From: "Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 4/30/18 6:12 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Test

Test.
Kevin B.

Joel Vess

Jerry,
I understand you live in Asheville NC.   My brother and I purchased a Q2 as a rebuild project and was looking for someone close by that could take us a ride in Q2 to see the operating characteristics first hand for this wonderful airplane.  We live in Shelby NC and fly out of KEHO.   Would you be willing to take us up sometime?

Thanks
Joel W Vess  

On Monday, April 30, 2018, 8:06:00 PM EDT, Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] wrote:

Testee

-------- Original message --------
To: Q-LIST@...

Test.
Kevin B.

Jerry Marstall

Hello Joel.  I have a tricycle Q.  Flying characteristics are same as tail dragger, but takeoff and landings vastly different.
What do you guys weigh? 

On Tue, May 1, 2018, 2:16 PM Joel Vess jvess0130@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Jerry,
I understand you live in Asheville NC.   My brother and I purchased a Q2 as a rebuild project and was looking for someone close by that could take us a ride in Q2 to see the operating characteristics first hand for this wonderful airplane.  We live in Shelby NC and fly out of KEHO.   Would you be willing to take us up sometime?

Thanks
Joel W Vess  

On Monday, April 30, 2018, 8:06:00 PM EDT, Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Testee

-------- Original message --------
From: "Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>

Test.
Kevin B.

Kevin Boddicker

Test 2
My desktop won’t let me send to the list
My iPad did last night. 
Thus test 1
Kevin B

On Apr 30, 2018, at 6:12 PM, Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Test.
Kevin B.

Kevin Boddicker

This was sent last Monday, and again last night. It did not go through. Trying again. 

Second flight of the year was yesterday. Usually I fly all winter, on days above 25°F. But, this winter was spent waiting. I’ll explain.
As I had reported in December, I had carb ice after TO from DEH. Flew to see Fisher in DVN, flew home and figured out what had happened.
I had tried to use one heat muff for carb and cabin heat. I must have been lucky for the last twelve years, but it caught up with me, and I needed to make a change as a safety of flight issue. (Through the years I have had carb ice in TO six times.) It seems that when I used carb heat, with cabin heat on, the air would flow from the cabin, across the muff and into the carb. Rather than through the length of the muff as thought. Not enough temp rise to rapidly melt ice. With cabin heat off, all was fine. The air would enter in one end of the muff, travel through the muff and exit the opposite end. The cabin heat exit was opposite the carb heat exit, therefore the air flow was across the muff rather than through the muff. Clear as mud?

Anyway I decided to make a PVC mock up of what I needed and send it off to the fellow that made the first muff. Also send the offending muff for alteration, along with the exhaust pipe and PVC mock up so he could make the new muff fit perfectly. Thus I would use the modified muff for carb heat, as it had already proven to be effective, and the new muff would be for cabin heat. Excellent plan.

Sent the old muff, along with the exhaust pipe, with PVC in place, to him. USPS LOST the whole works! Two weeks later they found it, delivered it, without the old muff and the PVC mock up. Just the exhaust pipe. That’s not good. Only thing to do was send out the original mock up, with changes made, and have him make that new again too. He would make the new muff from photos I had sent to him. He did a fantastic job, after he got his welder fixed, as it had broken down at the start of the project. Do you see pattern here? 

Long story longer. UPS claimed to have delivered the second package, when in fact they had not. Pattern? Two days later, after filing a claim with UPS, they managed to find said package and did deliver. He got the welder fixed. Finished the fabrication. I sent a check. He sent the goods. 

First mailing date to him was Feb 12. Received the goods April 16. Didn’t think I would ever see the day!

Sooo, I put things together yesterday. Figured out all the scat hose to make all the connections, and fired that mutha up.

Flew around the airport for safety, tried carb heat at altitude, and no issues.  OAT was too warm to try cabin heat, but I think it will be better that before, because it is dedicated, rather that a combo unit. Did two T&G’s and one landing. All 8’s on a scale of 10.

Damn it was good to be back in the air!!!
Big smile.

Keep building, it’s worth it!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   446 hrs
Luana, IA.

Jim Patillo

Kev,

Reading you 5x5. Glad to hear you are back in the air again! Felt kind of strange after being out of the Q for so long, didn’t it.

Safe flying my friend.

Jim
N46JP Q200 - Weekly commuter via Q