Minimum tire size

Shaun Milke

After rebuilding the stock hydraulic brake system in my Q200 last year and finding a lot of problems that will eventually require replacement of wheels, calipers, axles and mounting structure, I've started looking at ways to increase efficiency rather than buying direct replacement parts and rebuilding the stock design.  I plan to at least refine the fairing of the wheel pants and install new wheels, so I'm wondering what the minimum practical wheel and tire sizes really are.  I'm considering using 11-4.00x5 tires and wheels and rebuilding the structural portion of the wheel pants so that the original ground pitch attitude is unchanged.  My main concern is that these tires will be unacceptably stiff and I'm not really willing to sacrifice the ability to land on unpaved runways, for me that's one of the main advantages of the quickie over all the pushers.  What I'd like to know is- what is the smallest tire anyone has ever installed on a quickie and what were the results?

-Shaun

Sam Hoskins

Those are the tires I use. Sometimes called lamb tires. I inflate them to 50 psi.

Shaun Milke

Great to know someone has tried them Sam!  What kind of landing weights have you gone up to?  Can you give a description of how practical they are on unpaved runways (mostly thinking dirt and gravel, but any experiences on grass or turf would be good to know as well).  I'm trying to get an idea of whether tires that small make the landing loads so high that anything but pavement is reserved for every now and then or if it can be done as a relatively normal operation.

Thanks,
Shaun

From: Q-LIST@... <Q-LIST@...> on behalf of sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:40 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Minimum tire size

Those are the tires I use. Sometimes called lamb tires. I inflate them to 50 psi.

Sam Hoskins

Sorry, I should have provided some more information.

I do not land on rough fields or grass. You're going to be taking off and landing at roughly 70 miles an hour. Sometimes more. I just don't have any interest in taxing the system at all. There are a few of the guys who have landed on grass but not me. There have been a few occasions where I have flown with a gross weight of 1300 lbs.

That is a small wheel and it is turning pretty darn fast, and you don't have any real shock absorbers other than the canard itself.

Paul Fisher

I agree with Sam.  I've never landed on grass and I don't intend to ever do so.  One small gopher hole could ruin your whole day.

I also use the standard Lamb tires.

Paul Fisher
Q-200, N17PF ~1650 hours over 28.5 years

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019, 15:05 sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Sorry, I should have provided some more information.

I do not land on rough fields or grass. You're going to be taking off and landing at roughly 70 miles an hour. Sometimes more. I just don't have any interest in taxing the system at all. There are a few of the guys who have landed on grass but not me. There have been a few occasions where I have flown with a gross weight of 1300 lbs.

That is a small wheel and it is turning pretty darn fast, and you don't have any real shock absorbers other than the canard itself.