From: "wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 3/26/19 9:22 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] ADS-B options

There are a lot of good options out there now. If you have a legacy transponder Uavionix has some options for less than $1500. The Echo bundle which you can get into for under $1000 with the rebate. Their Skybecon is another option. Trig avionics has a bundle that includes TT22 mode S transponder 1090 ES, TN 72 GPS and TA 70 for under $2700 if panel space is limited this one is the best option. That is what I installed in my Avid also installed the Echo in a friend's plane and both were easy enough to install and program. The Echo is 978 UAT. WITH BOTH of these you will also need some way to see the ADSB in. Just having in will not allow you to see a lot of the traffic by the FAA's design. These are just the ones I have experience with there are many options out there. Just being able to fly into Rule air space is not the only reason to install ADSB. Being seen is top on my list. Just having the in only saved my bacon twice and convinced me to take the plunge and that happened out in the middle of nowhere. There are also some downsides, the FAA will know if you violate airspace, TFR's , NOAA sanctuaries (hope you guys on the coasts know about those, BIG fines) and plans on sending out tickets in the mail.

Mike Dwyer

As I understand it the FAA can fine you but they have no way to collect the fine.  My plan, if I ever get fined is to just ignore it.
Fly Safe,
Mike

Bruce Crain

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

I'll come to see you on visitation days.

As I understand it the FAA can fine you but they have no way to collect the fine.  My plan, if I ever get fined is to just ignore it.

Fly Safe,
Mike

I went with Uavonix bundle for $1,399.00

Jim
N46JP Q200

Paul Spackman

Nice Jim, did you get it installed and apply for the rebate yet? That is the unite I installed for my friend.
Paul

Jim Patillo

Hey Paul, nice to hear from you!

FAA Rebate on Uavonix Echo and GPS SkyFyx doesn’t apply. Manufacturer says rebate only applies to wingtip version.

Trying to find a good location to install components. Maybe directly behind seat back bulkhead. GPS antenna needs to face up. Transponder Wifi interrogation antenna needs to point down like transponder antenna.

Regards,

Jim
N46JP Q200

Paul Spackman

Jim, I just checked the FAA rebate application site and it appears to me that the Echo will qualify. I know Uavionix also had a rebate program of their own but that is something different.

Jim Patillo

Paul,

The only Uavonix ADSB I see approved on the FAA site is the SkyBeacon. Where do you see the approval for Echo? It would be nice to get an additional $500.00 off.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Paul Spackman

After a closer look you are correct, I was looking at the general testing form. Anyway the Echo is still a great buy.
Paul

Paul Spackman

Here is a link to a form to use to get your unit proved out once it is installed. This is not the right place to check for a rebate report. For those needing to do that it should be done from the rebate site.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

Paul

Corbin

Am I correct in thinking the Echo works with any mode C and can be installed easily by oneself?

Corbin

Matthew Curcio

Yes

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Mar 27, 2019, at 06:00, Corbin Geiser c_geiser@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Am I correct in thinking the Echo works with any mode C and can be installed easily by oneself?

Corbin

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Paul!

I have my transponder, but still need to install. I will use this once I get it in and running.