Happy Camper

Jay Scheevel

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Kevin Boddicker

Very good!
How she handle?
Kevin B

On May 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Jay Scheevel

wants to pull left. working on that now.

"Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Very good!
How she handle?
Kevin B

On May 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

<image003.jpg>

Paul Fisher

Yeah, that grin isn't going to wear off for quite a while!!

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 9:53 PM 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Jay Scheevel

Hi Paul,

Been trying to call you but just get your answering machine. Will try again today.

"Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Yeah, that grin isn't going to wear off for quite a while!!

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 9:53 PM 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Wow!  You have a lot of teeth. J

Yeah, that grin isn't going to wear off for quite a while!!

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 9:53 PM 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Bruce Crain

quickieaircraft

Wants to pull left?

Probably because even airplanes are attracted to the Quickie Pilot.  Try taxi-ing from the right seat like Jerry and it'll veer right!

Congratulations!  Hope to hear more about it in person in a couple weeks!

Best,
IF

On Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:42:53 AM CDT, 'jcrain2@...' jcrain2@... [Q-LIST] wrote:

Is that a pic right out of GQ or what!!
Bruce

Please note: message attached

From: "'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST]"
Subject: [Q-LIST] Happy Camper
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 20:53:11 -0600

He Transformed His Gut With One Thing
gundrymd.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5af0799c192ac799b2d74st01vuc

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

No it won't unless it's a VW.  Jerry

From: "'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 20:53:11 -0600

He Transformed His Gut With One Thing
gundrymd.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5af0799c192ac799b2d74st01vuc

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Kevin Boddicker

Don’t know how long it has been since you met with the brakes, but mine went to the left severely.
Turns out the brake calipers were not floating properly. Basically had no brakes. Took them apart, took all the corrosion off, and they worked fine.
Now at annual, or more frequently, I check the freedom of the float.
Just one data point.
Good luck.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   447 hrs
Luana, IA.

On May 7, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Jay Scheevel jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

wants to pull left. working on that now.

"Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Very good!
How she handle?
Kevin B

On May 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Jay Scheevel

thanks Kevin, I will check that.

[...]

Jerry Marstall

Is this left pulling problem only on T.O. roll or power on taxing?

On Mon, May 7, 2018, 10:23 PM Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jerry,

Not doing an T.O. rolls yet. It pulls left on slow taxi. Almost more than I can correct with right brake. I think that I will check Kevin’s idea. I also noticed that the fork pivot is not vertical (when viewed from the front). It has about 1 degree of tilt toward the right side of the airplane (pilot’s right). This will make the fork want to pivot to the right, making the plane go left. I will definitely fix that, even if the problem turns out to be what Kevin said.

[...]

Brad Baerg

Hi Jay, I had the same problem with my Tri Q.  First check toe in / out, ( I used .125 total out) then, if it’s left, put a shim under the front

2 bolts (between the spindle and the leg) on the right and the same shim under the rear bolts on the left.

The nose wheel doesn’t care about it’s alignment with the mains.

Brad

On May 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@scheevel..com [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Now I am confused. The Tri-Q installation instruction clearly state that toe-in is required and give the parameters for that.

Jay

[...]

Jay, that is what I used. If you want to try it on one side shim only shim the right side . It is a trial and error process.

Now I am confused. The Tri-Q installation instruction clearly state that toe-in is required and give the parameters for that.

Jay

Earnest Martin <MartinErni@...>

Jay, you are correct, the plans call for toe in and here is why. When you touch down on landing the gear spreads scrubbing the tire outward and dissipating energy. Toe out would cause the gear too collapse even further when rolling forward putting more stress on the gear leg and delaying the gear recovery. Also the wheel with the most weight on it will tend to steer in the opposite direction hopefully stabilizing the direction. This is how Scott Swing explained it to me for his Tri-gear kit. It might work differently with the conventional (to use the term liberally) gear.

Earnest Martin
40 Glen Cove Drive
Arden NC 28704-3219
828-230-5378

[...]

Thanks Earnest. I set in what was called for in Scott’s plans. I think I have traced the problem to the fork pivot orientation. The pivot cants forward significantly. I have not measured the angle yet, but it looks to be more than the “perfect 2 degrees” called for in the Tri-Q conversion builder tips #2. The pivot also is tilted about 1 degree to the to the left side of the plane. Need to fix this since there should be no bias there. Pull the plane down the runway with a tether on the nose gear leg (above the pivot flange) and it wants to “hunt” back and forth significantly with a bias to the left (pilot’s side). When the plane is pulled backward, the fork pivots around “backwards” and is very stable. So here is the question. What is the reason for the plans calling forward tilt to the pivot?  It seems to be much more stable and predictable when the fork is backwards. Seems like the pivot should be vertical or even tilted back a bit. Can anyone (with the initial I F) explain this to me?

On May 7, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Jay Scheevel jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

wants to pull left. working on that now.

"Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Very good!

How she handle?

Kevin B

On May 6, 2018, at 9:53 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@scheevel..com [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Did some taxi testing yesterday, but this photo shows a happy camper after getting my finished doors back on the plane.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 getting ready to ciertificate

Earnest Martin <MartinErni@...>

The more forward the caster the higher centering but when you get the caster too high it gets hard to turn so it’s a balancing act. I’d love to hear an explanation of how this really works.