New member just got a tri q200


Steve S
 

I just acquired a quickie q2 project Saturday. It is in boat form ready to have the wings and gear mounted. I currently own a Avid mk4 speed wing and have 20 years of experimental aircraft building from airplanes to gyrocopters. I do not plan on using a o200 on my plane and am thinking way out of the box with the yamaha rx1 120hp motor. I know several people with them on gyros and airplanes that love them. I only got a crude manual so I'll be asking tons of questions about this little hot rod.
Steve
Avid mk4
Quickie tri q200 project


Matthew Curcio
 

Sounds cool. Yamaha makes great engines sportbike engines. Would you consider putting an O-200 on it first to work out all of the airframe bugs prior to having to work out engine bugs? The Q is an awesome cross country airplane but it is not a top performer in take off or landing. You will land at ~80mph and need ~2000 to get it stopped. Takeoff is maybe 1000 feet if your light and at sea level but you'll eat up some runway building up airspeed to start climbing. I say that because if you start to lose your engine on takeoff, even a 6000 foot strip at sea level would be tight to be able to land straight ahead on takeoff. Gyro planes, weight shift, slow airplanes, etc. are great for playing around with motors but something that lands with as much energy as the q does is not an ideal platform. I've done the car motor thing on my amphib (lands slow and can land safely almost anywhere) and what I found was that while the initial cost was less, the cost to get the bugs worked out was far more than the cost of an airplane motor. If you like tinkering with engines and you want to save money maybe you can look for a good deal on a disassembled o-200 with some time on it?


 I ended up replacing the suzuki motor on my amphib with an o-235 that had some time on it and was disassembled. I paid 2k for it, did the top end and re-assembly myself, designed a custom bed for the airframe and engine, designed a custom exhaust, intake, oil pan etc. and it was a fraction of what I had spent on the car motor and I spent 1/38 of the time working on it in 140 flight hours as I did in 70 flight hours on the Suzuki. I've put 50 hours on my q in the last couple of months flying across the country and all over the west coast and while I never count on the motor running to keep me alive I wouldn't trade that O-200 for ANYTHING. Also, if you are using a carbureted R1 engine you'll need to add mixture control and if your using fuel injection that you won't be able to burn 100ll. That's not a big deal on a gyro but for a cross country machine that is a game over, sure you can use additives to get rid of the lead. These things that sound like little hurdles will really eat into the mission of the Q.


If your selling yourself on the additional power and fuel consumption you could get from the R1 motor, high compression pistons, fuel injection, tuned exhaust, intake and electronic ignition on the O-200 will beat the R1 motor in power and fuel burn.  



Matthew Curcio

419.290.3773




From: Q-LIST@... on behalf of chopndrag@... [Q-LIST]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:27 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] New member just got a tri q200
 
 

I just acquired a quickie q2 project Saturday. It is in boat form ready to have the wings and gear mounted. I currently own a Avid mk4 speed wing and have 20 years of experimental aircraft building from airplanes to gyrocopters. I do not plan on using a o200 on my plane and am thinking way out of the box with the yamaha rx1 120hp motor. I know several people with them on gyros and airplanes that love them. I only got a crude manual so I'll be asking tons of questions about this little hot rod.
Steve
Avid mk4
Quickie tri q200 project


Steve S
 

The guys near me running the rx1 have hundreds of hours on them and have worked out the bugs. I'm not a fan of o200 considering all the other options out there . Where I'm at I have a 5500ft runway and plenty of room beyond for any mishap and being that I'm 150lbs on a good day weight isn't a issue. Auto conversions and all that are second nature to me since the gyros my dad had ran the ej22 so tinkering isn't a big deal . Right now the yamaha is top on the list for me . Working out bugs isn't a big deal anyway since I have a flting airplane now . 


On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST]
wrote:
 

Sounds cool. Yamaha makes great engines sportbike engines. Would you consider putting an O-200 on it first to work out all of the airframe bugs prior to having to work out engine bugs? The Q is an awesome cross country airplane but it is not a top performer in take off or landing. You will land at ~80mph and need ~2000 to get it stopped. Takeoff is maybe 1000 feet if your light and at sea level but you'll eat up some runway building up airspeed to start climbing. I say that because if you start to lose your engine on takeoff, even a 6000 foot strip at sea level would be tight to be able to land straight ahead on takeoff. Gyro planes, weight shift, slow airplanes, etc. are great for playing around with motors but something that lands with as much energy as the q does is not an ideal platform. I've done the car motor thing on my amphib (lands slow and can land safely almost anywhere) and what I found was that while the initial cost was less, the cost to get the bugs worked out was far more than the cost of an airplane motor. If you like tinkering with engines and you want to save money maybe you can look for a good deal on a disassembled o-200 with some time on it?


 I ended up replacing the suzuki motor on my amphib with an o-235 that had some time on it and was disassembled. I paid 2k for it, did the top end and re-assembly myself, designed a custom bed for the airframe and engine, designed a custom exhaust, intake, oil pan etc. and it was a fraction of what I had spent on the car motor and I spent 1/38 of the time working on it in 140 flight hours as I did in 70 flight hours on the Suzuki. I've put 50 hours on my q in the last couple of months flying across the country and all over the west coast and while I never count on the motor running to keep me alive I wouldn't trade that O-200 for ANYTHING. Also, if you are using a carbureted R1 engine you'll need to add mixture control and if your using fuel injection that you won't be able to burn 100ll. That's not a big deal on a gyro but for a cross country machine that is a game over, sure you can use additives to get rid of the lead. These things that sound like little hurdles will really eat into the mission of the Q.


If your selling yourself on the additional power and fuel consumption you could get from the R1 motor, high compression pistons, fuel injection, tuned exhaust, intake and electronic ignition on the O-200 will beat the R1 motor in power and fuel burn.  



Matthew Curcio

419.290.3773




From: Q-LIST@... on behalf of chopndrag@... [Q-LIST]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:27 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] New member just got a tri q200
 
 

I just acquired a quickie q2 project Saturday. It is in boat form ready to have the wings and gear mounted. I currently own a Avid mk4 speed wing and have 20 years of experimental aircraft building from airplanes to gyrocopters. I do not plan on using a o200 on my plane and am thinking way out of the box with the yamaha rx1 120hp motor. I know several people with them on gyros and airplanes that love them. I only got a crude manual so I'll be asking tons of questions about this little hot rod.
Steve
Avid mk4
Quickie tri q200 project


craig martin
 

Matthew,

Some great info here. I would like to get in contact with you and pick your brain on the o200 rebuild / performance mods. I have just decided to go the o200 route myself after Phil opened my eyes on the wisdom of a Q200 vs a Q1 with a rotax 503.

I see cores for the O200 are fairly cheap and plentiful, and I have the latest engine rebuild manual and parts lists.

Thanks.

Craig


Steve S
 

The guys near me running the rx1 have hundreds of hours on them and have worked out the bugs. I'm not a fan of o200 considering all the other options out there . Where I'm at I have a 5500ft runway and plenty of room beyond for any mishap and being that I'm 150lbs on a good day weight isn't a issue. Auto conversions and all that are second nature to me since the gyros my dad had ran the ej22 so tinkering isn't a big deal . Right now the yamaha is top on the list for me . Working out bugs isn't a big deal anyway since I have a flting airplane now .


Brian Hutchinson
 

Hi Steve good luck with the project. You're Q2-Tri was the one in Lakeland huh? Very cool you're considering alternative power plants which is what I'm interested in. However I agree that you may be better off using a proven power plant to start with. Learn to fly the plane, get used to its character then swap to the Yamaha. Im looking into using alternative engines primarily out of necessity as I want to build a multi engine craft. Multi engine provides a performance gain and redundancy for more safety on cross country and over water flight. I wouldn't be able to fit two certified aircraft engines in a two seater easily while staying within weight and balance. I'm making payments on a Dragonfly Kit with a VW. Similar to the Q planes. Anyway I'll be eager to see how you're project goes. I'm no expert but I'm happy to consider questions you'll have. Richard at fastlittleairplanes.com is a good resource of info on composites and quickies and dflys in particular.


Steve S
 

Yes I got the lakeland plane. The owner is a buddy of mine and I couldn't pass the deal he gave me up. To me having a motor in it to fly at first then change it isn't what I wanna do . If you look up Steve Henry from Wild West aircraft you'll see he's now running a rx1 . If he can neat the hell out of it doing stol competitions and all that back country flying without issue I'm sure my regular flying won't be an issue. My hanger neighbor has been running one for awhile now and he has had relatively no problems. If I build it with the motor or another I'm going to have to get used to it either way. Since the plane isn't done I can mount any engine in there no problem . The measurements arw already fine for the quickie cowl when I track one down . If I can't find a cowl I'll just make one . I have mold making experience and am a tig welder by trade. I also have a shop at home where I build a lot of parts for aircraft and also powder coat too. I'm very excited to start working on the plane but my only problem is having no real plans or manual for it. All I got were a manual that was a free download and I can tell it's missing a ton of info.


Sam Hoskins
 

You can go to the Quickheads website and they have most of the Q-2 plans freely available. Also, put out a plea for an experienced builder/flyer to come and look at your project. They will provide a lot of info, so you might want to video the visit.

Sam

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:42 PM chopndrag@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:
 

Yes I got the lakeland plane. The owner is a buddy of mine and I couldn't pass the deal he gave me up. To me having a motor in it to fly at first then change it isn't what I wanna do . If you look up Steve Henry from Wild West aircraft you'll see he's now running a rx1 . If he can neat the hell out of it doing stol competitions and all that back country flying without issue I'm sure my regular flying won't be an issue. My hanger neighbor has been running one for awhile now and he has had relatively no problems. If I build it with the motor or another I'm going to have to get used to it either way. Since the plane isn't done I can mount any engine in there no problem . The measurements arw already fine for the quickie cowl when I track one down . If I can't find a cowl I'll just make one . I have mold making experience and am a tig welder by trade. I also have a shop at home where I build a lot of parts for aircraft and also powder coat too. I'm very excited to start working on the plane but my only problem is having no real plans or manual for it. All I got were a manual that was a free download and I can tell it's missing a ton of info.


Mike Dwyer
 

32 years ago I bolted a 0-200A onto the front figuring that when a wizz bang awesome engine came around I'd pull it off and switch.  I'm still waiting!
Mike N3QP Q200


On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:33 PM, brianmh13@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:
 

Hi Steve good luck with the project. You're Q2-Tri was the one in Lakeland huh? Very cool you're considering alternative power plants which is what I'm interested in. However I agree that you may be better off using a proven power plant to start with. Learn to fly the plane, get used to its character then swap to the Yamaha. Im looking into using alternative engines primarily out of necessity as I want to build a multi engine craft. Multi engine provides a performance gain and redundancy for more safety on cross country and over water flight. I wouldn't be able to fit two certified aircraft engines in a two seater easily while staying within weight and balance. I'm making payments on a Dragonfly Kit with a VW. Similar to the Q planes. Anyway I'll be eager to see how you're project goes. I'm no expert but I'm happy to consider questions you'll have. Richard at fastlittleairplanes.com is a good resource of info on composites and quickies and dflys in particular.



Brian Hutchinson
 

Yeah sweet. TIG is the only welding I havnt had much experience with. A little aluminum is all. I want to practice TIG really bad and learn Titanium, Stainless, and Aluminum to proficiency. If you're very confident in using the Yamaha right off great. I was thinking the biggest trouble with starting with one engine and swapping to another would be once you started flying the excruciating downtime you would have to endure while the swap was occurring! 


Brian Hutchinson
 

There has got to be at least several people here that would be willing to make you quality copies of they're Q-2 literature. Maybe offer to shoot them a little $ for they're time. I vaguely remember reading the Q-2 had minimal or not great quality instructions but I may be wrong on that. You should give Richard, of Fast Little Airplanes a call. I imagine you're in Florida too and Fast Little Airplanes is in Georgia now. If I was that close I would go to his shop and see what he's got going on. I've spoken with Richard asking Dragonfly and Q-2 questions. He seemed happy help. 


Brian Hutchinson
 

I just saw Sam Hoskins post regarding the Literature. There you go! 


Steve S
 

I tig stainless all day at work . It's actually not that hard just gotta have the welder setup right. Swapping motors isn't hard but it's not something I want to do with a flying airplane.


Steve S
 

I go to my brothers house in South Carolina often so a stop in Georgia isn't a big deal.


Steve S
 

Well tomorrow I get to go through the boxes of parts for my quickie and see what I have and what I need . I also am going to actually take a look and see what has been done and where to start with the project. My thoughts were get the wing then landing gear on first and go from there. With regards to the canopy opening up . Do most go to the side or forward ? There's obviously pro's and cons to both but it seems side would be sturdier .


Steve S
 

Went through the boxes and boy do I need plans or a parts list . It looks to me the controls were being set up but without plans or anything It's just a guess. Overall the craftsmanship is outstanding and I can't wait to start working on it .


Kevin Boddicker
 

Maybe I missed your introduction, but who are you, where are you, who’s plane did you buy, what needs to be done, was it flying before you bought it, what engine?
Please don’t think me an ass, even though I am, but these answers will go a long way towards helping you. A lot of folks on this list will know the history of your plane, if it has flown and who flew it. 

Plans for the tri Q are the same as Q200, accept tri Q conversion plans are a separate set of documents. A few are in existence and may be available if you  ask. 
Please fill the group in.
Good luck,

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   445 hrs
Luana, IA.



On Feb 18, 2018, at 8:34 AM, chopndrag@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Went through the boxes and boy do I need plans or a parts list . It looks to me the controls were being set up but without plans or anything It's just a guess. Overall the craftsmanship is outstanding and I can't wait to start working on it . 



Steve S
 

Not a problem.My name's Steve and I got a unfinished project basically in boat form. Landing gear and wings aren't mounted . I got the project from a friend at Zephyrhills airport where I'm hangered.
Steve


Steve S
 

Not sure if it went through but my name is Steve and I fly out of Zephyrhills,Fl. The plane has never flown and is in boat stage . I got it from a buddy and don't really have any info about it . Only thing going for me is I have 20 years experience building experimental aircraft and am a tig welder fabricator by trade. The fiberglass work that's been done is really good so whoever did it knew what they were doing.
Steve


Steve S
 

Can't seem to see my post but I'm Steve and the plane has never been finished. I fly out of Zephyrhills airport in Florida and have no info on the original owner/ builder .