Reflex

Chris Walterson

I did some rough measuring today and to get +6 degrees on the ailerons I would need to move the QCSA3 down 1/4 inch.
To get -2 degrees the QCSA3 needs to be up less than 1/8th. So that would be about 3/8ths of a inch total up and down movement for the reflexor.  Seem logical??              Chris

Jay Scheevel

That sounds about right. I used the phenolic donut with eccentric hole drilled on the rotating "donut hole" design. if this doesn't make sense, contact me offline and I will send you plans.

"Dorothea Keats dkeats@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

 I did some rough measuring today and to get +6 degrees on the ailerons
I would need to move the QCSA3 down 1/4 inch.
To get -2 degrees the QCSA3 needs to be up less than 1/8th. So that
would be about 3/8ths of a inch total up and down movement for the
reflexor.  Seem logical??              Chris

Chris Walterson

Thanks for the offer Jay, but it is already built like the plans from a fellow  in Canada in one of the old newletters.
  Canada Chris

Richard Thomson

Jay,

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

Jay Scheevel

Time will tell, Richard, Time will tell.

I have an alternate setup on my reflexor. Two photos are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at
the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Note. All controls linkeages passing through the baggage area need to be shrouded.

Time will tell, Richard, Time will tell.

I have an alternate setup on my reflexor. Two photos are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at
the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

quickieaircraft

Neat setup.

(I am sure you are planning to enclose the leads.)

Please take care with working on the reflexor. I think you will find that your left stick is just as powerful a control as the elevator if not more.  Is that a throttle linkage sitting below it? I have a little bit of a tab on my reflexor and I prefer to fly with sleeves rolled up--I get nervous that a sleeve edge will catch on a handle when reaching past one control for the other.  Dave Dugas's and Jerry Marstall have some of the tougher reflexor locations to accidentally bump.

I doubt there will be much change in fuselage geometry due to thermal or structural loads, but I expect that your cable and its joints may stretch some initially.  If you are able to integrate a spring around the turnbuckle to apply a pre-load in parallel to the cable, you might be able to reduce your maintenance load on that item.

Just for reference, mine is a throttle-type cable glued to the interior wall of the fuselage.  IE, a push pull cable inside a ribbed metal sleeve.  It is wired to a lever arm that has a decent amount of friction against a phenolic block that has a step or two machined in it so it the lever "clicks" into place at either end and at neutral.

-if

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 7:52:14 AM CDT, Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST]

Note. All controls linkeages passing through the baggage area need to be shrouded.

Time will tell, Richard, Time will tell.

I have an alternate setup on my reflexor. Two photos are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at
the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Jerry. That is partially on my to-do list and partially on my to-done list.

Note. All controls linkeages passing through the baggage area need to be shrouded.

Time will tell, Richard, Time will tell.

I have an alternate setup on my reflexor. Two photos are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at
the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

Jay Scheevel

Here’s my tunnel/shroud for the aileron torque tube looking aft from the cockpit, pilot’s side made from 1/16” aircraft plywood with 2 plies of glass for strength.

Thanks Jerry. That is partially on my to-do list and partially on my to-done list.

Note. All controls linkeages passing through the baggage area need to be shrouded.

Time will tell, Richard, Time will tell.

I have an alternate setup on my reflexor. Two photos are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

Do you fly as well as you calculate :-) ??

Well gang,

Does everyone have the studs in the phenolic ring for stops ?

and how much friction has everyone got a) at the cockpit lever & b) at
the Donut lever ?

( yes I know some have got vernier adjustment).

Rich T

UK.

Chris Walterson

Jay--------------  Like all the pictures. Giving me some ideas. Looking at your relexor, is your QCSA3 part the stock part?.
I think there was a advisory to make the part narrower for better aileron response.  If it's done , disregard the message.
Chris

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Imraan,

There is always inadequacy when posting a preliminary photo of an assembly. This is a photo is of the finished product so may allay some of your concerns. The lever is far enough forward that I have to reach forward to get a hand on it and it cannot be bumped by my leg. This shows the current location of the throttle and other engine controls in their dedicated sub-panel above the reflexor handle.  I have test-flexed the fuselage to its full load capacity and the installation of the cable sustains no ill effects. I originally had a push-pull cable for the reflexor but deep-sixed that because I did not like the play in the cable and linkage.  My handle has a friction lock that is progressive,  and actuated by twisting the handle. I can put as much resistance on the handle as I wish and it moves smoothly without binding or skipping, just requires progressively more force to move, or I can completely lock it by twisting it enough.  The range of motion is such that you have to pull the top of the handle back about 3 inches to get from neutral to 6 degrees of upward aileron deflection. The position of the handle in the picture puts the aileron in the neutral position.

By the way, yesterday I received the replacements for the cardboard “avionics” in this photo. Can’t wait to plug them in and test. I am now licking my wounds and apologizing to the wife for what these things cost!

[...]

Paul Fisher

Looks really nice Jay!  I hope your headset connectors aren't in the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person... oh, and you too!

Paul

On Mar 20, 2018 6:20 PM, "'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul,

Have sat in it with headsets plugged into both sides and clearances are all good. I have to reach around with my left hand to adjust intercom volume and squelch but that is not difficult. The seat backs put me far enough forward that there is no problem with interference. In fact leads are nicely out of the way. I put my EFIS in yesterday and it fired up properly when I switched on the avionics switch. If you did not know better, you would think I knew what I was doing when I wired everything! For you low-landers, if you only looked at the altimeter, you would probably think I was already flying.

[...]

Dave Dugas

Very nice….you’re on the home stretch!

Dave D.

[...]

I am sending a few pictures of my reflex. It is cable operated and the control sits in front of the throttle nicely.  The relex limit stops will be installed later. The wheel on the right is an elevator trim wheel and the slot of the left is an OOPS. The cables at the back are for aileron trim.
 Also sending a few pictures of my elevators that allow three AN3 bolts to hold it in place. One is together and the other apart for explanation.  I had flutter on my Dragonfly years ago and  that gave me an intolerance for any slop.[ Also scared the crap out of me]
I am installing dual controls and found out there is not much room for co pilot stick.  The interconnect rod is snug due to the rounded fuselage, but I made it fit.
Everything is only temporary and aircraft hardware will be used on final assembly. Any crtisism is appreciated.
 Take care-----------------  Chris

Jay Scheevel

This work all looks very nice. Only a couple thoughts. I would suggest replacing the tubes on the aileron trim cables with pulleys mounted about where the cables turn the corner going through the bulkhead. Given that the ailerons will be continuously active, any tension on those cables will cause them to quickly saw through those curved fairleads or cause the cable to break and will cause binding. All of these may prove to be a problem. I think that the official guidance on fairleads is that they only alter the cable direction a degree or so, if it is much more than that, then a pulley is recommended. Also, I notice you have made a wider edge on the bulkheads. Good idea for the FS 95, but maybe not for the FS 120. You may need to crawl through that hole to reach something in the tail cone, unless you have another access port back there, or you are very skinny. Keep up the good work, you are moving right along.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building

Jay-----------------  Thanks for the info on the cables, but the cables themselves move very little. There is a tension spring that goes from the motion changer to the cables.  Not in the picture. This way, you move the cable to set the ailerons and during flight turns,  the spring moves and not the cable.  On my airplane I set the aileron trim for me only and when I take a passenger it is another setting. The passenger weight does make a difference.
 I will check with my inspector if I need the pullys. Easy to change.  Take care----------------  Chris