to notice that I kept loosing altitude a little at a time at cruise. I thought this is strange, so I did a scan and...what the !...manifold pressure was down to about 18".  I quick pulled the carb heat on and it almost killed the engine (O-540), so I pushed it back in and eased it out a little at a time. MAP came back to normal over a short time and I left carb heat about half on until my heart beat returned to normal. Checked every so often after that.

Out here in the mountain west, carb ice is about as common as Maine license plates, so you get a little complacent. Mind you, the experience that I mentioned was nearly summer time. OAT was probably in the mid-60's, so it can happen any time the humidity is right and there is enough air going through the carb.

I agree with Sam, that two muffs, each with specific design is the way to go.