From: "wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 4/13/19 8:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] High speed taxi

Corbin, I see in your latest video you are planning some high speed taxi tests and crow hops. Both of those will increase your odds of an accident with very little benefit IMHO. Adverse yaw is also a big factor on roll out and can cause the bird to dart opposite the direction of the stick move. There are lots of pilots on here with lots of hours that may have some suggestions about these ideas.

c_geiser@...

Thanks guys!  Just so I am sure, what is LOC?  Also, the low to medium to high speed taxi work is what is recommended in the POH I have seen.  If these are no longer the preferred methods I would love hearing recommendations as I plan on starting very soon.

I was planning on slow reduction since I am on a 7,000ft runway.

Thanks again.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

LOC - Loss Of Control

Thanks guys!  Just so I am sure, what is LOC?  Also, the low to medium to high speed taxi work is what is recommended in the POH I have seen.  If these are no longer the preferred methods I would love hearing recommendations as I plan on starting very soon.

I was planning on slow reduction since I am on a 7,000ft runway.

Thanks again.

Paul Fisher

I agree, be very careful with power changes at high speed.  It can get away from you really quickly.  If you've got 7000 feet plan on using it all.

I wouldn't plan for anything faster than 60-65 MPH for taxi tests.  Anything faster and you risk departing the runway.  Which brings up another point.  ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and carry enough fuel just in case you do get off the ground.  You need to be prepared to fly because you don't know your exact lift off speed (nor do you know if your airspeed indicator is accurate).  You may think you are just doing taxi tests, but becoming airborne is a definite possibility.

Good luck and be safe!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019, 07:24 Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Rapid reduction in power at high speed definitely invites LOC.  Slow reduction in power invites the possibility of going off the end of the runway.

Moderate speed taxi with slow acceleration and reduction to get feel for A/C more beneficial.  I agree with Paul.
Jerry

Corbin, I see in your latest video you are planning some high speed taxi tests and crow hops. Both of those will increase your odds of an accident with very little benefit IMHO. Adverse yaw is also a big factor on roll out and can cause the bird to dart opposite the direction of the stick move. There are lots of pilots on here with lots of hours that may have some suggestions about these ideas.

David J. Gall

Corbin, I worry for your safety. You seem much too cavalier in your approach to this task. Please let an experienced Q driver do your taxi testing and initial test flights. At the least, wear a helmet....

Corbin Geiser <c_geiser@...>

Thanks David.  Do you mean beyond the training I’ve already done with my instructor that received the Q200 training from the builder?  What’s your recommendation?

Corbin

On Apr 14, 2019, at 2:08 AM, David@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Corbin, I worry for your safety. You seem much too cavalier in your approach to this task. Please let an experienced Q driver do your taxi testing and initial test flights. At the least, wear a helmet....

Sam Hoskins

I have met with Corbin and he is doing this all in the right fashion. He's been cautious when there has been issues with the aircraft, he is a very current pilot, he has had the aircraft repositioned to a wide and long runway, and he is taking things logically. I think he's got over 10 hours in this aircraft himself, in the right seat. I think he's doing about as well as we might expect. Certainly, he is going into this with much more experience than I had with my first flight.

Sam