Important Items for a Long Cross Country

Matthew Curcio

I'm getting ready to make a literal cross country to bring my Q200 out here to Mojave from my previous home airport in Ohio. I'm planning for <2 hour ~300 mile legs and I'm going to go south and around the rockies. Anywho, any Q specific items or tips you all might have for a long cross country? This will be my first time in any cross country venturing more than 3 states from Ohio.

Current List:

Warm clothes and blanket

water for 2 days and a couple of MRE's

Ipad and Iphone with foreflight for NAV and LA VFR sectional

3 Charging cables( for Ipad and Iphone and spare)

Handheld radio

tie downs (can be used for hand propping if need arises)

30ah Lipo battery back - lightweight and can be used for jumpstarting, backup source for charging nav devices, and added battery reserve for fuel pump (I ditched the hand pump in lieu of a redundant electric pump) in the event of an alternator failure.

Matthew Curcio

419.290.3773

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Buy a Spot personal locator beacon.

[...]

Mike Dwyer

I made some wheel chocks out of the spare foam.  Real light and comes in handy because standard chocks don't work with the low wheel pants.  The plane sat chocked and tied down in Key West once with 55 mph winds and had no issues.  Not a bad idea to put a bungee cord to hold the control stick in place or maybe a control lock of some sort.

On Cross county's I carry a survival pack with a minimum of some space blankets, bug repellent, flash light, lighter or fire starter, compass...

I also carry a couple of quarts of oil because the FBO's want a crazy amount of $$$ for oil.

I also have a handheld EPIRB in leu of the standard 406 aircraft device.  See ResQLink.  The cool thing about this device is the batteries are replaceable by someone who can solder.  Makes it much cheaper to maintain than many other types...

I also look for the Airport Facility Directory - good runways.  Poor runways are hazardous to Q200's.

Mike N3QP Q200

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Hoskins

Mathew,

I don't know the size of your header tank, but I fly until the main(s) are about empty, then I have the whole header in reserve.  In the cockpit, I use duct tape, water and a relief jug, pretty much in that order.

Out west, fuel stops are farther apart and sometimes the airports are unattended.  If you find yourself needing fuel and pick an airport off the chart, I suggest calling their Unicom 50 miles out or so to make sure fuel is available.  One place we stopped in Texas, you had to call the local sheriff's office and they sent an officer out to unlock the pump.

Flight following is very good to use and someone knows where you are most of the time. The other guy's suggestions are right on also.

How is the new job going?

Sam

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:33 AM Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

One Sky Dog

Matthew,

I do not know your intended flight plan, however there is lots of military airspace in the southern US and lots of desert. Airports are far apart.

I have been to Mohave, and as far East as Wisconsin. I used to be based in Ogden Utah and have flown across AZ and NM plenty of high plateau areas with high passes.

My choice would be follow I-80 to Ogden then cut south TVY, Delta, Milford, Cedar City, St George, Lake Mead, Bullhead Az, to MHV. All under 10,000 and mostly close to civilization.

As far as equipment you might want to throw in a satellite based PLB especially if you have a 121.5 transponder. I went down less than 20 miles from my house and the transponder went off and no one came. Luckily I was in cell phone range.

Plan well change the plan as the flight conditions dictate. Have a good trip.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Dec 18, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

britmcman99

Bring some drinking water as you will need it to stay hydrated. Download Xavion from the App Store and pay for a month (around 10.00).

Phil Lankford

On Dec 18, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Bounds

Matthew,
You need to mooch places to stay on your trip.  All you have to do is ask airplane guys and they’ll be glad to host you.  We have an extra bedroom and an empty hangar.  The runway here is 4800 x 60 and gas is $4.00.  I’m gone for Christmas but home after that.  I’m in southwest Nebraska 20 miles south of I-80.  Home airport is KGGF.  You’re welcome to stop here.
Bounds
308 352-6073

[...]

Thanks Sam - Duct tape will most definitely make it in my tool kit. My header tank is 5 gallons - I measured it. Over the summer I tested flows at take off angles and noted that while flow was drastically reduced as header level goes down it did still meat max requirements for the O-200. That said I have not tested this and I am leary of a go around scenario with the header tank level below full that is what is driving my 2 hour limitation. I am pretty nervous about running into airports with weird fuel availability (ive even ran into that in my amphib around ohio) - I'm going to ask around / call ahead prior to departure. I'm planning on staying on flight following as much as possible, unfortunately I don't have the transponder installion completed yet or certified which will make that a bit of a PITA. I'm going to advise departure, intended destination, and fuel on board with some friends / family as a secondary.

New job is fantastic. Working at Scaled Composites is every bit as dreamy as you might imagine. You're just surrounded by incredibly smart, hands on engineers who are basically all pilots and homebuilders as well. Its the closest thing to living at Air Venture you can get I would say. I'm working on the Stratolaunch airplane, which completed its first taxi test as of yesterday. Pretty cool to watch it out moving around and an added bonus is the big empty hangar while she was out means lots of space for us to fly RC airplanes around inside. Thanks for the advice and thanks for asking!

Matthew Curcio

419.290.3773

[...]

Jim Patillo

Mathew I made a 6.8 gal Fiberglas AUX tank with fuel resistant quick disconnects and used a small on demand motor home fuel pump which pumps directly to the engine and internal baffles to prevent tank sloshing. This gives me a total of 27.1 gal.

I burn AUX off first. Pictures in files above. I’ve been across the country several times and it gives a lot of piece of mine. Tank is molded to lock in just aft of the pax bulkhead. Works great and tank weighs nothing. Can be installed and removed in 10 minutes.

Just a thought.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Correction: “pumps gas directly from AUX tank to Header tank”

Jim
N46JP Q200

Jim Patillo

Correction: “pumps directly from AUX tank to Header tank”

Jim

N46JP Q200

Jay Scheevel

Hi Matthew,

Your job sounds great. I am glad you landed that.

As far as what to carry, I have a suggestion. I have a good friend who is a pilot of just about anything that flies. He does a corporate pilot job in a biz jet a couple times a month. He carries a "burn bag" fireproof thermal bag for the possibility that one of his ipad, iphone, etc. etc. batteries decides to melt down. He says he would just throw the device in there and seal it up. Would reduce a frightening cockpit emergency to a minor incident.

With all of the lithium powered devices we all carry now, it seems like a good idea. There is no way to put out a fire on those devices once the batteries start to burn.

I suggest you take Bruce's invitation to go to Enid. This time of year, the southern route is the only sure way to go. I have prepared a flight log for you from Enid, the first leg is 2 hours, with no other leg longer than 1.5 hours assuming a true groundspeed of 140 kts. In this route flies directly over many other suitable airports for your quickie. If you can go to 10500 feet MSL, you will have about 2000' of clearance over the highest points along the route and never be out of radio range for flight following. The route goes as follows:

Enid OK
Dahlhart, TX
Moriarity, NM (east of Albuquerque)
Grants, NM
Winslow, AZ
Prescott, AZ
Bullfrog/Lake Havasu AZ
Twentynine Palms, CA
..then over Palmdale and into Mojave

I have flown into most of these airports, only never having visited Enid and Twentynine Palms. All the others have long good quality runways and daylight attended fuel.

Wishing you clear skies and smooth flying!

Oh, one other thing: remember to watch your airspeed carefully on final, as you land at higher and higher field elevations. It is easy to get fooled because your groundspeed is significantly higher for the same airspeed so your visual ques are different than you are used to at lower field elevations. At the higher altitude fields you will think you are coming in too fast, but you are not. Believe your airspeed.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, stilll building

[...]

Thanks! For the suggestions, I like the idea of the battery bag. That is a very good consideration especially with the gas tank being such close proximity to where you might toss something on the passenger seat.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Dec 20, 2017, at 9:52 AM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

<Q200_navlog.pdf>

Matthew Curcio

Oh yeah and thanks for the reminder on airspeeds. That’s something I’ll have to keep telling myself. I’m actually going to most likely fly to imperial county airport in California to spend the new year with some friends at the glamis sand dunes and then up to Mojave (tehachapi actually). I think your route should be pretty close to that anyways and but I won’t have time to check until later today or tomorrow. I think going there will be good as it gives me a good reason to steer well clear of all the big mountains.

Thanks,

[...]

Consider carrying along tire inflation and tire repair items.

Phil

On Dec 20, 2017, at 9:08 AM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

I am based in El Cajon, CA Gillespie Field (KSEE). Nice stopover if you need to and also consider Ramona (KRNM).