Langley_wind_tunnel_on_Q.pdf

Jay Scheevel

Sage advice, Bruce. Thank you very much for sharing this. I am making a mental checklist of just how to handle the touchy pitch so as to avoid getting behind the airplane and your description is very clear.

From: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:36 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Langley_wind_tunnel_on_Q.pdf

For the TriQ it will not let  you get the nose off the runway before it is ready to fly.  Plus if you manage to pop the Q off the runway at it's slowest speed you can very easily get PIO and also a mush with control issues with respect to the ailerons.  A very touchy situation.  One of our guys killed himself on 1st flight perhaps by not reacting quickly enough with just the right inputs.

Holding the elevator all the was back or popping it off the runway with pulling hard back on the stick will put you in this scenario.  You can put the stick about midway and let the nose gear get light and when the nose get off just push forward on the stick enough to let the airspeed accelerate enough to give it a slight tug on the stick and then make the inputs needed to keep form PIO.

Hope this is clearer than mud.

Bruce

From: "'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 17:23:44 -0600

Talked to a few people at Kevin’s spring fling about this, but a few pictures are better than a lot of talk. I superimposed some Langley Wind tunnel pics on top of the Q canard so you can see where the turbulent air mass caused by the stall ends up. Obviously over-rotation is not a good thing. This could happen in an accelerated maneuver or on the runway in a Tri-Q. If it happens on the runway (only possible in a Tri-Q), the CG rotates aftward very close to, or perhaps even behind, the main gear axis and there is no recovery except to apply brakes and get the nose back down. PDF attached for your consideration.

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy (
Wise Med
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b05606b715ad606b2bd6st02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Right. Yours is roaring down the runway, but mine will be purring like a kitten 😊

From: "'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 09:48:22 -0600

That is another good point, Bruce. My computer modeling is all done with the main’s fixed in position relative to the fuselage. In the case you describe below, you are making effective use of the main gear unflexing gradually, and staying in contact with the ground as you unload it slowly and how this helps stabilize the takeoff.

Into the mental checklist this one goes as well….Thanks again.

What I meant to say is you can get the Q to ride on just the mains for a bit to accelerate more before you haul her off.  It gives you a bit more airspeed and better control.

Bruce

[...]

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b05647897b9f64787d86st04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Unbelievable German World War 2 Photo Shocks Americans
pro.naturalhealthresponse.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b05f7ffc113177ff3331st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Bruce Crain