Fuel tank vent

One Sky Dog

Hello Q drivers,

Does anyone vent the fuel tank with the vent located on top of the fuselage just ahead of the canopy? If so how does that work out?

Mine is under the fuselage near the exhaust discharge. I am thinking about relocating it.

Thanks,

One Sky Dog

My You Tube Channel " One Sky Dog " https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3x6bkHUw1UUQ96ATcRFfg

Richard Thomson

Bruce Crain

smeshno1@...

Something to ponder is this extraction from a Plane and Pilot article on the subject.

"You can learn a lot about aerodynamics and fuel systems from Experimental-certified aircraft. We owe a lot to pioneers like the Wright Brothers and Glenn Curtiss, WWII airplane manufacturers, homebuilders, test pilots and, of course, aerobatic pilots.

A friend who flies a Cassutt Racer told me about fuel venting issues he’s heard about on two different racers. The Cassutt has its fuel tank located in front of the cockpit, above the pilot’s knees. The easiest solution for a tank vent is to stick a small pipe up through the top of the tank.. The one concept overlooked with this design is that at lower speeds there is a low pressure area in front of the windshield. This low pressure is stronger than the gravity feed to the carburetor, and after slowing to approach speed for a half minute or so, the engine would quit, as you can imagine.

He says, “It’s quite exciting when doing touch-and-goes, which turned into touch-and-go—when the engine quits, landing with a dead-stick prop. The vent line was redirected down the gear leg, and the problem was resolved.” He goes on to say another such venting issue occurred where the Cassutt wouldn’t run at anything above quarter power in flight. The culprit was the vent line broke at the front of the fuel tank, venting the tank to the inside of the airplane, which is also in a low-pressure area, interrupting the gravity feed of the fuel."

 Perhaps a high pressure area such as noted on the gear pointing forward is a viable location. Also a very good idea to braze or solder on a small cap of fine metal screen to keep those pesky mud daubers out. This same article has a storyline on a dauber having caused serious worry on a Baron. I also have had this fun experience only my altimeter static port enjoyed a bug visit!  On preflight there was no evidence of an invasion but there sure was on takeoff roll. I aborted and took me an hour or more to clean the tubing.out. I made a suction cup cap with a "remove before flight" flag after that event.

Yes I vented mine out the top of the header tank and it is about 3" tall.  I did it because I had some perceived problems with the engine slowing down in cruise.  I think it was either fuel spilling out of the vent tube or the bottom of the tube was to close to the exit at the bottom of the cowling.  There is a small low pressure area immediately after the bottom of the opening of the cowl.  Did you address that in a post a few years back?  Someone had figured out the low pressure area aft of the cowl at one time.
Bruce

Does anyone vent the fuel tank with the vent located on top of the fuselage just ahead of the canopy? If so how does that work out?

Mine is under the fuselage near the exhaust discharge. I am thinking about relocating it.

Thanks,

One Sky Dog

My You Tube Channel " One Sky Dog " https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3x6bkHUw1UUQ96ATcRFfg
www.youtube.com
Living the Dream making it happen. Sign in now to see your channels and recommendations!

German Doctors Caught Hiding True Cause of Cancer
pro.healthresponses.org
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b99ecb6c16fe6cb63290st01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

One Sky Dog

Bruce,

I read in Tony B’s book you should not locate the vent by the exhaust. Mine has been on the bottom and I would experience porting fuel overboard on occasion with full header. I was thinking I have a lot of tubing to prevent that and to vent 3 tanks. There is also that high pressure bubble ahead of the canopy. It would be a lot simpler to come out the top by the header tank. I was just checking for unforeseen gotchas before cutting holes.

I had not mentioned the low pressure area behind the cowl good point. I am trying to lower the pressure in that area to get more flow through the cowl.

Regards,

Charlie

P.S Multiple ownerships can be a problem. I have been dealing with insurance issues on the mighty Cessna 172. I am not currently covered and have not been able to do my flight review. I am rusty so if I get insurance I might be able to fly. If not?

On Sep 12, 2018, at 10:49 PM, 'jcrain2@...' jcrain2@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Spackman

Charle,
I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.

Aeronca Champ has used the forward facing vent on the gas cap, just in front of the glass for about 80 years or so. Seems to work fine, probably per Charlies comment on a high pressure area just forward of the windscreen. My vent is still on the bottom, sort of per plans, but I have moved it to the right and put it on the canard root strake, so it sticks down farther into the airstream. We shall see how that works. I have two fuel pumps, just in case. I also don’t know why you could not have two vents, in two different places.

I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.

Nancy Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

I have two header tank vents.  One under each side of the canard.  If one gets plugged, the other prevents me from having a vacuum lock.  Periodically I blow into each of them to make sure neither is blocked.

I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.

Sam Hoskins

My vent comes out of the bottom, per Q-200 plans, sits about 5" below the fuselage, just aft of the spar. Served me well for 2,000 hours. Naturally, everyone else's mileage may vary.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 4:00 PM wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Charle,
I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.

One Sky Dog

Thanks for all the input. The vent is moving to the top simplifying my vent plumbing. 3 tanks 1 vent.

Charlie

On Sep 13, 2018, at 6:39 AM, Charlie oneskydog@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

The canard and wing are completed.. ailerons and flaps (elevators) still to go. I'll be at the Field of Dreams all three days

since I live only about 100 Miles East of Enid. I used to live in Alva Oklahoma and nearly accepted the job as Airport Manager

there until Boeing again offered to fill the bank account faster. Flown into Enid a few times too. Ponca also.

 Right now I am on Contract at Triumph Aerostructures in Tulsa working in Manufacturing Engineering on the G280 wing

program. Just came back last month from Israel where the wing travels to join the rest of the airplane.  I was there a month

on support so that slowed my projects down a bit here in the States!

 The fuel vent is a topic I have mulled over a few times too. I have a MKII gear, no Anhedral Canard. I'm going to attach vents

to the gear leg facing forward and it is reasonable to consider vent on both gear. I'm bringing my camera and it'll good to meet

 everyone in Enid..   I sure missed seeing any Tandem Wing at Arlington E.A.A. the last time I attended.

 Enid is a good location for folks that have not been there. Just big enough you can get most of what you'd like or need

and not so large that it's no longer a down home feeling.

 I've decided to fly the required test hours at Cushing since the airports my direction from Tulsa are mostly Hills and Trees terrain, so

yes..I'm considering the FrankenBird (as I call it) will arrive flat and hot over the numbers very similar to the Q2. I'm as yet undecided

if I will base from Cushing or move to Pogue in Sand Springs after the flight testing is completed.

Verne I didn't know you were that far along on your Dragonfly!    Way to go!  You'll be joining the "Pack" in the near future looks like!

I have not had a problem with nose high attitude with my fuel tank vent.  The Quickie comes in a little flatter over the numbers than the Cassuitt but I have never had a problem when doing power on or power off stalls.

Bruce

[...]

This Simple Method "Ends" Tinnitus - Try Tonight
tracking.2xtracking.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5b9a6d04c09366d044f2fst02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Paul Fisher

Mine is the same as Sam's - on the bottom 5 or so inches below the fuselage just aft of the spar.  Although I've only got about 1,650 hours on mine, so I defer to Sam's experience!  ;-)

Paul A. Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 22:33 Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Ditto! Same as Sam and Paul, worked fine since 2000.

Jim
N46JP
Q200-1500 +

David Cyr

Regardless of where the probe is located, I think it best to have it terminate down the overflow tube inside the header tank (per plans).  We had the probe on the bottom, terminated inside the fuel filler pipe, just below thae cap.  Idea being less likely to collect rain and fuel would not flow out if the plane were inverted.  After all, it didn't matter where the pressure was applied, it would be equal throughout the fuel system; so we thought.  If you want to read the story of why this was NOT a good idea, go to http://eaa266.org/projects/eaa266-projects-david_cyr.htm

Dave Hudak

Since Paul brought it up...
     Here are a couple of photos of my set up. I broke the canard in 2005 due to an engine stop. Then spent the next twelve years building a new house for my wife and myself with a hangar underneath. We finally moved in last march so I am thinking it is time to retrieve the Q-Bird from the ceiling and REBUILD!
Thanks for keeping the dream alive and well,
Dave

Powerhouse Electric, Inc.
201 Cavu Avenue / Kalispell, MT  59901
Office:   406-257-2677

David Hudak, Pres.
Master Electrician
Serving the Flathead Valley over 30 years!!

On Thursday, September 13, 2018, 3:00:08 PM MDT, wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST] wrote:

Charle,
I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.

Dave Hudak

All,
     The engine stoppage on mine had nothing whatsoever to do with fuel issues. It was all about overheating a liquid cooled engine too many times. The fuel vent worked flawlessly on both the original VW engine and later on the Subaru EA81.
Thanks, Dave

On Friday, September 14, 2018, 12:14:01 PM MDT, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST]

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Hi Dave,

I think I saw a clip about Reg Clarke's Q2 departing runway and getting damaged about a month ago. Are you familiar with what happened? Hope it is not damaged too badly. It is a very nice plane.

Here is a CFD solution for the original Q2 shape (at cruise AOA), showing pressure distribution. Light green-yellow is static pressure (atmosphere), the blue is increased pressure, the red is decreased pressure. This should be good to help locate the probe in a location of relatively higher pressure.